Windshield WASHFLUID ISSUE!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
SpeedyV09
Car: 08 Versa SL Black

It's LONG I know but please read it all

I am a college student. Have to park my Versa outside. Live in Minnesota don't know if anyone has been watching the news but we have had a lot of snow and some really f***ing cold temperatures!

Had a snow emergency the other night drove my car into schools reserved lot very quickly didn't check anything.

When warming it up and putting it back on the street went to use my windshield washer fluid. NOTHING, checked to see if snow was blocking it NOPE. Found a spot parked grabbed a flashlight popped the hoodTHE TANK IS FROZEN SOLID! The fluid is rated to -25 below

we have had -9° temps over the past 2 days car has been outside with windchill were pushing -30°

What do I do? I can warm it up obviously but I'm more concearned about the tubes and if it suddenly heats up cracking and the pump motors were used to. Even more concearning is the back window, didn't try it but I know lines freezing is a large problem.

ANY ADVICE PLEASE!

Thank You

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I wouldn't worry about damage from melting. It'd be hard to melt the ice fast enough to do any damage to plastic components. It's the freezing that's likely to do the damage. Hopefully your pump is unharmed.

You might want to see if the manufacturer of the fluid you use offers any guarantee...if it's rated to 25 below, I'd say they owe you some replacement parts if anything was damaged. Wind chill should not affect the washer reservoir...it isn't exposed to the wind.

Andrews Chalmers
Car: Versa '07 SL CVT

All windchill does is bring the temperature of the car down to ambient temperature at a faster pace. It'll never actually cool to windchill temps, and weather predictions only use them to give people an idea of what to expect.

I'll suspect that your fluid was probably diluted by what was in the tank? If not - your fluid manufacturer has a problem.

SpeedyV09

Andrews Chalmers wrote:All windchill does is bring the temperature of the car down to ambient temperature at a faster pace. It'll never actually cool to windchill temps, and weather predictions only use them to give people an idea of what to expect.

I'll suspect that your fluid was probably diluted by what was in the tank? If not - your fluid manufacturer has a problem.
Yea, I knew that about windchill and temps but I guess when it is god only knows how cold you start to wonder. Anyways faced the versa toward the sun when it would be the hottest, it melted and now the windshield wiper fluid comes out fine, haven't tried the back yet though.

So I figure it was something with the fluid obviously, I am going to try and use up the fluid quickly and put in a different brand same temp rating.

Who knows thanks for your help everyone.

led hed
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL HB 6spd

windchill has no effect on inanimate objects.

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

where did you buy the fluid?

SpeedyV09

Umm... Most likely target.

I went to the dealer problem solved by the way, they said condensation had found it's way into the reservoir and the lines resulting in it freezing.

The guy didn't seem to sure but I took my keys said thank you and left

Anyone ever heard of this before?

arjackson
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa Hatchback

Hi! I (and my daughter, who also has 2007 hatchback like mine) have had this problem whenever the temp drops below 20 degrees. Forget the wind chill, forget the fluid brand, this is a serious problem which deserves a recall! I live in Pittsburgh, and we get very cold winters too.

This has happend to me many times....when the car has been parked at home, at work, when driving. Once I was driving home last winter on an interstate when my windshield washer again froze completely...very dangerous, as I could barely see out the windshield. I managed to get to a Nissan dealer once I exited and he put the dealer's brand of fluid (good to 20 below) in for me, and it froze again on the way home! My son-in-law was driving the Ohio turnpike this week and his froze, and he too managed to get to a Nissan dealer, who did same thing, and it froze again.

So this is not a problem of using cheap or wrong fluid, or wind chill, it is a design flaw that should be addressed by Nissan ASAP. I have been driving Nissans since 1980 and this is the first model to ever do this.

A friend suggested insulating the fluid container. Any ideas how I might do that? Any other suggestions?

Thanks and happy 2010!

steed77
Car: 09 Versa Fresh Powder Sedan 6speed

I have had issues with lots of the "blue" fluid. It has frozen on several cars before for me. Since replacing a 300.00 tank a few years back (not a nissan) I have given up on cheap fluid.

