Window leak!

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Armstrs
Car: 2009 Infiniti g37 convertible

Have had my G37 convertible for 4 days. Love it! Graphite on graphite, premium, nav, illuminated kick plates, wind screen and 10 spoke wheel upgrade. Problem: I noticed water coming in above the drivers side Window when it rained the day after I got it. Water ran down the corner and soaked the tweeter. Next day, hwy speeds... sure is a lot more wind noise on this side of the car... Then, I notice a clicking/rattle noise from the top of the window whenever I hit a bump. WTF? Well, upon closer examination I see that when the window closes, it butts up against the metal roof edge insead of in the rubber seal! If I put a little pressure on the glass when I close the door, the window will go up into the rubber like it is supposed to, but it doesn't stay there. I live in the boonies and the dealer is 2 hours away. Just wondering if any one has had a similar problem. I'm afraid that when they fix it, something else will get screwed up. Thanks for any comments.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

welcome to NICO!

With the 'vert being new, I haven't heard of any leak issues.

Let's see if any of our techs know of any TSBs.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Congrats on the new G37. Although I have yet to see any water leaks or wind noise complaints from any of the nearly two dozen models that have been sold at my dealer in the last month or so, it is quite possible for one point of contact to cause both issues. It seems like you have isolated the source fairly well.

If you could post a picture (or email me, whichever is easier) I will see if I can help you with a minor adjustment that could hopefully save you a trip to the dealer.

It sounds like a fitment issue is the cause of your issue but some water leaks may be noticed when the car is run through a carwash or monsoon type rain as the pressure and volume of the water can overwhelm the complex draining structure.

xtrema

http://www.canadiandriver.com/...e.htm

under comments:

Quote »Drove one today - with the top down was excellent. With the top up a disaster. The whole roof assembly shook when we hit any sized bump. Have others experienced this or were we driving a protype lemon?[/quote]This is the second comment that echo the same issue out of many articles and threads I have read.

Look like I should wait for the bugs to be worked out.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Maybe the model that the person who wrote that did indeed drive a pre production model but I do not know anything is possible. I have driven several (new) convertibles and they seem pretty even to the hard top with the top up but the fact of the matter is there will always be some sort of side effect of a convertible. Horror stories of new products are one of the truly great things about search engines and the internet in general. That and http://failblog.org/

If there is a problem with any of the top parts I have a strong feeling Infiniti corporate will be very curious about this. They sourced the parts from a very reputible European manufacturer that has been making convertible tops both of the hard and soft varieties for decades. Individual problems may happen on a case by case basis, it's just the nature of the business. I wouldn't have a job if everything was perfect

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

xtrema wrote:http://www.canadiandriver.com/...e.htm

under comments:

This is the second comment that echo the same issue out of many articles and threads I have read.

Look like I should wait for the bugs to be worked out.
Interesting stuff.No roof leak here and with the top up, no rattles or noise. With the roof up and windows down, there is some minor flexing but nothing I would classify as a major flaw.

I would however complain about the "clinking" noise coming from the snaps on the strap that holds the seat belt to the shoulder section of the seat - they make some minor but irritating noise. I am thinking about cutting them off but I will be left with a lonely snap receptacle on the seat shoulder.

Armstrs

Ok, so I drove the 2 hours to the dealer and now I am driving a loaner EX. Infiniti service seems to be top notch. They said they would have picked up the vehicle even though I live so far away. And, they will be driving it out to me if and when it gets fixed. There is no adjustment for the window as far as top edge of glass in/out only up/down and rotate, so they are still investigating why it is not closing correctly. <sigh> I would like to say that this is probably an isolated incident and in no way should it deter anyone from buying this car. Of course....the less of them on the road, the greater the exclusivity of ownership.....hmm.

Modified by Armstrs at 7:07 AM 8/5/2009
Modified by Armstrs at 7:08 AM 8/5/2009

xtrema

Armstrs wrote:Of course....the less of them on the road, the greater the exclusivity of ownership.....hmm.

