wmdavis007 build thread (no 56k...many pics!!)

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Looking good. Make sure to grease all the joints on the pedal.

wmdavis007
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

Done...I cleaned it up really good...got all the old grease off and put new grease at all the pivot points...except on the bushings.

94_240sx

No, you need grease all over the place including the bushings. Any moving parts and joints should be greased up.

Cesardrgn
Car: Infiniti G20t-EV0

YES!!! that's the kind of work i like to see. Congrats bud...

wmdavis007

Well I decided to try to fix my passenger rear quarter window last night. I used 94_240sx's fix thread to help ( zerothread?id=383252 ). I couldn't find all the broken pieces to the guides so I had to go another route. I had bought some window guides (rollers) that someone else had used in their fix...the guides are for a 65+ Ford truck. Made by Dorman (Motormite) Help! part #74402. But in there fix they cut off the guide post and welded the Ford rollers in place...not something I wanted to do. So I took my Dremel tool with a barrel roll sander and sanded the plastic smooth on the old Nissan guide. Then put the new Ford guide on the vise with the jaws open enough so the post would be able to come out the bottom...I took a small hammer and knocked the post out of the new guide. Then took my Dremel w/barrel sander and opened the hole a little more....just enough so I could hammer it over the old guide post. Great fit and didn't have to wait for the epoxy to dry . Actually it fit so good I did it to both guides.

Now I just need to do a little more adjustments...adjusting these windows really SUCKS!

Pics:

Non related picture...just washed it the night before:

Stev0n
Car: 90 LS13.5 M6
08 HD Superglide 106ci M6
94 Ranger
97 mercury sable
96 Rape Van

i am thoroughly impressed.

i now find myself wanting a vert.

wmdavis007

The other day I found a brand new high flow Magnaflow catalytic converter very inexpensive so I decided to get it since I've been riding around with a gutted OEM cat since I've had my vert on the road. God I hate working on exhaust!!

Pic of my old gutted OEM cat:

New cat just hanging by two bolts:

Installed:

I wasn't in a hurry to get a new catalytic converter since in my county they just do a visual inspection and don't test the exhaust emissions...but I've always hated the way my exhaust smelled...like an old school bus or a boat motor. Now it's like a normal car...but...I guess the gutted cat acted like a resonator because I've noticed my exhaust note seems to be a little tighter and a tad louder...which I really wasn't wanting, but it's not too bad. My wife said it sounded just as loud as before but after driving this car for the last year and a half every day the least little change I can pick up on. Well, for $50 I'm legal and I don't notice the nasty exhaust smell anymore .

94_240sx

Did you have any fitment issue with Magnaflow cat? I'm asking you because Catco catalytic converter is about an inch short, so it won't fit well with stock exhaust system.

wmdavis007

94_240sx wrote:Did you have any fitment issue with Magnaflow cat? I'm asking you because Catco catalytic converter is about an inch short, so it won't fit well with stock exhaust system.
The Magnaflow cat is the same as the Catco...about an inch shorter. I have Borla exhaust and it's just clamped together so I was able to loosen and extend it to compensate for the inch. It was a pain in the a** but after about an hour I got it to fit just like the it was. I hate working on exhaust...lol. One of the Nismo exhaust hangers gave me a hard time but I finally got it in place. Hope I don't have to mess with it again...ever....lol.

wmdavis007

Hi all! I got to work tonight and had about an hour to kill before I actually had to do any work so I took the opportunity to snap some pics of my car before the sun went down. I washed my car last night...didn't do a great job but it's cleaner then it had been. Hope you like...I went a little crazy and took a lot of pics...check them out: (pics were taken with my iPhone so they aren't the best quality)

Again I'm sorry for so many pics but I couldn't pick just a few to post so I posted them all.

wafflez66
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

car looks great. Nice work.

wmdavis007

Finally got to wiring up my CDRL's (Canadian Day Running Lights, for those that don't know) to my OEM fog light switch. I started off with a JDM 180sx fog light switch but the harness under the dash for the fog lights didn't fit it so I ended up getting a used USDM one that connected right up (ended up just buying a new switch since they still sold them). Found some new OEM Nissan connectors that were nearly the same as the plugs on the CDRL's, just had to modify them slightly and take an insert out of the DRL plugs and they plugged up fine. Oh yeah, had to install a fog light relay in the relay/fuse box under the hood...and a 15amp fuse in there as well. The lights work just as factory fogs would...only work with low beams. They don't give off much light but add a nice look with the yellow Nokya bulbs. Here are a few pics...not the best but enjoy...they look ALOT more yellow in person.

With the lights on:

With them off:

OEM fog light switch:

Modified by wmdavis007 at 4:25 AM 7/20/2009

94_240sx

I love them. Good job on wiring and stuff. So you removed cruise control switches to install OEM fog light switch? Can you post a picture of JDM fog light switch? I've been looking for it, but no luck.

sololock
Car: 91 240sx coupe

where did you get the new drop top and how much?

wmdavis007

94_240sx wrote:I love them. Good job on wiring and stuff. So you removed cruise control switches to install OEM fog light switch? Can you post a picture of JDM fog light switch? I've been looking for it, but no luck.
Here is a picture of the JDM switch...the one on the right is the USDM switch, the JDM switch is on the left. It has a smaller harness plug.