This is all I use in all my cars.

Since the change.... NEVER had any issues. I also keep it topped off as much as possible.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

We've been dealing with freezing cold temperatures here in Canada, and after two years of ownership, no issues at all with the windshield washer fluid. Nothing has frozen on my Versa before and yesterday was a prime example of the cold. Hit a low of -25 degrees! :O

arjackson

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm going to get the Rainex ASAP and see what happens.

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

one of the issues with the us Versa's is that the sprayer nozzle is metal not plastic and freezes the fluid in sprayer not the reservoir, at least that has been my experience driving through upstate NY last year.

arjackson

Wow, and I thought today's wind chill of -3 in Pittsburgh was bad! Glad to hear you've had no problems...other than this, I love my lil Versa. I drove a Murano until my divorce 3 years ago (my ex now drives a Porche - go figure)

Another poster suggested Rainex De-Icer, and I'm going to try it ASAP. Also suggested to keep it topped off, which is sensible advice.

Happy 2010!

arjackson

Yeah, a co-worker who was helping me pointed this out. Since I'm a car-care newbie with no garage inmy new life, this is a slow learning curve for me. Thanks to everyone for their help...Versa owners are the best!

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

just get this stuff guys, its good down to -34 F...problems solved!

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

funny, I use the blue "no name" stuff and have had no problems.

"ymmv" seems to be applicable here as everywhere.

arjackson

Well, I'm obviously the exception that proves the rule. Went to an auto parts store today to get Rainex De-Icer; the salesman told me Prestone was more effective to lower temps. He even helped me add the Prestone to the almost-empty washer reservoir. No luck - still no fluid delivered to windshield or hatch window. Got home, opened the reservoir, saw it was consistency of "slushy" drink; added more Prestone. Still no luck!

I guess I'll just have to wait til the spring thaw...bought some Prestone DeIcer in spray form to use on windshield every 5 miles or so. Weather highs only in 20s predicted all week; I've noticed in past that about 25 degrees is needed for my fluid to defrost. I'm not good at car care except basics, and don't know what else to do. I never had this problem with SX200, Sentras, Stanzas, Quests, Murano...going back 30 years.

Bummer!

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

arjackson wrote:Well, I'm obviously the exception that proves the rule. Went to an auto parts store today to get Rainex De-Icer; the salesman told me Prestone was more effective to lower temps. He even helped me add the Prestone to the almost-empty washer reservoir. No luck - still no fluid delivered to windshield or hatch window. Got home, opened the reservoir, saw it was consistency of "slushy" drink; added more Prestone. Still no luck!

I guess I'll just have to wait til the spring thaw...bought some Prestone DeIcer in spray form to use on windshield every 5 miles or so. Weather highs only in 20s predicted all week; I've noticed in past that about 25 degrees is needed for my fluid to defrost. I'm not good at car care except basics, and don't know what else to do. I never had this problem with SX200, Sentras, Stanzas, Quests, Murano...going back 30 years.

Bummer!
Why not park your car in the garage and let it thaw out that way? Just crank up the heater and warm up the garage. That might help out.

arjackson

Great idea...except I don't have a garage, and park outside in a driveway at work. I even tried squirting the de-icer on the little sprayers, but it didn't do any good. And the motor seems to be running on the fluid tank. Must be condensation in the line.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

Well if you did have ice in the lines, then putting whatever fluid in the tank wouldn't help until you managed to get the ice out that's already there.

SpeedyV09

WOW. Had no idea that my one small little incident was actually a lot more wide spread.

Okay first off my problem was resolved. Was a matter of warming up the car = warming up all the lines.

2nd. I talked to a mechanic at the Nissan dealer as well as an auto parts store guy. I know use

Please keep in mind that not everyone needs -30° windshield wiper fluid. Minnesota, Canada, Wisconsin ect... do.

and yes arjackson section of the lines tend to run right across the motor. I was told that if you don't have fluid in there that isn't designed for cold weather won't be as thick and gain condensation faster which will then freeze easier when it gets very cold out. such as -21° here in the past few days
led hed wrote:windchill has no effect on inanimate objects.
And please understand I totally understand that windchill isn't a factor I brought that up just to make sure that I covered all bases when people are trying to help me. Sorry I didn't make that very clear when writing the OP

Please keep replying because I'm actually learning a lot and everyone's 2 cents are helping another person.