Modified by Armstrs at 7:08 AM 8/5/2009
Priced like a 328, perform almost like a 335, it gonna be popular.

But I guess Infiniti leasing (at least in Canada) isn't confident on resale value. The buy out after 48 months is super low, making the monthly lease higher than a equivalent 328 vert.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Armstrs wrote:I would like to say that this is probably an isolated incident and in no way should it deter anyone from buying this car.
That is very commendable of you given the situation. Many new owners would be furious and come to a forum like this and bash the car and company. The truth is things happen and as long as the situation is addressed by the dealer your car should be fine.

I find it amazing they are willing to drive your car to you. That is a commendable practice they are offering, it is hard to be mad when they are driving your car back to you. My dealer is too short on staff to perform that service although I have been lobbying hard for it.

Armstrs

So, that was fast. The car was returned to me tonight after I got off of work. The window now goes up into the rubber seal like it is supposed to, although it still does not look like the passenger side. Happy to report that the wind noise and "clunking" noise are gone now,even at 70+ mph. They did such a great job cleaning it for me, that there was no way I was taking a water hose to it. They also fixed a chip in the fender. I was told they did water tests and there was no leaking. I still wish I knew what they had to do, but it's probably best I do not. Thanks again for the replies.

Another question....Dumb I know.... There is nothing in the owners manual about what to put in the tires. I assume nitrogen but where the heck do I get em' filled at?

bschurr

Glad to hear your issue was resolved quickly and to your satisfaction. Sounds like you have an AWESOME dealer.
Armstrs wrote:<snip... There is nothing in the owners manual about what to put in the tires. I assume nitrogen but where the heck to I get em' filled at?
Infalte with reular compressed air - it is fine. Nitrogen is better because it does not expand and contract as much as ambient air with temperature fluctuation. You can find Nitrogen at Costco.

PS - ambient air is 78% nitrogen

xtrema

Armstrs wrote:Another question....Dumb I know.... There is nothing in the owners manual about what to put in the tires. I assume nitrogen but where the heck to I get em' filled at?
http://ahotcupofjoe.wordpress....-scam/

This explains it well IMO.

Just check your tires often (or I assume G37 has TPMS that shows psi) and you would be ok.

And it may help if you live close to Canada and has harsh winters.

Chances are, you're more likely burn the threads off the tires than the tire disintegrate because of moisture.

bschurr

Armstrs wrote:IMG_0047.JPG
Looks like you are trying to post a picture. Check this out --> zerothread?id=254009

I use Shutterfly instead of Photobucket but it is all the same...

BTW - graphite/graphite cars are the fastest! You obviously have great taste in cars

Armstrs

Thanks. The article was great. I just saw the N2 on the valve stems and thought "WTF am I supposed to do." luckily it wasn't a finance manager add on. Holy crap, don't get me started on that experience. What a beating that was. 2 hours of my life I will never get back.Thanks again for the info.
Modified by Armstrs at 9:03 PM 8/5/2009

Armstrs

Thanks. I was trying to see if I could post a pic from my iPhone...guess not. Everyone knows what it looks like anyway, I guess. Same car, different driveway.

Lady G
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible Premier Edition

I got my G37 Convertible Premier Edition in June. I have a leak on the driver's side rear window and I hear quite a bit of wind noise on the passenger side. I am taking the car to the dealership Monday. I will let you guys know what they say.

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

Welcome to Nico Nichelle! I see you got a Premier edition convertible as well. Those are rare, and very nice by the way. Hope to see you monday morning. still have the Q?

Armstrs

It has not rained since my car was fixed so, I have not been able to test the window in a "real world" situation yet. It still leaks when I wash the car, although not as bad as it was. Yesterday I had the top down and the windows up. I noticed that the top edge of the drivers side window does not come all the way up to the top edge of the back window. On the passenger side they are even. I'm not sure if it even matters but...Anyway, good luck and please let us know how it goes.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Lady G wrote:I got my G37 Convertible Premier Edition in June.
That is by far the best looking combination this model comes in currently. Congrats!

