Won't turn over.

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
cjfulton259
Car: 99 QX4

First time posting here... so thanks for you help in advance.

Have a 1999 QX4 w/ 150k miles. Love the car and hopeful to get some more mileage out of her.

This week I cranked the ignition, but the engine would not start. She was admittedly low on fuel, but doubt she was empty. I finally got her turned over after three tries (waited a few minute between each try), and immediately filled her with gas.

Began to go about my errands when she stopped accelerating at about 40 mph and made some noise like a muffled backfire from the rear part of the vehicle. Wasn't really sure what to do at this point, so I pulled over and checked the spark plug connections while the engine running. All seemed secure. Hopped back in and eased her on the highway. I didn't get her above 60 mph and she didn't seem to have all her normal V6 power.

Got her home. Lucky I think.

She now is back to where I turn the key and she is cranking, but will not start at all.

At first I thought gas, then the starter when she didn't turn over, then when she nearly cut out while driving I really had no idea.

Any ideas? I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks.

Infinitiguy19
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 188580 Miles
1994 Infiniti Q45a 240000 Miles

You might need a new fuel pump and control unit if your truck has one. I am sorry I can't help you more because I have a Q45 not a QX4.

You can consult the service manual to see where the parts are located and for more help: http://Nicoclub.com/FSM

You can try this guy here to see if he has a fuel pump: http://stores.ebay.com/emgeepa...esc=1

If not try Infiniti Of Scottsdale because I only trust OEM part when it comes to doing such a job.

cjfulton259
Car: 99 QX4

Ended up being spark plug related. They swapped these out, oil changed, did some sort of system flush for 400 dollars. I wish they would have bought me dinner before they bent me over... unbelievable.

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

They love to push those "flushes" as they are pure quick easy money makers- really known as "wallet flushes"

oldmako
Car: '99 Q45 190K Black&Tan '96 Silverado 5.0 245K '89 23' Irvette CC F351

Who did the work? Love to know so that I can avoid them. Plugs?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

cjfulton259 wrote:Ended up being spark plug related. They swapped these out, oil changed, did some sort of system flush for 400 dollars. I wish they would have bought me dinner before they bent me over... unbelievable.
Take is back if they didn't use the OEM specified NGKPFRG-11 plugs or you could lose your engine.

"Flush" and "Service" are code words that cover almost anything more than an "Inspection." May consist of nothing useful at all.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”