Would Nissan Maxima Wheels fit a 94 Q45a?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
banshee08
Car: 2008 Altima Hybrid

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if Nissan Maxima 17" wheels fit on my 1994 Q45a? And if so could you advise on tire size.

To be certain I mean these wheels:

http://tinyurl.com/aya7w

Thanks in advance

Jesda

Yes, they will fit. I'll let someone else advise on tires.

banshee08

Thanks. greatly appreciated. I was hoping to use 235/45R17 or 225/50R17 tires

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

banshee- i had 17x7's on my g35, running 215/55 17 [factory oem]. i'm no expert, but i think the max runs 225/50 on also a 17x7. i know 225 is about the width limit you wanna put on a 7 inch width [pinching].

okay, now for the selfish part: did/does your [converted] Q have the BBS wheels? If so, lemme know--i'll wanna take at least one from you.

banshee08

Okay. 225/50R17 it is then. As for the selfish part, no I don't have the BBS wheels. I wish I did in which case I would not be looking to upgrade. MY dealer installed 16 Chrome wheels are starting to show its age and I thought is was time to give the car a gift (okay the wheels are really for my enjoyment but need to rationalize it somehow).
GQ Jay wrote:banshee- i had 17x7's on my g35, running 215/55 17 [factory oem]. i'm no expert, but i think the max runs 225/50 on also a 17x7. i know 225 is about the width limit you wanna put on a 7 inch width [pinching].

okay, now for the selfish part: did/does your [converted] Q have the BBS wheels? If so, lemme know--i'll wanna take at least one from you.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hmmm ... I am not sure if I would recommend this wheel for a Q45!

The problem is the 7" width - your tire selection gets limited. The 225/50-17 gives you the correct rolling diameter, but most of the tires are 93 or 94 load index (with only one at 98 - the Continental ContiSportContact 2).

The point being that it is better to be higher than the recommended 95, not lower.

A 245/45-17 tire has better load index choices, but it needs a 7.5" width wheel at least - this is the minimum. You might be able to stretch that requirement a bit and fit it onto a 7.0" width wheel, but not what I would feel comfortable recommending.

IMHO, you would be better off finding a 17x7.5 or 17x8.0 wheels. But the choice is yours!

Z

szh

Okay, a better answer from me. And, this would allow the use of 7" wheels.

I suggest you use 235/50-17 tires rather than 225/50-17. These have 95 and 96 load indexes and are much safer - pick one of the 96 index tires from Tire Rack and you will not go too far wrong!

The rolling diameter of a 235/50-17 is slightly larger than the OEM stock numbers, so there would be some speedo error (albeit relatively minor) If you want me to work the speedo error out, let me know and I will plug the numbers into my calculator - based on tire rolling diameters ... the ones on the Internet are simplistic!)

IMHO, I would much prefer a small speedo error to a wrong load index tire!

Z

szh

szhosain wrote:I will plug the numbers into my calculator - based on tire rolling diameters
For the 235/50-17 tires listed on Tire Rack, the speedo error would be such that at an indicated 60 mph, you would be doing between 60.6 mph (best case) and 62.8 (worst case) - both extremes for tires I would not recommend anyway, with most of them being between 60.8 mph and 61.8 mph. Not a bad trade-off!

Z

banshee08

Thanks szhosain,

I think I will be looking into some 7.5inch wheels then. I forgot to take into account the load rating on the tires. 245/45R17 are rather expensive though any recommendation on a brand and model for tires. I think I will just find a set of wheels and tires off tire rack then.

RobertsnewQ

6-spoke 350z wheels are 7.5 front and 8.0 rear, and they look pretty good (although I'm not crazy about the little square recesses on the face of each spoke).

They're also cheap. You shouldn't have to spend more than $350-400 on a set if you know where to look. I've even seen them for that price with a set of tires.

szh

RobertsnewQ is right ... I think you would be better off getting lightly used 350Z or G35 wheels instead of some new wheels from Tire Rack. New wheels that are strong enough for a Q (from Tire Rack) will be expensive and the inexpensive ones do not cut it!

The OEM 350Z and G35 wheels can be had for not too much money (on eBay for example) - just make sure that they are OEM wheels, not replicas or imitation knock-offs! You may need to wait a bit for some to show up.

