WooHoo! Auto pilot bushing removal in 5 min

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Oh man im so fkin excited right now. Last time i had to remove the auto pilot bushing it took me like 2 hours with a dye grinder then a dremel. I just finished the job in less that 5 min with no hassles at all.

Well i had heard on this forum that you can do it by packing the bushing/crank shaft with grease, then getting a like sized piece of metal and using that plus the grease as a hydraulic piston. The pressure created by the grease and the piston would force the bearing out. All sounds great in theory, so i decided to give it a try. I started looking around for something thats the same size as the bushing, i couldnt find anything that would work. So i decided to use our ancient lathe to make a piece that would fit.

After i made the piece, i packed the crank with grease. You want to use something small and thin to try to get as much of the air out as possible. I took a 5 pound sledge to it, and about 5 swings later the bushing popped out. Was grinning from ear to ear, good stuff.

On a sidenote, if anyone wants to borrow this tool i made id be happy to rent it out to you, just shoot me an email at [email protected].

scottydog
Car: 1992 240sx

I agree, easy way to do it. Try a socket that fits, stuffing it with wadded up electrical tape.

verSat1l3
Car: 93 S13 Fastback 96 S14 SE

Autozone has a tool called a "Blind Hole Puller" part number 27128. It costs $140. You can "rent" it buy buying it, using it, and then returning it for a full refund. It's not even a scam on your part for doing it. Thats how they rent their tools apparently. I just did this last week and it took about 5-6 hits on the slide hammer (included) to pop the bearing out. Plus I didn't have to clean up the grease afterwards.

The hydraulic method is still a neat trick though.

s13point5
Car: 89 240sx

verSat1l3 wrote:Autozone has a tool called a "Blind Hole Puller" part number 27128. It costs $140. You can "rent" it buy buying it, using it, and then returning it for a full refund. It's not even a scam on your part for doing it. Thats how they rent their tools apparently. I just did this last week and it took about 5-6 hits on the slide hammer (included) to pop the bearing out. Plus I didn't have to clean up the grease afterwards.

The hydraulic method is still a neat trick though.
i tried that tool from autozone on an auto pilot bushing once. i broke the damn tool. good thing the guy at autozone was cool and said "**** happens" and gave me my money back. after about 30 mins with a dremel i finally had it out. i still have it hung up on the wall in my garage

mistamacadamian
Car: s13

those were the days...why i remember when i drove my 240 down the road after its manual swap and getting a call and my friend asking about the auto pilot bushing and i reply " wtf is that?" lol fun **** dropping that tranny again.

SCIDADDY
Car: 2004 Nissan 350z

Hello sir. My name is David. My mechanic has been having problems removing this automatic pilot bushing on my 04 350z. I ordered a motor not knowing it was automatic. I just read your post and am dying to get this done. My car has been with the mechanic for 2 months. He works 12 hours a day and doesn't have much time to work on it. I've spent $4500 on parts motor and labor. Please help a brother out

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”