Window Issues Once again with my J

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
TexRodeo
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SR Special Edition Sedan
82k miles

Hi Group,

I had already once replaced a window regulator on my '93 J30 on the driver’s side and it seems like I am having a similar issue today on the passenger side. The window rolls down fine but when I go to roll it up the window doesn't move up and the motor just drones on. So would that be a window regulator, once again?

Honestly, it was a true nightmare to locate the one that I replaced on the driver's side. I was told by a local salvage yard that in Nissan/Infiniti's wisdom that there is not a corresponding Nissan window regulator for the J30. In fact, they even changed the window regulator 3 times during its 4 year run. The first type is from April '92 through September of '92. The second was from October '92 thru the 1996 model year, and yet again the 1997 J30 has its own window regulator. My particular J30 has a manufacture date of 12/92 which falls into the second type of window regulator.

I took the door-card off and raised the window and have left it alone until I get more information on this issue.

So Let me know what I should do further. :gotme

Thanks,

Larry

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

Welcome to the down side of Japan's wonderful world of "continuous product improvement!" The only thing worse is the SAAB practise of recompeting their suppliers every few weeks. You will find that a SAAB car built on Tuesday and one built on Thursday have very different components [and the joining bolts and connectors just might not fit in the SAAB that you were lucky enough to have bought.] Bolts and nuts for example; US SAE, British BTS, German metric, Japanese metric, British Wentworth [might have mis-spelled that one] thread but with extraordinary good luck, both male and female connectors had the same thread! Unless a shade tree mechanic "made it fit" by copious threadlock application. And maybe a little shrink fit tubing!

TexRodeo
82k miles

HAHAHA I hear that MikeRL411. Then again my J is nearly 23 years of age, I just keep it in perspective and realize that she's an old lady and crap happens, I can't honestly hold it against the car or the Japanese build quality. I think it has done well for a car of its vintage. I purchased the car in Mid-September of 2008 and really have not had to do anything much to it out of the ordinary, just normal wear and tear repairs and general maintenance. Such as, The Keyless Entry/Theft Control Boxes crapped out which was an easy repair thanks to this group. I just put brake pads on the front, The Tie-Rod Ends Were My fault on the right side by popping a curb. The Driver's Side window regulator crapped out a while back and now the passenger window. But really nothing that was an outrageous or out of the ordinary in repairs, besides the best part is that she is mine and paid for and I only have roughly about 139600 original miles on the 'ol clock and I would think she has much more life to give.

I even have the original Eggshell colored Infiniti floor mats with the Infiniti logos on them, that I keep clean as a pin. Also I have the complete Leatherette Portfolio with the Owner's Manual, Maintenance and Warranty books from when the car was originally purchased from the Atlantic Infiniti dealership in Jacksonville, FL including the salesman’s business card. And I even have the Factory Shop Book from the Left side of the Trunk. So I think this ‘ol girl had been pretty much babied for most of her lifetime, considering her age. Again, I think that she has done very well for me in the past nearly 8 years that I have owned the car.

TexRodeo
82k miles

Getting back to the subject at hand. My original question remains, could this issue be the Window regulator or The motor itself which employs plastic gears inside the Window Motor Unit, possibly missing some teeth, perhaps? I have taken the door card off of this door, which in this case is the passenger side front (RH Front). I have inspected the window regulator, the cable seems to be taught and intact, hence why I question the window regulator as the culprit this time. For Example, when the Driver's Side Window regulator failed, the had cable Snapped and broke and the window glass then fell into the bottom of the door. But this time the window seems to be behaving much differently. As I said, the window rolls down fine but when I roll it up in the normal manner, utilizing the switch, it fails to roll back up and the motor seems to drone on. Also, when that driver's side Window regulator failed, I had to use a small Pole to prop the window up, this is not the case this time as the window seems to stay up, when pulled up by hand.

Besides, the Window Motor is much easier to come by for a vehicle of this vintage and its far less expensive as the complete window regulator unit would be, even if I could or was fortunate enough to locate another replacement window regulator. I would sure hate to go through all the expense and headache in order to locate one for this J and that not be the issue at all.

Please Help me on this one folks, I am completely and totally stumped on this one. :gotme

Thanks,

Larry

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

if I remember right there were many posts here on how broken plastic teeth were causing issues here....Infiniti never sold those plastic parts, so replacing the motor was the only way to go....
I would try to replace the motor and see what happens, especially if visually the regulator unit seems to be in order.

TexRodeo
82k miles

fourdrinie,

I Think you're possibly right about the Window motor, Hey its worth a shot in any case. I didn't take the regulator out of the door as of yet, but I did reach inside the door and ran my fingers up and down the track of the window regulator, well what I could reach anyway, But As I said earlier, The cable did feel like It was taught and intact. So what else could it be but an issue with the window motor, Right? :confused:

Larry

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

Agreed

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”