won't start - ideas

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
OWhatAThrill

Hi all,I have a '93 240 SE. It won't start. :-( Thank God it's a manual, so I'm able to jump it off but I'm trying to track down the problem. Battery has tested good. Someone told us to remove the positive charge on the battery and see if it continues to run and that would tell us if the alternator was bad. It continued to run.

When you turn the ignition switch it does nothing. Not a click, nothing. My son says he suspects the ignition switch or tumblers, because I have had some difficulty with it. Have to get it in the absolute right position to get it to turn. He thinks the tumblers have broke, but I noticed yesterday, I still have to get it just right, to turn.

Is there a way we can test the starter? Is there some electronic thing that might have gone out? The fuses look good, but there's not a fuse where it looks to read something about the ignition. But this didn't change, there wasn't a fuse there last week either.

Any ideas? I want to put a FOR SALE sign on the baby. The head was warped in the spring and I put $1600 in it. It also had difficulty in starting, was turning over but just wouldn't catch. The Nissan guy said it was something (I can't remember) that goes out, and you can clean it for awhile but it eventually goes out completely and that will cost about $400. Its not doing the same, because it's not even turning over. I'm calling him today to see what he thinks but wanted to place this on the boards to get some other ideas.

Help! I can't always park on a hill and had back surgery in Nov, so don't even need to use my foot to try to get it going so I can't pop it off. Any ideas appreciated.

GoofyATX240

I got money on it that its the starter....Well not money cause im broke but u get the idea.Same thing happened to me easy fix.

OWhatAThrill

Just got back from Auto Zone. They seem to think its might be something just "this side" of the starter or the starter, but leaning more towards the former. They mentioned some type of connection at the clutch, like its not recognizing it's engaged. One noted the process of turning the key....all the engine lights are on, but the clock, air and radio blank out (like its supposed too was they said). When I turn the key, there is absolute NO DRAW on the battery. Thats when they said "starter", but when they noticed the pattern with the lights/radio, etc., they thought maybe something from the key to right before the starter.

I am taking it to a local place tomorrow. Really want to take it to Crawfords in Nashville because he knows Nissan, but its a major inconvenience going to pick it up for me, so if its the starter or ignition, this local place can deal. If it's more, I'll take it to Crawfords.

Thanks for the post. I really hope its the starter. Well, I hope it's the ignition switch cuz that cheaper. Don't know what that clutch relay or whatever will cost.

GoofyATX240

Is there any possible way you can do the starter urself would be alot cheaper if thats the problem.

OWhatAThrill

:-) That depends. I have a 17 year old who just put a starter on a Honda prelude, so yes, he probably could. BUT this same child totalled two cars last year and something happens when he seems to touch my vehicles. He's very bright, I just don't understand. :-))))))) I would rather he wait and do this stuff on his own car. I can't afford (in more ways than money) for something else to happen or in the money area, can't afford to buy a starter and then it not be it. Its $124 at Auto Zone. My fear would then be it's not the starter.

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

OWhatAThrill wrote::-) That depends. I have a 17 year old who just put a starter on a Honda prelude, so yes, he probably could. BUT this same child totalled two cars last year and something happens when he seems to touch my vehicles. He's very bright, I just don't understand. :-))))))) I would rather he wait and do this stuff on his own car. I can't afford (in more ways than money) for something else to happen or in the money area, can't afford to buy a starter and then it not be it. Its $124 at Auto Zone. My fear would then be it's not the starter.

Autozone sucks :) Every part I get from them turns out to be a defect. It does indeed sound like the starter, but you could try check the button they are talking about. If you look on the clutch pedal it has a small offshoot that pushes in a small button when the pedal is put in. Try holding that button down and starting the car. Worth a try, better than 124 dollars :Yesnod

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”