Windows roll down and doors unlock after driving through rain?!?!?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
usmaan008

I've got a 2007 G35 sedan that has been giving me problems since the rain started a few months back. After driving through the rain I parked in our underground garage. Came back to the car the next morning and all the windows were down and doors unlocked. As I started driving the doors began to lock and unlock by themselves. Took it to the dealership and got the usual, "we cant replicate the issue so we cant fix anything".

Happened a couple other times... the best the dealer would do was reprogram the key fobs.

This morning went down to the car (after driving in the rain last night) and the same thing, not once but 4 times today. And its a sunny day.

And no, my fob wasnt in a pocket, it was not depressed, it had a new battery. It's not user error (at least I dont think so). It only happens after driving in the rain.

Anybody have any idea whats happening or experienced the same thing. My dealership isn't willing to investigate any further and I called Infiniti corporate to get some help, should hear from them tomorrow.

Thanks for any help.

infinitgkid
Car: '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe

oh wow... you got me stumped...

It sounds to me that your car is haunted...

Someone should chime in soon with a more legitimate answer...

Best of luck to you man!

uncbeers

I read this in the Nissan forums once except the guy had it happen during the winter. Came out one day and his whole inside was frozen because his windows had rolled down in the middle of the night. Long story short, he made the dealership keep it until the problem was replicated. Yours seems to be frequent enough that they should be willing to keep it 24hrs and replicate it. I would push for that. (This was here on Nico if you want to search for it.)

Does it stop after a few days of sunshine? If so, tell your dealership the next time it rains you are bringing it in and they will keep it for 24hrs...a car with malfunctioning windows and doors is no good. How long did they hang on to it the first time to try and replicate it?

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Just in case, try and think back to each time this happened. Was there any chance the unlock button on your keyfob might have been pressed down while this occurred?

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hey there and Welcome to Nico.

That sounds a little odd that your dealer was unwilling to try any more? In a situation like that the tech should drive the car through their car wash (if so equipped) or use a hose to saturate the car. Lazyness will be the death of many dealers.

I would highly suspect you are getting a false signal from somewhere. Water intrusion is the most likely culprit either in the IPDM (behind the battery) or somehow leaking into the car.

Have you ever noticed wet floors or a musty smell? That's a solid indicator of where to go next. Good Luck

usmaan008

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The dealer kept it for 3 days the last time I took it there. They said they ran it through their car wash and there was no problem. I could have told them that. Nothing happens in car washes which leads me to believe that the spray coming off the road while driving in the rain is getting up into something it shouldn't be. I told them this before I dropped the car off but because they're idiots they didn't listen.

The issue usually goes away after a day of being dry. And I make sure the fob is in hand dangling from the key chain so there is no way I can accidentally hold down the unlock button.

Any other theories? I'm trying to present all possible angles to the corporate guy this evening.
Modified by usmaan008 at 10:35 AM 3/5/2009

usmaan008

btw no musty smell or wet floors

uncbeers

I say the next time it rains a decent amount you need to head right for the dealership. Even better would be if it happens and you're sitting right there with them.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

You know what I think it might be a humidity related pin fit issue. So running it through the car wash won't work.

I understand your frustration, but from the other POV if we cannot get your car to act up fixing it is pretty much impossible. Many systems in these car generate codes and if they can duplicate the symptoms when this happens diagnosing it will be easier. Hang in there a fix will be found.

4drsleeper
Car: 2008 G35

Do you had the aftermarket grounding wire kit installed? If so, I would check the ground wire that enters the car behind the battery and make sure water isn't entering the car directly above the ecu.

G-Love

I've been having a similar issue with my '04 G Coupe! My lights flash and horn chirps quickly...all the while my door locks keep clicking. It's been happening on and off the past month or so...but the last 2 days it's been nearly incessant! Does something need to be reset? Currently my key fob is dead...

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

G-Love wrote: Currently my key fob is dead...
I think your fob may be internally shorted sending a signal when it should not be. Try removing the battery and leaving it out. See if it still happens.

G-Love

thanks steve...any chance of getting the fob fixed? or is it DOA?

spinn1
Car: 2003 G35

I had the same thing happen to me last nite. Maybe it's possible I was sitting on the fob while on the couch...I dunno.

jmann
Car: 2017 Mercedes GLC300 4matic
2015 Infiniti QX70 AWD

I would bet your driver door lock mechanism is the culprit. I believe the actual key can be used to unlock all the doors and I know it can be used to roll down the windows. if you can get access to it make sure that you dry it out completely and use some petroleum jelly to completely waterproof it. That should solve the problems.

Jimbobear
Car: 2010 Infiniti G37 S coupe

I've also had the same problem on my g37 's but my sun roof half opens too.only happened once though.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

@jmann had it right, mystery roll-downs are almost always the result of a bad door cylinder switch (at least when they aren't the result of an accidentally-pressed unlock button on a pocketed fob).

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”