won't stay running pls help vid included

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
akira2_03
Car: 92 240sx and 92 pathfinder

k heres the story its a 89 240sx base model. i got this car cheap cause the guy swapped out the motor for a de and never finished cause he did not know what he was doing.

so i got it finished up all the wiring and missing hoses etc. just never swapped out the pwr steering stuff yet. so i was having probs getting it started at first since what he did had no spark. well i fixed that timing was way off and got everything set good. then fuel this took awhile but figured out he had the injector plugs upside down so i swapped them right side so the injectors have proper pwr now.

well now the motor starts up great but wont stay running and i put my maf from my dd 240sx on it and it has trouble starting with mine on but when i unplug it it will idle 5 sec then stall out. i checked everything. now running out of ideas i kept the PAIR valve system out so it has a exhaust leak in the motor bay so thats why it sounds loud but i have a vid of how it sounds. and regardles of having the maf plugged in or not when i try to give throttle it dies instantly. distributer is good, plugs etc. but the only thing is the engine oil smells like gas guessing from all the non spark when the previous guy had it and fuel just flodding it??? would this affect it at all as i have not had a chance to change the oil yet.

and the maf is good cause its on my 92 240sx which i drive everyday.

but heres pics and vid...

and the vids

Modified by akira2_03 at 10:25 PM 4/18/2009

akira2_03

anyone????????????

kpariaug
Car: 1993 240sx Fastback SE

cant tell 100% but it sounds like a sti which would be your spark plugs firing in the wrong order. make sure you have the RIGHT order theres a very easy way to f*** this up, the cap is numbered, theres also a writeup on dizzy timing make sure its PERFECT at TDC it has to point exactly at the 1st plug wire not even a little off.

also check your cam timing if you want. see if you can get a clearer quality audio clip atleast. bottom line is it sounds like the timing is wierd.

also if it runs w/o the maf its most likely a vac leak, also you can unplug your tps to see if its acting up. and if the head gasket was messed with at all check compression.

let us know whats happening.

and to the other nico members: HELP OUT!!!

akira2_03

thanks for the help amd sorry had to use my phone for it as the digi cam doesnt have volume for rec vids. and i dont have a cam corder lol. and yeah a friend and i turned it to exactly tdc and line up the dizzy exactly at #1 and all plugs are in the right order. it does sound loud but thats cause the aiv is out (PAIR valve emissions) is out so it has the exhaust leaking in front there still need to plug it but the engine itself sounds great when running just wont run long just 5-10sec and then not at all when i keep trying.

k well heres the scoop i cant tell if its throwing codes. its a 89 swapped with the de motor and i got it like this but in worse shape. and trying to put everything back properly and complete the swap.

for balance test i have tried unplugging this and that and its either it wont start at all or i get it to start but dies 5 sec later also the left side of the cluster does not work check engine light etc. any ideas on that? im aware the tach wont work but what about all the warning lights on the bottom left side? i checked all fusses are good! illumination is all good etc.

right now im in the process of swapping out the tps and hoping that it will helpmy problem. injectors are working as my plugs are wet. maf is good as it is from my dd 92 240sx. also the PAIR valve set up is all vemoved hence the loudness of it since i still need to block off that exhaust hole. and the vac lines that went to it are plugged. spark looks a little weak but it has spark and distributer is good as well as coil.. all connectors are properly plugged in and all grounds are in place.

please help im running out of ideas. it starts in the morn runs 5-10 sec then hesitates and dies and struggles to start after that. if throttle is given it hesitates and dies or struggles to keep it running kepping it from dying wot approx 1000-2000rpms with engine struggling to keep running

whoever has had this problem what was it and to all those who are mechanic experts please help

IF you guys need more pics of something specific just let me know and i'll get them in 2 secs. just please help i need this to be running a week ago

kpariaug
Car: 1993 240sx Fastback SE

damn son. basically you have to go back to basics with this one. also maybe iacv. and throw a timing light on it and make sure its at 20btdc for the few secs its running. i used to run an waaaaaayyyy before tdc and chirp 2nd but not idle nice.

1.compression2.spark4.fuel3.air (make sure your not under water)4.timing5.no vac leaks (also make up your mind on how your handling the pair and do it)6.electronics (i have no idea about this) but if your using a 24e ecu try a 24de ecu. im not at all sure how the de swap goes down when it comes to wiring.

also check the brake booster vac and the fpr vac and make sure if you deleted emissions you followed all the vacs you needed to plug or the maf will be thinking its getting a different amount of air than it really is getting.
Modified by kpariaug at 6:58 PM 4/26/2009

akira2_03

*UPDATED*

well after replacing everything with my harness and all the car runs at idle as long as no maf is plugged in. if plug in maf it dies. and again this is the maf from my dd 240sx. but it will run with no maf but if accelerate it it back fires like its running rich and hesitation. so...... went to the fuel next

k well as the return line had no fuel coming out. (disconnected it up front beside the fuel filter) i took out my fpr and fuel came running out at the end of the rail. so figured i found the problem. replaced the fpr and put all back together and started the car. same thing no fuel coming out of the return line. car dies if maf is plugged in but idles with no maf but STILL no fuel out my return line!!! soooo is there a huge clog or something in my lines you think???? after the fpr???

so been tinkering more and still have no fuel coming out from my fpr. lines are clear blew air threw them no prob. fuel pump is running but after it idels for a while or you try to give it gas and it hesitates sometimes revs up and when let off the gas it almost dies but idles back up. mind you this is all with no maf plugged in. im thinking it starving for fuel? maybe pump is not pumping enough?? the sock looks blackish grey on the pump. so im thinking i can try to change it if i can find another. anything else?????? suggestions? cant find any vac leaks.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME.

akira2_03

Please some one i need to get this done any ideas??? timing , injectors etc. has all been done.

locoluna825
Car: 90 240sx coupe

we had another guy with the same problem a bit ago with the fuel not coming out the return line and all. he had his on backwards, make sure yours isnt either

akira2_03

no not on backwards made sure of that

Bongpain
Car: 92 240sx

all 240sx will start and run with out the maf. and as you give it throttle it will starve for air**ecu will not recognize air fuel mixture because the maf is disconnected or wrong input signal and thus the ecu will either restrict the amount of fuel, but if you smell excessive fuel when the car is running you should check your coolant temp sensor.** checked the connector for loose in the pins at the maf and make sure its tight. you can use an small safety pin to test this. then check make sure your wires are on correct and also grounds are clean. follow that diagram for firing order your video sound like you got two plugs swap.

Modified by Bongpain at 6:54 PM 5/20/2009

Nkakalak240
Car: 93 s13

mine did the same was the vac line on the fpr.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Old thread brother.

Grimreefer721
Car: 1991 240sx s13
*KA24DET

2014 Altima S

I'm having a rather similar issue, nine will start and idle for about 30-45 then sounds like it starts to hesitate and die, and if I try to give it gas it immediately dies. Still tryna figure this out currently

Virginiagfish
Car: 05 Nissan murano 3.6

akira2_03 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:34 pm
anyone????????????
I had same issue with my murano 2005
Just had tune up done and it was working fine last night
But this morning it stalled at red light
Then it would turn over fine but no gas and then after a few seconds of idling car would shut off again. No gas smell

Turns out to be easy and free fix

Hose to air filter was loose tightened it up and it runs like new!!!!!!!

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey Virginaigfish, welcome to NICO Club! I'm glad you fixed your Murano so easily. You can introduce yourself in general chat, post a question, download your FSM, use the Search button, etc. Enjoy the site! :bigthumb:

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”