I think some small window fitment issues may not be too bad given the fact that the entire roof and everything associated with it stows into the body.

At our dealer in Alexandria we have only had one customer with a top that would not work and he was un lucky enough to leave a book under the parcel shelf, which threw off the shelf travel position sensor, a simple five minute fix. If you are taking it to this dealer we'll get you fixed up without an issue.

Lady G

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you guys. I cancelled my first appointment to investigate leak further. It didn't leak again when it rained but rear windows leak when I wash the car. I took the car back to dealership in Alexandria, VA and my service advisor told me "unfortunately that's going to happen." He also said all convertibles have some type of leak. That's bs. I have had 3 Lexus SC430 convertibles and they never leaked. He said, well that's a different manufacturer. So needless to say when I get a chance I'm going to make an appointment to go to either the Infiniti dealership in Annapolis or Tyson's Corner. The saga continues........

bschurr

Lady G wrote: I took the car back to dealership in Alexandria, VA and my service advisor told me "unfortunately that's going to happen." He also said all convertibles have some type of leak. That's bs. I have had 3 Lexus SC430 convertibles and they never leaked. He said, well that's a different manufacturer. The saga continues........
That is just shameful!!!Steve (the Tech) please help LadyG out...

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

We're taking care of it...

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

bschurr wrote:That is just shameful!!!Steve (the Tech) please help LadyG out...
As soon as I read this (~2pm)I contacted LadyG as well as had a chat with the service manager. This is not acceptable plain and simple. I will do anything I personally can to help.

Infiniti trains the technicians to fix these cars but sadly they do not send the SAs to school for new model training, other than a requires multiple choice online exam. In many dealers there is little communication between the senior technicians and the service writers if they do not work in the same sub group.

If you are taking your car into a dealer for service I strongly suggest asking to show the technician what you are experiencing if there is an issue or technical question. The guys in the back are the ones that know the ins and outs of the systems we work with everyday, the guys up front have more of a customer relations role.

To anyone else who may be considering service at my dealer, please note that the entire service staff knows now that these cars are not supposed to leak. There is a small potential that you may see a drip or two when going through a car wash but under normal conditions there should be no water or air intrusion. I specifically asked all of the writers today if they are ever asked about a water leak to point it my way as I would really like to see one (I'm sorry I'm that kind of geek, I am not praying for your cars to leak) but if there is an issue there are corrective adjustments that can and should be made. Sadly this type of issue happens and as Infiniti owners we need to take it upon ourselves to get answers.

To LadyG- I would personally like to apologize on behalf of the staff at Passport. Let me know what I can do to make this right.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

SteveTheTech wrote:
As soon as I read this (~2pm)I contacted LadyG as well as had a chat with the service manager. This is not acceptable plain and simple. I will do anything I personally can to help.

Infiniti trains the technicians to fix these cars but sadly they do not send the SAs to school for new model training, other than a requires multiple choice online exam. In many dealers there is little communication between the senior technicians and the service writers if they do not work in the same sub group.

If you are taking your car into a dealer for service I strongly suggest asking to show the technician what you are experiencing if there is an issue or technical question. The guys in the back are the ones that know the ins and outs of the systems we work with everyday, the guys up front have more of a customer relations role.

To anyone else who may be considering service at my dealer, please note that the entire service staff knows now that these cars are not supposed to leak. There is a small potential that you may see a drip or two when going through a car wash but under normal conditions there should be no water or air intrusion. I specifically asked all of the writers today if they are ever asked about a water leak to point it my way as I would really like to see one (I'm sorry I'm that kind of geek, I am not praying for your cars to leak) but if there is an issue there are corrective adjustments that can and should be made. Sadly this type of issue happens and as Infiniti owners we need to take it upon ourselves to get answers.

