Worth building

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
LiverDestroyer
Car: ???

Hey guys, so I’m looking into buying a z32 and I wanna know if it’s worth it, I love the car and I think it’s beautiful. I already know about some of the down sides like how tight the engine bay is which makes it tough to work on. I would like a TT and but if getting the NA is the better option then I’d like to know. Just trying to see what are some of the ups and downs and what I should expect and what should I do in case I do go through with purchasing one

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

1. What is the level of your technical/mechanical skill?
2. What do your finances allow as expendable spending money?
3. Will this be your daily driver?
4. What are you looking to spend up front?

Simply put; if this is your only mode of transportation and you need a reliable vehicle than you need to have a 5 figure sum ready to go. Otherwise you'll be doing endless maintenance and repairs. If this is something you want to build from the ground up then it is really up to you. If you're asking on a 300ZX forum whether a Z32 is a cool/fun car then the obvious answer is yes. If you've ever worked on any 95+ V8 German than the "cramped" engine bay and high level of tech in the 300zx is a joke. If you're experience is with 4 banger FWDs then you are going to curse every time you pop the hood. This is all relative so we need to know your situation.

LiverDestroyer
Car: ???

Well I’m 19, In terms of mechanic skill I’m not very good whatsoever, I currently work a 9-5 and the car wouldn’t be my main form of transportation, something to enjoy driving occasionally. The price I’m willing to put upfront really just depends on the car, however, if it’s in mediocre condition and needs a lot of maintenance I would prefer to only spend about 5-6k.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Depending on your geographic location 5-6k might get you a decent NA that you will likely need to drop 500-1500 in maintenance immediately to have a reliable weekend driver. If you want a mint "needs nothing" NA prepare to drop 8-9k, if you want a TT in like condition then double that (16k). These cars are expensive to work on and maintain. A lot of things that would require busted knuckles on other vehicles will require an engine pull or subframe drop.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”