Would like to buy Fallout 4 as downloadable but

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Would like to buy Fallout 4 as downloadable for PC, but everything seems to be just a "code to redeem on steam". :poke:
I hate Steam.
I am done with steam.
I used them and paid them money last year when I was in germany and for some reason they insisted my IP was in UK (it wasnt) and since I was using a USA credit card with a German address they blocked me as fraud.
Multiple attempts to address with their staff unsuccessful. :tisk:

I have not tried to make a new account now that I am back in US out of principle. :rolleyes:

So where can I buy FO 4 as a download w/o steam?

Otherwise I think I seen a gamestop in town they probably have it as CD ROM but I was hoping to download tonite....

PalmerWMD

PS:
For fallout2 there was FO2SE where one can cheat and just give unlimited inventory and lots of extra stats.
After I beat the game on regular a couple times I have used that at time to play with no followers at all to immersive myself more in the "lone wanderer" in the apocalypse feeling.
Or to have fun and give myself lots of ammo early on so I dont have to bother with looting all the corpses always to sell their stuff for ammo.

FO2SE is very easy to use, just install, make sure it pulls your saves from the right directory (right in the fallout folder) and pick any save and just add any feature or inventory to your character you want.

In my cursory read of FO4 I think such a thing does not exist for FO4?

I found a FO4SE,.... but that seems to me to be more of a driver to enable complex mods to be integrated?
Not a standalone "click to edit your character as you wish" function?

I am fully computer literate but I am not a poweruser and some of the mod instructions for FO4 seem overly complex.

I would probably pay good money to have someone i trust, remotely install FO4 and all mods to my liking. Maybe even 2 or 3 folders of FO4 to run different mods some of which I understand may be mutually exclusive.

PalmerWMD

Grrr, I was at gamestop today. thy said they had it as a downloadable from , you guessed it, Steam! :mad:

PalmerWMD

Anyone know where to buy Fallout 4 w/o any involvement by steam?

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

Gamestop is best bet. Are you looking new or preowned? Your second option might be the Microsoft Store since everything is playable between PC and Xbox. Your 3rd option is Amazon; they do sell both digital and physical game copies (pretty sure they do on digital part).

I've personally only bought PS2 games from Gamestop to build my collection of PS2 games. I used Microsoft STore multiple occasions to buy games such as Forza Motorsport 7 and Horizon 5, Crash Bandicoot racing, Tomb Raider Rising of the Shadows?, Ori and wisps (idk if that's the correct game title), and much more. Physical copies been going to Best Buy recently. That's my suggestions, but I am not even sure if Best Buy even carries Fallout 4 anymore.

PalmerWMD

I was at gamestop but they sell FO4 only as a link for a steam download..
I read up on it some more and they say even the physical game copies have a mandatory steam download component to run :mad:

datechboss101

Check Microsoft Store. They have it for $20.
Attachments
Fallout 4 Microsoft Store.png

PalmerWMD

Based on your tip I have it on my cart on MS store.
I prefer to support the underdogs like gamestop usually (which MS obviously isnt an underdog) but I may pull the trigger form MS store just to avoid steam.
Avoiding one near monopoly by supporting another.... hmm, is that rational.. :gotme
Last edited by PalmerWMD on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

datechboss101

Microsoft did buy Bethesda studios parent company last year I believe, so obviously there is going to be a monopoly here. I did check amazon though, and sure enough they don't do digital downloads of the game. Best Buy doesn't sell the PC edition.

PalmerWMD

Playing it now.
Not used to these kind of games with hot keys.
So the rad roaches near the exit almost killed me.
Now I am at 10 HPs or so, entering the wasteland.
Thinking of going back to a prior save and just using melee rather than gun. Seems to work better for me.

Return to “General Chat”