WIth 7.5 to 8.0 widths, make sure that the offset is between 33mm to 38mm - although 30mm will fit (just under the fender a bit) and 40mm might work (but I would not try it since some tire section profiles might hit the suspension components!)

Z

szh

Like this one for example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...35879 although the auction is ending in an hour (it will come up again or give Victoria Tire a call)!

I think these are the ones that have the 30mm and 33mm offsets (which work on a Q45 with only a slight "under the fender" look.) If you want to see a Q45 with these wheels, please look in the Member's Rides section for my 1995 Q45.

Victoria tire also has decent prices for tires (not quite as good as Tire Rack) - I got these wheels from them (eBay purchase) with Falken Ziex 512 tires (free mounting and balancing) in a 245/45-17 size. Not much extra shipping charges as a result either! And these tires were very good indeed!

Just do remember that these wheels cannot be rotated front to back - the size and offsets are different.

Z

szh

And, if you are willing to consider 18" rims (although tire prices are somewhat higher as a result) you could get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...69972 and use them with 245/45-18 tires.

The size and offset is good for a Q45! They look similar to what I now have on my M45.

Z

szh

Here is a 17" OEM G35 set - although the owner has not properly identified the size (width and offset) . Consider calling or e-mailing to get more info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...54561

Z

Meaux
Car: 94Q45, 92Porsche 968, 72Porsche 911, 89Maxima SE, 98Honda Civic, 85F150 w/95 5.0

Here's what 18x8 350Z wheels w/ 245/45/18's on a 94 Q look like. All 4 are 30mm offset...I got the wheels off e-bay for $350...

szh

Very nice indeed! Don't lower the car though ... the 30mm makes the wheels be under the fender just a bit.

Z

banshee08

I like the look of the 350z wheels but my Q45a was lowered as a result of the Strutmaster conversion from the Active suspension system. It lowered the car about 1.5 inches in the front and about the same in the rear. I like to look for a good set of 17" since the 18" will run me major money every 15000 miles for a tire change.

szh

banshee08 wrote:I like the look of the 350z wheels but my Q45a was lowered as a result of the Strutmaster conversion from the Active suspension system. It lowered the car about 1.5 inches in the front and about the same in the rear.
In that case, yes, you are right, you probably want to get a 17x7.5 with 35mm or 38mm offset and 245/45-17 tires. That will be your safest bet in regard to tire rub on the fender (well, with movement that is, not standing still )

Again, the Maxima 17x7 wheels you mentioned in the first post could be used with 235/50-17 tires.

Z

Rex
Car: None

By the end of the week, I should be able to weigh in on this thread .

banshee08

Thanks. I am getting pretty desperate for new tires soon but will use the car less and drive the MiniVan for a while til I can get the proper wheels.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Rex wrote:By the end of the week, I should be able to weigh in on this thread .
Me too!!

banshee08

Was wondering if these will fit my 1994 Q45a? I think they are from the 99-01 Qs. I asked the seller but they have not answer yet. http://tinyurl.com/89fhh

szh

banshee08 wrote:Was wondering if these will fit my 1994 Q45a? I think they are from the 99-01 Qs. I asked the seller but they have not answer yet. http://tinyurl.com/89fhh
I am pretty sure they will fit - but do confirm the offset with them! Very good wheels indeed.

Note that I remember hearing about a recall on these wheels (or similar looking ones - can someone else confirm?).

This may actually be beneficial! I do not know if the time limit has expired but if these are part of the recall, then Infiniti will replace them with new wheels ... again, I do not know if there was a time limit on the recall! Cool

Of course, the tires listed are kinda wrong - 93 load index. You could ask if they will charge you less (a lot less) if they remove the tires and keep those. Or you could remove and sell them yourself perhaps.

Z

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Consider how much less a G35 weighs than an active Q and how much weight transfer could take place especially on the front wheels.

Statically the active front wheel will see +240 more pounds and dynamically over 350.............not sure one could say that is within the oem safety margin...........they probably won't fail just bend and warp out of spec faster.

