Windshield

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
kmil123
Car: Jaguar X-Type

Are the windshield's on all Versas TINTED? Sure hope so as I read somewhere on here that they are NOT. I find that hard to believe.

Althalus
Car: '07 Nissan Versa Hatch SL CVT

Mine isn't. I didn't even have an option.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Are you referring to the tinted strip across the top 6" or so that some cars have or the whole windshield being tinted?If you're talking about the whole thing, I think you'll find that virtually no new cars have tinted windshields, at least not stateside. This is not accounting for the slight blue or green tinting effect as a result of the physical makeup of the glass, but actual tint film applied onto, or more likely, into an OEM windshield.In most (all?) states, tinted windshields of any gradient are illegal. This surely is the case in my state (NC) and probably yours also. Sorry.

kmil123

Elmojo wrote:Are you referring to the tinted strip across the top 6" or so that some cars have or the whole windshield being tinted?

Answer: YES!

If you're talking about the whole thing, I think you'll find that virtually no new cars have tinted windshields, at least not stateside. This is not accounting for the slight blue or green tinting effect as a result of the physical makeup of the glass, but actual tint film applied onto, or more likely, into an OEM windshield.In most (all?) states, tinted windshields of any gradient are illegal. This surely is the case in my state (NC) and probably yours also. Sorry.

kmil123

Learning how to post. kmil123 wants to know if the upper 6" or so of the windshield is tinted............I'm NOT asking about the whole windshield, JUST the TOP!

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

Elmojo wrote:Are you referring to the tinted strip across the top 6" or so that some cars have or the whole windshield being tinted?If you're talking about the whole thing, I think you'll find that virtually no new cars have tinted windshields, at least not stateside. This is not accounting for the slight blue or green tinting effect as a result of the physical makeup of the glass, but actual tint film applied onto, or more likely, into an OEM windshield.In most (all?) states, tinted windshields of any gradient are illegal. This surely is the case in my state (NC) and probably yours also. Sorry.
Just FYI----I work for the Colorado State Patrol, and in our reference guide it states that the front windshield MUST allow 70% light transmitance.so it is tintable but only slightly.at least thats the law in Colorado. there is also a rule about the total % for the windows surrounding the driver but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

hey kmil123at least on my Versa the top section of the windshield is not tinted. it just has that dotted stuff to break-up the light behind the rearview mirror.

Althalus

cireecnop1 wrote:hey kmil123at least on my Versa the top section of the windshield is not tinted. it just has that dotted stuff to break-up the light behind the rearview mirror.
Same with mine.

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Yeah, I thought that you might be referring to the top 6".My V has the same dot pattern behind the mirror, but no other tint.Any decent tint shop could put that on for you, but keep in mind that it will mostlikely be just a strip of regular tint, and have a defined line where it ends, rather than the nice gradient effect that most OEM tint strips have.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Elmojo wrote:Are you referring to the tinted strip across the top 6" or so that some cars have or the whole windshield being tinted?If you're talking about the whole thing, I think you'll find that virtually no new cars have tinted windshields, at least not stateside. This is not accounting for the slight blue or green tinting effect as a result of the physical makeup of the glass, but actual tint film applied onto, or more likely, into an OEM windshield.In most (all?) states, tinted windshields of any gradient are illegal. This surely is the case in my state (NC) and probably yours also. Sorry.
I believe Arizona, New Mexico, and/or both legally allow the full windshield to be tinted. But they are the only states that allow this.

All others allow a 6" tint strip at the top.
Elmojo wrote:Yeah, I thought that you might be referring to the top 6".My V has the same dot pattern behind the mirror, but no other tint.Any decent tint shop could put that on for you, but keep in mind that it will mostlikely be just a strip of regular tint, and have a defined line where it ends, rather than the nice gradient effect that most OEM tint strips have.
What he said.Also, because it's such a small area, a lot of tint shops will charge little to nothing to add this if you're having the rest of your windows tinted.

Althalus

kmil123 wrote:From the replies thus far I am gathering that the TOP of the Versa windshield is NOT tinted. I find that UNBELIEVABLE and unconscionable! I don't recall ever having seen a windshield that didn't have the top tinted, at least in the last 20 to 30 years.

Folks, IF it is NOT tinted I'd have to question WHY as this, IMHO, is a SAFETY issue! So in the words of Howie Mandel......to paraphrase him: "Is the top of the windshield 'tinted........or NOT tinted'"? That is the question I need answered. Once again......THANKS!
My '02 Neon didn't have the top windshield tint either, or my '90 blazer, or either of my parents cars...

Ever Victorious

kmil123 wrote:From the replies thus far I am gathering that the TOP of the Versa windshield is NOT tinted. I find that UNBELIEVABLE and unconscionable! I don't recall ever having seen a windshield that didn't have the top tinted, at least in the last 20 to 30 years.
1) No, the top of the windshield is not tinted on this car and

2) I find your REACTION unbelievable and unconscionable. You've obviously never sat in one of these cars, or you wouldn't even be asking this question. If you HAD sat in one, you'd realize that because of where the roofline sits vs. where the driver sits, it doesn't NEED that strip!

The strip is there on "shorter" cars so that when the sun starts to dip toward the horizon, where the light wavelength is most disruptive to human vision, it tones down the sun. The top 6" of THIS car's windshiled are so high that it really doesn't make a difference. When the sun gets that low, you're either going to use the visors or sunglasses.

Safety issue my (expletive deleted).

Look at the car. Drive the car. THEN judge the car.

kmil123

Mea Culpa, mea maxima culpa! You are right! I did take it for a test drive and was never bothered by the sun. Your right in that I misjudged, assuming all cars should have this.

I do thank you for your response, it is appreciated. Anyways, your the first one to have definitively told me that there is NOT any tint on the upper portion.

Have a nice weekend! BTW, I hope to get an SL when ABS is available with the Convenience Package. I only wish we had a better selection of colors. BTW, is your Versa a CVT? If so I would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Ever Victorious

Mine is a 6MT (6-speed Manual Transmission).

There are many other people here who own CVT's. They could probably shed some light on that.

Sadly, it looks like it will be quite some time before ABS and the convenience package are offered together...

Return to “Versa General Chat”