Won't shift into 3rd

All things Altima Coupe.
Too Sweet
Car: 1997 Nissan Altima
Automatic Transmission

Hi everyone,

I resurrected my 97 Nissan Altima with an automatic transmission from the dead last week after two years but...

When approaching 3rd gear at about 3000 RPM's the transmission doesn't shift, it will often accelerate to 5000 RPM's then shift. It's like the car jumps from 3000- 5000 sometimes. I don't think however that the transmission actually shifts, the tachometer will drop like it shifted but when I accelerate after the "shift" it feels like it is still in second gear and the rpms are very high as well. If I keep accelerating past the 3000 RPM's I get the same behavior when it reaches 5000 rpms, the tach drops but then it feels like it never shifted and the RPM's remain high.

It was a bit low on AT fluid when I got it up and running, so I put about a quart and half in total. It appears that I overfilled it a bit, I will drain it a bit when the fluid cools, but i don't think that is the root of my problem, I think on my final fill up I just added a bit too much.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I am thinking it needs a new transmission. Praying for something cheaper and easier. Thanks.

Chris

leaton10
Car: 2008 Altima Manual Coupe

If it was OK when you put it up, then it's probably something you did since you pulled it out again.
I know very little about AT's, but do know they can be hypersensitive about fluid.
I would recommend you check to see what type fluid Nissan calls for on this car, then
do a full service on it - drain it completely including the cooler if it has one, change or clean filter as the case may be, then measure out the
correct fluid when filling it up - and NO additives.

leaton10
Car: 2008 Altima Manual Coupe

That's why all my vehicles will always have a manual tranny. I had one vehicle, a truck, with an AT, and never again.
It is getting harder to find MT cars and trucks, but they are still out there.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”