Even oem 18" for a new Q would not see the normal forces a 1994 Q45a are exposed to in aggressive driving!

szh

Ahha! I found the info ... using the campaign I.D. shown R3006 in contacting Infiniti is important:

Page 1 of 4Reference: Date:ITB03-024 April 23, 2003VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN2000-01 Q45 ALLOY WHEELCAMPAIGN I.D. # / NHTSA #: R3006 / 03V-098APPLIED VEHICLE: 2000-01 Q45 (FY33) – (Touring/Anniversary model with 17” alloy wheels ONLY)APPLIED VINS: Vehicles built between:JNKBY31A*1M100002-101879JNKBY31A*YM300015-302786JNKBY31A*YM701255-701280

INTRODUCTIONInfiniti has determined that some 2000-2001 model year Infiniti Q45 vehicles may have a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety. The alloy wheels used on these vehicles may have a casting defect that could cause cracks to develop as the vehicle is being driven. If a sufficient number of cracks develop, the wheel could fail and separate from the mounting hub, resulting in loss of control and a crash. The spare tire steel wheel is not affected.

IDENTIFICATION NUMBERNissan has assigned identification number R3006 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.

NUMBER OF VEHICLES POTENTIALLY AFFECTEDThe number of vehicles potentially affected is approximately 3,600.

DEALER RESPONSIBILITYIt is the retailer’s responsibility to check Infiniti Net for the campaign status on each vehicle falling within the range of this voluntary safety recall which for any reason enters the service department. This includes vehicles purchased from private parties or presented by transient (tourist) owners and vehicles in a dealer’s inventory. Federal law requires that new vehicles in dealer inventory which are the subject of a safety recall must be corrected prior to sale. Failure to do so can result in civil penalties by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. While federal law applies only to new vehicles, Infiniti strongly encourages dealers to correct any used vehicles in their inventory before they are retailed.

Page 2 of 4SPECIAL CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE FEATURESOn some vehicles affected by this campaign, one or more of the 17 inch alloy wheels may have already been replaced. If the wheel was replaced as a Warranty Repair, no further action is required. However, if the customer paid to have one or more of the 17 inch alloy wheels replaced, the customer may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. Please inform the customer that they can request reimbursement by contacting Infiniti Consumer Affairs at 1-800-662-6200.If one or more of the 17 inch alloy wheels was replaced at your dealership, please provide a copy of the repair order/invoice, if available, to the customer.If the repair was completed at a location other than your dealership, please inform the customer that they will need to provide proof of the repair and proof of payment when they contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs.

SERVICE PROCEDURE NOTES:• The spare tire steel wheel is NOT included in this campaign.• Only the factory alloy wheels will be replaced as part of this campaign, NOT the tires.Determine Wheel TypeA. If the vehicle is equipped with non-factory alloy wheels, the vehicle is NOT part of this campaign. Refer to the Claims Information section of this bulletin.B. If the vehicle is equipped with the factory alloy wheels, proceed with “Wheel Replacement” below.Wheel ReplacementReplace all four wheels as follows:1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.2. Remove all four wheel/tire assemblies.3. Use appropriate equipment to:• Remove the existing tires from the old wheels• Install the existing tires on the new wheels• Balance each tire/wheel assembly4. Install the tire/wheel assemblies on the vehicle. Tighten the wheel nuts in a cross pattern to 98 – 118 N-m(10 – 12 kg-m, 72 – 87 ft-lbs).5. Proceed with “Old Wheel Destruction Procedure” (page 3).

Page 3 of 4Old Wheel Destruction ProcedureCAUTION: Use suitable eye and hand protection when performing the following procedure.Render all the old wheels useless:• Use a suitable cutting tool to cut a V-Notch (about 1 inch deep) in the wheel bead across from the valve stem (see Figure 1).Note: Figure 1 not included in this post.

NOTE:• Wheels affected by this campaign may have been used to mount snow tires or used as spare tires or, in some cases, mounted on vehicles other than those identified as part of this campaign.• If you encounter such a situation, the wheels may be eligible for replacement as part of this campaign.However, pre-approval from the Infiniti Claim Call Center is required PRIOR TO replacing the wheels.• Use the following Parts Information and the Claims Information ONLY when replacing 4 wheels on a vehicle with a VIN that is part of this campaign OR inspecting & releasing a vehicle that has non-OEM wheels installed.