The one on the left is the front of the JDM switch...

Hope this helps you out.

94_240sx

wmdavis007 wrote:Hope this helps you out.
I got it. Thank you. They are not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for one that'll replace O/D(overdrive) indicator. I want to keep cruise control switches, so I need to find a 180sx fog light switch. JDM switch that you have is Silvia fog light switch, and I have a brand new one.

wmdavis007

94_240sx wrote:I got it. Thank you. They are not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for one that'll replace O/D(overdrive) indicator. I want to keep cruise control switches, so I need to find a 180sx fog light switch. JDM switch that you have is Silvia fog light switch, and I have a brand new one.
Ahh...ok. The guy I bought it from said it came off a 180sx...thanks for clearing that up for me. But it really doesn't matter cause I've tried testing it and I can't get anything out of it...think it's shot. As for the switch your looking for I've only seen a few for sale...and those were a little rough looking. If I see one for sale I'll email you the link.

94_240sx

I can't find this plug on my car. Should I remove fender liner? I'm afraid I'm screwed. I don't want to do wiring for the fog lights.

EDIT: Never mind. I found it. It was under the thick main harness, so I couldn't see. I removed the battery and found it. A blank plug was plugged in . Wires are black and orange/black or something like that, and it wasn't solid orange. Relay is already there too.

Modified by 94_240sx at 2:37 PM 11/28/2009

jamesblonde82
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx convertible RIP 5/10/07 1993 Nissan 240sx convertible

looks like your vert is coming along very nicely. so you didn't have to do any wiring for the rearview, just plug and play? do you remember the part number(s) for the rearview assembly? i'd like the whole kit too with the jumper wire harness as well.

wmdavis007

94_240sx wrote:I can't find this plug on my car. Should I remove fender liner? I'm afraid I'm screwed. I don't want to do wiring for the fog lights. EDIT: Never mind. I found it. It was under the thick main harness, so I couldn't see. I removed the battery and found it. A blank plug was plugged in . Wires are black and orange/black or something like that, and it wasn't solid orange. Relay is already there too.Modified by 94_240sx at 2:37 PM 11/28/2009
Glad you found it...I was just going to tell you to pull the battery and look really good with a bright flashlight. I had to buy the relay...least you got to save on that, but they are pretty cheap from rockauto.com.

wmdavis007

jamesblonde82 wrote:looks like your vert is coming along very nicely. so you didn't have to do any wiring for the rearview, just plug and play? do you remember the part number(s) for the rearview assembly? i'd like the whole kit too with the jumper wire harness as well.
Thanks man. Yeah...it's plug and play. Only thing I wouldn't consider plug and play is the ground...just get a self tapping screw and your good. As for the part numbers: Map light mirror assembly is K2573 6X001 and the part name is MIR AY-INR RR VIEW

Map light mirror wiring harness is K1231 6X002 and the part name is JUMPER MIRROR / CRTSY LGT

I know the part names look a little funny but that is what call them. I got both of them from Courtesy Nissan (http://www.courtesyparts.com/). Both of them together cost me a little over $100.

Here is a link to my post about the wiring: zerothread?id=405082

Hope this helps.

wmdavis007

Wow it's been a long time since I posted on my build thread....
Last Oct./Nov. my car really started running bad. The idle was...well...lets say messed up,so I decided to fix it this weekend. It was all over the place, from about to stall out at 500 RPM's up to 1500 RPM's. Was really crazy. Tried cleaning my IACV (idle air control valve) but it was f'ed...I won't go into it. Anyway, I needed a new IACV so I started pricing them, but...I noticed there was a big difference in the two plugs on the IACV...every place I found, even Nissan my plug-ins were different. Mine are square/rectangle shaped, all the 92-93 valves I found had like an oval shaped plug. I solved the problem....order a 89 IACV and it fits and plugs in perfect! Yeah, a SOHC IACV for a DOHC....it works, and the plugs are spot on. Look them up on Rockauto.com, the 92 one's will not plug up but the 89's will...crazy I know.

Also I ordered some rebuilt fuel injectors....have to wait for the Nissan place to open on Monday morning so I can get the intake o-ring/gaskets.

Then it's just a quick fix for the rear quarter window, install the carpet and replace the loud a** Borla exhaust for the new stock exhaust I just bought....then I'll be ready for summer weather.

Here is a pic of the 89 IACV:

Here is the 92 IACV:

Plug in's are way different, if you need a "idle air control valve" buy one for a 1989 or you will get one with wrong plug in's. Trust me....learn from my mistakes...hehe.

:bigthumb:

cmkelly
Car: 1992 240sx Vert, 2006 Acura TL, 2001 Pathfinder LE, 1996 4Runner 4x4

Glad you got it figured out - now watch those O-rings when installing your injectors!

wmdavis007

Car is running great now!! After I installed the IACV, the reman. fuel injectors and cleaned the mass air flow sensor my car purrs like a kitten. Just a few more things and it will be ready for "top down" weather. I can't believe how much better my car runs...the acceleration now is twice as good as it was. Should even get better gas mileage...and I was getting pretty good gas mileage before.

:bigthumb:

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

very nice

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”