Would it be crazy....

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
Peapod026

...... to get a 240Z as my next car? Firstly, I know very little of working on cars. But I love love love and have always wanted a 240Z. I know I can shell out 20g and have a spectacular one, but I would love to be able to get involved in this community and learn how to work on my own car (and not spend 20g on something with a sketchy rebuilt engine on Craigslist)! Is this unrealistic and insane, or can it be done?!

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Go for it. Sounds like a bucket list item.

240Z are a great car to learn about working on cars. They belong to a previous generation without computers when people worked on their cars with a wrench and a screwdriver. Manuals are available.

On the downside, beware of rust. These cars were known to rust on the boat coming from Japan. California cars are most likely to be rust free. You don't say where you are from, but decent cars east of the Mississippi are harder to find.

There are local clubs that can help finding/evaluating a Z. Or at least they can give you guidance on where to look for rust.

Z cars kept their power and drivability through the 70's while more others lost power and drivability. This came at the cost of increasing complexity. Also they transitioned from simple,fun to drive into luxo-rides adding to complexity. 260Z were made for one year only and had problematic carbs. 240Zs made from 70-73 would seem to fill your needs better.

BTW I have a matching numbers, recently overhauled 70 with AT for sale in Florida. PM with any questions.

Peapod026

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm out in California so it sounds like rust should be a minimal issue, but I'll keep an eye out! I'll try to get in touch with a local club for sure. Thanks again!

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”