PARTS INFORMATIONDESCRIPTION PART NUMBER QUANTITYWheel / Stem Kit D0300-3H026 4CLAIMS INFORMATIONSubmit a "Campaign" (CM) line claim using the following claims coding information:Campaign ID: R3006DESCRIPTION OP CODE FRTInspect & Replace All 4 OEM Alloy Wheels R30060 1.4 hrsORNon-Factory Wheels – Inspect and release only R30061 0.2 hrsTP030217V-Notch(about 1 inch deep)AFTER BEFOREValve StemSuitable CuttingTool

Page 4 of 4OWNER’S LETTERDear Infiniti Owner:This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Nissan Motor Company, Ltd. has decided that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2000-2001 model year Infiniti Q45 vehicles.

REASON FOR RECALLThe alloy wheels used on these vehicles may have a casting defect that could cause cracks to develop as the vehicle is being driven. If a sufficient number of cracks develop, the wheel could fail and separate from the mounting hub, resulting in loss of control and a crash. The spare tire steel wheel is not affected.

WHAT INFINITI WILL DOYour Infiniti dealer will replace all four alloy wheels. This free service should take about two hours to complete, but your Infiniti dealer may require your vehicle for a longer period of time based upon their work schedule, or parts availability.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DOContact your Infiniti dealer at your earliest convenience in order to arrange an appointment to have the wheels replaced. If you notice any cracks in any wheel, you should contact your Infiniti dealer immediately to have your vehicle repaired. Please bring this notice with you when you keep your service appointment.Instructions have been sent to your Infiniti dealer. If the dealer fails, or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, you may contact an Infiniti representative toll free at (800) 662-6200. If you reside in Hawaii, please call (808) 836-0888. You may also contact the Administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street SW, Washington, D.C. 20590 or call the toll free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.If you have paid to have one or more of your 17 inch alloy wheels replaced prior to this campaign, you may be eligible for reimbursement of the related expense. Contact Infiniti Consumer Affairs at the numbers listed above for information on how to obtain a reimbursement.Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days. Lessor means a person or entity that is the owner, as reflected on the vehicle title, of any five or more leased vehicles.Thank you for your cooperation. We are indeed sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Z

szh

And the note part seems to imply that using it on a vehicle other than the original Q45 may be okay. Since the 94 Q45 is also a heavy car, this meets the requirement, I would think!

Z

szh

Q45tech wrote:Consider how much less a G35 weighs than an active Q and how much weight transfer could take place especially on the front wheels.

Statically the active front wheel will see +240 more pounds and dynamically over 350.............not sure one could say that is within the oem safety margin...........they probably won't fail just bend and warp out of spec faster.

Even oem 18" for a new Q would not see the normal forces a 1994 Q45a are exposed to in aggressive driving!
Hi, Dennis.

I will interpret your comments as applying to the earlier posts talking about G35 or Maxima wheels. Since his last post has Q45 wheels listed, these ones should be better for him, right?

Z

Rex
Car: None

GQ Jay wrote:banshee- i had 17x7's on my g35, running 215/55 17 [factory oem]. i'm no expert, but i think the max runs 225/50 on also a 17x7. i know 225 is about the width limit you wanna put on a 7 inch width [pinching].

GQ - I have a set for sale, and given that so few people wat 15's nowadays, I may be willing seperate the set.

Send me an email by way of my profile.

rsiwicki
Car: 95 Q45T

here is a switch....I saw a newer maxima today with old pie pans on it. The rims were in very good condition. I could not figure out what was different initially about the car until about 30 secs later it sunk in that they had older Q45 wheels on at least a 2000+ maxima. It did not look really all that bad...just a little different.

I would have taken a pic, but was too lazy.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

Those look great on the Q. The offset is a little too much for my tastes. Be very careful, since Infiniti made 7" versions of the same wheel for the I30t models. I think the 18" wheels would be just fine with a 1.5" drop. I have 245/45/18's on Lola,and they are a bot oversized. I had the 245/40/18 before, and they looked way too small for the fender openings. The 45 series tires ride much better. Sumitomo makes a good tire in the HTR+. It is relatively quiet, and handles well in the rain.

I had a set of 245/45/17 and 255/45/17 Sumitomo's on Layla. I let the tire guy put some unidirectional tires on her, and wish I hadn't. They are too noisy.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”