To LadyG- I would personally like to apologize on behalf of the staff at Passport. Let me know what I can do to make this right.
I have to say that this is very impressive. I've been active in Audi, Mercedes and BMW forums, and while you can always count on other members to offer advice, I've never seen a forum where they will intervene in a service problem. That's fantastic.

As an example, I had a Benz AMG (C32) and Mercedes created as specific forum for AMG owners. In several cased, owners had legitimate issues with service problems, but the forum moderator really had no willingness or ability to solve anything.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

In my days working at MB I remember some very interesting problems with the AMGs. When they run they run like nothing else but when it rains it pours in regards to those cars. God Forbid the car runs out of warranty, the dealers don't want to see these cars. That is one of the reasons I wanted out of there.

I have seen that many times on this very forum and until the dealers realize this is a great medium to interact with owners on their terms the advancements in quality of service will be slow.

Using the DC market as an example there are 5 dealers within 50 miles of the city itself. One bad service experience and there is a high likilhood that you will never see the car or the customer again. I am a huge Infiniti fan and I actually believe in this product so if there is something I can do to help the local members and owners I will do what I can to assist. It is just the right thing to do, imo.

A quick update on LadyGs concern. Once this was brought the attention of the SA he called LadyG and she has an appointment first thing Monday morning. I will personally go get her car and bring a loaner to her because I feel she was wronged and I owe her that.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

SteveTheTech wrote:In my days working at MB I remember some very interesting problems with the AMGs. When they run they run like nothing else but when it rains it pours in regards to those cars. God Forbid the car runs out of warranty, the dealers don't want to see these cars. That is one of the reasons I wanted out of there.

I have seen that many times on this very forum and until the dealers realize this is a great medium to interact with owners on their terms the advancements in quality of service will be slow.

Using the DC market as an example there are 5 dealers within 50 miles of the city itself. One bad service experience and there is a high likilhood that you will never see the car or the customer again. I am a huge Infiniti fan and I actually believe in this product so if there is something I can do to help the local members and owners I will do what I can to assist. It is just the right thing to do, imo.

A quick update on LadyGs concern. Once this was brought the attention of the SA he called LadyG and she has an appointment first thing Monday morning. I will personally go get her car and bring a loaner to her because I feel she was wronged and I owe her that.
I got the Infiniti in part b/c Coleman is about 2 miles from my house. No complaints so far. But it's nice to have options! My AMG was, luckily, nowhere near as complicated and customized as some of the newer stuff. Although I do lust over the C63.

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

If you ever have an issue with them bring it on my way. Although I cannot compete with the distance. That is actually why I work where I do since it's <2 miles from my house. In this area that is a huge pro.

I personally like the C63 but I'm not really into the new platform design. If I were to get an MB it would have to be one of the big boys. I have been in love with the SL65 not the 6.3 I want the one that sounds like a fighter plane on startup. Or the top heavy G wagon with an overkill drivetrain. I do like their idea of 700+lbs or torque in every car they offer. That just sounds fun. A little rich for my blood and the maintenance is comically painful.

bschurr

Poyzinous wrote:We're taking care of it...
Gabe & Steve - Kudos for getting this issue resolved and for your personal involvement to ensure complete customer satisfaction.

Clearly you are both professionals and it appears that you are taking all the necessary steps to resolve this problem and make sure it is not repeated.

I wish I lived in VA so you could service my vehicle too!

SteveTheTech
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-

Thank you for the kind words.

You are fortunate to have a number of the leading Infiniti dealers in the country in your area. Something in the water in New Jersey makes people want to buy Infinitis. lol.

Lady G

Steve picked up my car as promised. My issues have been resolved. Thank You, Steve! You are the MAN. If anyone else out there in G37 convertible land is having the same problem, please see the thread Steve posted titled "Window Fitment Issues".

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”