Windshield Washer Fluid Light On Dash Stays On Even When I Have A Full Tank

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

The yellow warning washer fluid light on my dash will not go off, and my tank water is full. Has any one fixed this easily? ...Maybe just pull a fuse to reset the BCM or something like that? ...Maybe disconnect the battery for a few minutes?

My guess is that the connection at the bottom of the tank came loose. TBD

Other forum post suggest all Infiniti washer fluid tanks use an external sensor and not an old fashion float. Is this true?

Or do I need to replace the whole tank just to fix this sending unit problem?

Thanks for you help.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's a separate part that clips into the bottom of the tank. Infiniti p/n is 28911-CG000, InfinitiPartsDeal shows it still available.

imnprsd

Thanks VStar650CL.

With your information I found a replacement washer fluid sensor for my 2004 FX45 one on ebay for $60, but I'm wondering if I just want to turn off the LED dash light, can I either just disconnect the feed to the the sensor (which would create an open circuit); or if I can short the 2 wires to turn off the light. Do you know?

Also, is the sensor in clear view after I remove the lower engine skid cover; like I do when I change the oil filter?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

One or the other should turn off the light, that depends on the mechanical arrangement of the switch (whether it makes or breaks when the fluid gets low). Rather than combing through the manual for an hour, just disconnect it and see if the light is still on. If it's off then you're good, if it's on then short the pins and it should go out.

Dunno about the location, I'm a Nissan guy and I don't recall ever doing one on an FX.

imnprsd

OP UPDATE: Today I fixed the dash light problem by disconnecting the washer fluid tank sensor wire connector.

It was not hard to get to and only took 30 minutes. Just remove the skid covers on the passenger side, between the wheel well and the engine skid cover. You don't have to remove the fender skirt. Just wedge a 1" flash light or other object to expose the bottom of the washer tank and then pop out the electrical connector. Pull the electrical connector apart and then seal it with electrical tape. This will permanently "open" the circuit and your dash light will go off. Of course your Washer Dummy Light will never come on again, but who cares! Just be sure you keep fluid in your tank so you don't overheat the wiper pump motor.

Note: Disabling the power to the sensor is easy, but removing the sensor it self (Part #28911CG000) is a lot more work, because you have to gain more access to this area. The sensor can still be bought for $135 list, but my Infiniti Dealer quoted me $80. I would have ordered one, but I did not want to spend a lot time removing the bumper cover. So this repair did not cost me anything and now my washer light on my dash is "off" for good. No worries. I'm satisfied.
Attachments
Attachments
FX45 Washer Fluid Electrical Connector 2.jpg
2004 FX45 Wiper Tank & Washer Motor.jpg
2004 FX45 Wiper Tank & Washer Motor.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 12676 times
2003-8 FX Washer Fluid Level Sensor.jpg
2003-8 FX Washer Fluid Level Sensor.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 12676 times

imnprsd

OP Update: After disconnecting the electrical connection to the fluid sensor and using electrical tape to prevent moisture from affecting exposed wires, I think if were to do this job over again I would just gain access to the bottom of the fluid tank... and reach up with a pair of dikes and cut the wires, which would be easier, faster, and the circuit would be permanently "open," which wil lturn the light off on the dash permanently.
Attachments
2003-8 FX Washer Fluid Level Sensor.jpg
2003-8 FX Washer Fluid Level Sensor.jpg (52.89 KiB) Viewed 12658 times

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”