Also
kc5fthere. [/QUOTE wrote:
alonsorules8 wrote:one of the issues with the us Versa's is that the sprayer nozzle is metal not plastic and freezes the fluid in sprayer not the reservoir, at least that has been my experience driving through upstate NY last year.
And please try this stuff, we had rain and then snow and then ungodly (-) cold! I had my car outside stupidly and used this stuff worked like a charm melted everything right away and I'm not 100% sure but it may work with a direct shot on the nozzles (Bought it at Target)

Good luck everyone, I'm amazed how much people have responded to this issue. Thanks for the help everyone
VersaMG08 wrote:Why not park your car in the garage and let it thaw out that way? Just crank up the heater and warm up the garage. That might help out.
There isn't a need to park in a garage, I'm a college student screwed to park on the street dang. But if it gets about 15° try to aim the front of your car right at towards the sun at the warmest point of the day whenever that is.
arjackson wrote:..... He even helped me add the Prestone to the almost-empty washer reservoir. No luck - still no fluid delivered to windshield or hatch window. Got home, opened the reservoir, saw it was consistency of "slushy" drink; added more Prestone. Still no luck!
From someone I talked to that sounds like you may have accidentally or maybe have some left over non anti-freeze wiper fluid

Good luck everyone, I'm amazed how much people have responded to this issue
arjackson wrote: Once I was driving home last winter on an interstate when my windshield washer again froze completely...very dangerous, as I could barely see out the windshield.
I have also been told and recommended that you keep a bottle of Rain-X cleaner or something along those lines maybe front seat FULLY CLOSED IN A PLASTIC ZIP LOCK BAG right near by the heater that way it will if needed as well keep a towel, this also helps with clearing headlights to improve visibility. But is a great backup if things do fail.

This can apply to anyone, take it or leave it, comment or criticize it, Input is the only way to help others

Lastly be very very very careful, from what I was told you can cause damage to the rear line leading to the hatchback, make sure that the lines in the front seem absolutely 100% clear before you attempt the read wiper.

-SpeedyV09

Happy New Year, Hope everyone has a great 2010, New Decade let's all do our part to make this an outstanding decade

arjackson

Thanks, all, for your input concerning this. I've given up and am taking my poor lil Versa to the dealer tomorrow for a thaw-out, clean-out, whatever is required! Not having a garage, and with the current cold snap, it seems like the safest thing to do.

I'm 56 years old and newly single, so this is all a learning experience for me. I really appreciate the help and encouragement. Best wishes for a successful and happy 2010!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

alonsorules8 wrote:one of the issues with the us Versa's is that the sprayer nozzle is metal not plastic and freezes the fluid in sprayer not the reservoir, at least that has been my experience driving through upstate NY last year.
I'm not sure metal nozzles alone are to blame, mainly because my Q's nozzles are also metal yet I have never had an issue with them freezing, even when covered in snow and at single-digit (F) temperatures.

arjackson

Who'd a thunk it??? Just as I was getting ready to call the Nissan dealer, while driving to work in 19 degree cold (but no wind), I gave the wipers one last try and - oh my gawd! - they worked, front and rear! Maybe the cheap CVS washer fluid I put in unknowingly 2 years ago finally cycled through, and the Prestone is kicking in.

Hopefully it'll stay clear, as it's predicted cold all week, and the sun never shines in Pittsburgh, especially since the Steelers are officially out of the playoffs!

Thanks to all who helped with great suggestions!

alberich
Car: Nissan Versa 1.8SL 2008 Blueberry

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. I use wiper fluid rated down to -35C (-31F). This winter it did drop on 3 or 4 days down to -46C (-50F).
No freezing issues, although at temperatures below 0C (32F) you can't really use wiper fluid - time to get outside with the ice scraper.

As far as I know, the wiper fluid might have frozen without me knowing.

Return to “Versa General Chat”