Wire eaten by rats - car won't start

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
dogcomp
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

Yesterday, all of a sudden my car would jerk like it wasn't getting gas every speed above 2000 rpm's. 2008 hatchback 6 speed Versa. This morning it wouldn't start at alll. Checked under the hood to find a rat or squirrel has camped out on top of the battery and eaten through a wire set that goes from the left side of the battery to a connector on a box that is 2 boxes behind the battery. It connects on top of the box. Looks like an easy fix if I can get a new connector with some leading wires (about 8" is missing now). Can anyone tell me what this connector might be? The symptoms are all the lights light up on the dash but there is no power whatsoever to the starter.

dogcomp

Okay, more info about this. I found out the wire the rat chewed thru goes to the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I need a new plug because the rat ate the wires right to the edge of the plug. I did manage to connect some spare wire between the nibbits of wire left at the plug to the wire about 4" away on the harness. The warning light on the dash went away and all the usual lights come on on the dash, but still nothing, not a sound, when I try to start the car. Guess I will try to jump the car, though with everything that comes on, it seems like the battery has plenty of juice. Anyway, does anyone out there know where the other end of the wire harness for this might go. Looks like I will have to buy the whole harness because no one sells just the plug.

sx moneypit
Car: 2010 370Z
1986 Toyota MR2

Might want to check with these guys.
http://www.wiringspecialties.com/

Welcome to NICO!

Eagle815
Car: 2015 Versa S base

Hope you get this fixed. As preventative measure suggest some low odor, high temp general automotive grease rubbed on shrouded wires and plastics in engine compartment, and perhaps some plastic loom conduit secured by tie wraps. Honda sells some dedicated anti-rodent tape (about $30-50 a roll) impregnated with pepper extract, as some of their models are known to attract rodents due to use of eco-origin plastics. You can also leave your hood up in the carport or garage and mount some external lighting to make the warmth of the engine area less nice for chewy animals. A good mouser cat or two may also help, but get references first (some be lazy). Good luck.

dogcomp

Still working on this. was able to get a replacement plug with enough wire length to splice it in but still won't start. Got a hint from someone that it might be the pnp switch which deals with your backup lights. My backup lights had been out for months, and I remembered there were a couple times that the car wouldn't start or even try to turn over until I tried it a few or 6 times. So I replaced the pnp switch and now I have backup lights but still won't start. Then someone mentioned that the car might be immobilized so now I am trying different tricks to unlock the immobilization. One problem might be that I have lost one of the keys and it might be the registered key. Can small repair shops fix the immobilization problem or am I going to have to take it to the dealer, which means an enormous towing charge because I live way out in the boonies.

Return to “Versa General Chat”