Window Off Track

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
bonzai007
Car: Nissan 350z

I tried replacing my window motor, but i'm not quite done.

The replacement motor actually moves this time, but i can't figure out how I screwed up, putting it back together. The end of the window towards the front of the car is not following the grove. So the window would hit the black triangle, rather than going into the slot so the window could raise all the way up.

Anyone familiar with what I did wrong, or how to correct it?

bonzai007

OK, so I was finally able to complete the DIY, changing the window motor procedure, per 350Z DIY: Changing The Window Motor.: 350Z / 370Z Forum: Nissan Forums / Infiniti Forums - NICOclub. My motor just stopped working, and banging the door and cleaning the motor did not help ...so I replaced the window motor with a remanufactured one from O'reilly's / Krager's (only other big parts store I found with limited lifetime warranty, and Autozone / Advanced Auto were vendor out of stock).

When putting the door back together, i managed to pull the window off the window track or window guide. You cannot see it, but there's a groove that runs along, from the top of the black triangle (where the mirror attaches to the door) ...to the bottom, inside the door where you cannot see. When "off track", the window was unable to go all the way up because it was restricted by that black triangle. I had to take the inner door panel off again, and feel around the bottom inside with my hands to get the window back in the groove. Then, of course, I had to be careful about pulling the window out of its groove. I guess this happened because one can stuggle a bit, trying to re-attach the 4 bolts/nuts that hold the window to the inner door panel.

And then I had to play around with resetting the window memory. Now that the window is back in its groove, and that the window is brushing along the outside weather strip, evenly (and not crooked) ...it was still not going up all the way, even though I no longer saw any restrictions. To get the window to go all the way up, I had to hold the reset button, at the same time. And then I was able to follow the normal window reset procedure, "window regulator motor reset procedure," in that same thread above.

I'm happy I was finally able to do this window motor replacement by myself, and I can see I'll be a pro at this from now and on. Was it worth wasting 5 hours of my precious time? ...debatable.

bonzai007

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”