Winter Washer Fluid Causing Low Level Alarm

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
RValenti6909
Car: 2013 Infiniti QX56

I have a 2013 QX56 and recently moved from a warm climate where standard windshield washer fluid was used year round, to a cold weather climate. This winter I drained the windshield washer tank and refilled it with cold weather washer fluid (good to -40 degrees). When I refilled the tank, the low level warning light came on and will not go out. I tried multiple brands of fluid, including Infiniti's brand but the problem persisted. When I replace the cold weather fluid with normal fluid or just plain water, the light goes out.

I understand that the sensor in the tank is electronic and not the old float switch. My assumption is that the electronic sensor does not react well to the chemical make-up of the cold weather fluid. I am interested to see if someone else has had this problem.

marctronixx

what is "normal fluid"?

why can't you continue to use this "normal fluid"? is it because it's not rated for a certain temp?

and are you saying ever since you had the car you never had the sensor warning show up until now?

do you have the washer jets on the headlamps also?

RValenti6909

What I call normal fluid is fluid that is rated for normal ranges of temperature (cold weather rating of +32 degrees F to 0 degrees F). I moved to Canada so I switched it out with extreme cold weather fluid (rated down to -40 degrees).

From the time I purchased the SUV new in 2013, the only time the low level warning came on is when the level was low. I would fill it up with "normal fluid" and the warning would go away. When I switched to the extreme cold weather fluid, the alarm would not go away. I check to make sure the sensor didn't go bad by draining the extreme fluid and refilling with water and it worked fine. As soon as I refill with the extreme cold weather fluid the level warning stays on all the time.

I do not have jets on the headlights but I do have one on the rear windshield. The pump is working fine. I just cant get the low level alarm to go away with the extreme cold weather fluid. Note: I want to Infinity here in Canada and they sold me the "Nissan" brand fluid they use in their cars and it does the same thing.

marctronixx

canada! 'nuff said! :)

never heard of this issue before, and i troll infiniti forums daily (I mod a couple) for years.

it does seem like its down to a particular fluid.

when i get the diaper changed (what I call an "oil change" :) ) on Fatz (car's nickname) , i do so at the dealer. they usually top off the washer fluid. here in Los Angeles, I don't get to see the fluid so it mostly evaporates. :D, but ive never seen the warning. I also don't know what the dealer uses for washer fluid.

ill look around for more on info on this because i am quite intrigued....

RValenti6909

Yeah thanks....I appreciate it. Will post if I learn something new.

marctronixx

it also seems you can't simply replace the low level sensor because it's a part of the entire washer tank assembly.

so, even if you find a reason as to why the sensor works with some washing solvents and not with others, you will have to replace the washer tank all together (just like the petrol filter and screen is all a part of the petrol pump in the tank).

RValenti6909

Agreed. At this point I am just trying to understand it.

marctronixx

seems that some brand of Rain-x have caused some issues with other carmakers:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threa ... ff.482583/

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5 ... y-2864561/

link to amazon review (got this from the first link up there)

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-Windshiel ... nk20762-20

one guy mentions Ram did a TSB on it in the first link.

seems like from what I have been reading, some of the ingredients in some washer solvent will erode the electronic sensor.

maybe pull the tsb from Dodge/Chrysler/Ram (maybe you can source it from the internet) and find out more research from that...

EDIT: more info from the class action lawsuit.

https://www.girardgibbs.com/wp-content/ ... awsuit.pdf
23. Rain-X is incompatible with a common type of windshield washer fluid sensor
known as a “continuity prong washer sensor.” This sensor is frequently found in European- and
American-brand vehicles, such as Volkswagen, Audi, Mini Cooper, BMW, Mercedes Benz and
Chrysler.

24. The continuity prong washer sensor detects the presence of washer fluid by
passing an electrical charge between two metal prongs, which are visible in this picture of the
sensor:

25. Electricity is conducted between these prongs only when they are immersed in the
washer fluid. When the fluid level falls below the level of the prongs, an electrical charge does
not pass, and the sensor triggers a warning light on the dashboard indicating that washer fluid is
low.

26. The use of these four Rain-X windshield washer fluids inhibits a charge from
passing between the metal prongs even when liquid is present. In essence, Rain-X reacts with
and/or coats the sensor’s metal prongs with electrically insulating chemical compounds that
isolate the metal electrodes and render them inoperative. These chemical compounds likely
consist of silicon based polymers including polysiloxane, hydroxyl-terminated
polydimethylsiloxane, and/or derivative compounds. As a result, the sensor fails to detect
whether washer fluid is present. Because a charge does not pass, the sensor triggers the low fluid
warning light, which remains illuminated whether or not washer fluid is present.
theres also photos of a good and bad "continuity prong washer sensor" in the above class action suit towards the bottom.

https://www.google.com/search?q=continu ... e&ie=UTF-8

im not sure if the nissan/infiniti designs have three types of sensors, but the sensor is electronic so ie may be similar in design...

RValenti6909

All great information. The Rain-X lawsuit describes exactly what is happening to my Infiniti.

Thanks again. I will update you as I learn more.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”