worst nl320 ever, should i buy

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
dat521gatherer

well this is heart breaking to see but i have the opportunity to aquire this 65 nl320  for $100. i would have to help dig it through the front. as you can see its hard to get a good look at the thing with all the junk.

as for what i want to do with it will be up in the air til after i own it for a while and get  aquainted with it. my options are ofcoarse to sell the thing whole, part it out, or try to put it back on the road as a long term project. just enough to drive it. my favorite is a just to have it as a piece of back yard art.

no engine that i know of yet yet he may still have it. no rear bumperettes. rockers gone. i cant even get a look at the other side of her or the floor of the bed. although i can see at least ont hole in the floor of the bed. speedo gauge looks decent enough but the other gauge set is trahed. he says he has a good radiator and grill but cant find them in his garage at the moment he has papers to it that i hope he can find.

for the price of the tow and the work to get it out of the back yard i'd rather he just give me the thing for free. what say you?

dat521gatherer

pic 2

dat521gatherer

pic 3

dat521gatherer

pic 4

dat521gatherer

it doesnt have any glass and i think the column shifter has benn broken.

dat521gatherer

all the lenses are toast. on the bright side the dash isn't dented that i can tell. has at least 2 hub caps that will clean up. at least one door pull handle and outside handle and lock. ignition switch is there, dont know if he has a key. has the horn button and 1200 emblem on one side maybe the other also. the hood looks decent as far as i can tell. the tailgate is there but i cant see the condition.

mklotz70

Sorry to say, but the hubcaps are 620.

I'd have a hard time telling someone to save that rig.  One way to look at it is this way......

If you get it, all of the useable pieces and parts can be salvaged, then you'll still get $100 for the scrap steel remaining.  If he lets it go to any scapper, they won't pull any of the pieces.  So....even if you don't save, you'll save part of it and that will help other NL owners with pieces they are missing.

dat521gatherer

thats what i'm leaning twards at the moment if nothing else for the cause. i'd hate to see it go to the scapper. thats what his wife has been trying to get him to do. at the moment getting it out of the back yard will be the hard part. anyone have a chinook i can borrow?:shock:

LilDat
Car: Datsun NL 320, Datsun U320 (the runchwagon) 1972 Datsun 510 wagon

I agree with Mike, save it for the parts others might need. Carb is there, if the tail gate is in any shape someone will need it, trim around the bed, other trim, glass, heater core, radio if it is original. Too many parts not to try and save. If you are patient and willing to do some sweat  equity you might find other parts he has laying around. Why would he remove the engine and leave the carb? If you can jack it up and get the rims off and find some used tires to get it rolling, getting it out of there will be easier. Keep us posted. Where is the truck located?

dat521gatherer

it's in spanaway,wa. i'm hoping at least 2 of the tires will pump up cause as it is i cant get a jack under it. it's become a low rider without having to do any mods.:(

odpl_AZhitman

I'd be interested in the radio and the D-side fender trim!  Help you recoup some of your sweat equity, at least...

I'd say $100 is only fair if you can make that back in parts and scrap... even then, it'd be a charity endeavor / treasure hunt. 

p.s.  Get the VIN so we can add it to the registry.

dat521gatherer

the radio is a realistic. i havent seen the other side of the truck yet. but when i get i'll take better pics for everyone. where is this registry and how many nl's are listed?

can someone tell me the total or max width of this thing? meaning door to door.

dat521gatherer

driver side. got ya.

odpl_AZhitman

[user=489]dat521gatherer[/user] wrote: Quote »the radio is a realistic. i havent seen the other side of the truck yet. but when i get i'll take better pics for everyone. where is this registry and how many nl's are listed?

can someone tell me the total or max width of this thing? meaning door to door.[/quote]Ah - Pass on the radio then. 

Max width = 59", including door handles.

LilDat

What? You got something against "realistic" raidios! :D Realistically speaking; they sound almost real. Really:D It could have been a virtualistic radio.....

odpl_AZhitman

[user=980]LilDat[/user] wrote: Quote »What? You got something against "realistic" raidios! :D Realistically speaking; they sound almost real. Really:D It could have been a virtualistic radio..... [/quote]LOL - nice one! 

dat521gatherer

me personally, i like radio shack and collect vintage home audio stuff. most audio snobs stick their nose up at them. i once had 2 pairs of mach 2's with 15's. check out these minimus 7's i restored out of a 521 in the junk yard.

http://www.audiokarma.org/foru...57186

if i could only work the magic i did on those minimus speakers on this nl320....

LilDat

AZ, Blame it on the second Beck's beer! Realistic  was the Radio Shack line wasn't it? I'm thinking Western Auto was Wizard. PS I'll have trim available if he doesn't go for this truck. If not MIKE, you gotta go get it. We need the parts! I'm pretty sure the guy in Kansas is without a tail gate and possibly bed trim. Ken

dat521gatherer

before

dat521gatherer

another before

dat521gatherer

after

dat521gatherer

done

dat521gatherer

the bed trim on the drivers side is missing.

LilDat

Hey, Radio Shack has saved my AsH several times over the years! Great speakers Dat521, even better restoration. Now if only I could figure out a sub-woofer system for my Runch wagon....... Maybe I'll get someone from "overhauling" to do it for free. Yah, right 1 week to come from Kalifornia and rebuild my truck including sub-woofer so I can listen to Skillet with loud Bass, yeah that's gonna happen......... well a feller can dream; but better to save for it.

odpl_happy

As luck would have it, I have the same speakers, that I have owned since about 1980.  They are out in my workshop, and other than the fact that they take a lot of power, I plan on keeping them till I die.  Mine don't need any restoration, because they have been inside since new.

I have 3 NL320's, and I would love to be able to buy some parts off of this one.  Anything on a nl320 that isn't on a L320 is great, like the trim around the top of the  bed, or the tailgate or tailights.  Pull that top bed trim, put in a box, and send me the bill, because I could really use it.  Or, send me the tailgate. or, the inner lining of the tailgate.

anyway, it would be worth hauling home just for the fun of it.

odpl_AZhitman

I agree with ^ happy - Anything useful will be well-received, as there's simply not enough of these things left to let anything go to waste (or scrap).

dat521gatherer

i just missed him at work today. i'll call him in the next couple days and hash things out. it will take a couple days just to get it out of his back yard, if it wasn't for that i'd have got the thing already.

tdaaj

if you get this thing i'd be interested in some parts if not the whole thing.

dat521gatherer

update. i'm commited to buy at this point. the truck has been moved a short distance in his back yard. 2 of the tires pumped up one of them with a leak. put 2 other tires 1 a tiny spare off who knows what. amazingly all four tires moved and were not seized.

step 35a completed.:) next update will be soon.

odpl_happy

that's not bad, one of my nl320s was power washed, and they got water into both front hubs, and I had to load it with a loader cause the wheels don't turn anymore.  Still haven't got either hub off.

Return to “Datsun 320”