Window Auto-Up Not Working, Ideas?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
jsm11482
Car: 2003 G35

Check out the video here (http://www.jsment.com/Misc/Window.avi) to see what I mean. When using the Auto-Up feature on my passenger side front window (either from the driver's or passenger's control), the window will go up and then back down 6 inches - always to the same position. Any idea on how I can fix this?

Thanks!

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

You need to reset the window.

Use a flathead screwdriver to pry off the aluminum trim on the interior door handle (the "oh s***" bar). Behind it, you'll find 2 screws. Remove them.

Inside the door opener handle (can't think of the correct name), you'll see a small plastic inlay. Use the flathead to remove that, then remove the screw behind it.

Get on the floor with the door open and look for little notches in the plastic door trim. Use the flathead to pry at those points, the door trim will eventually give way.

Once you've loosened the bottom, lift up on the trim and pull it off gently.

You'll need to also, disconnect the door light (small clip) and disconnect the window/lock door control switch (very large clip). Pop the switch out of the door trim and place it in the car.

Disconnect the door handle cable and the lock cable. One has a small sphere at the end of it, the other a small elbow.

You should now be able to remove the door trim entirely.

Get in the car, with the car key in the "on" position" and follow these steps:

2. With the door open, lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully closed.

• Do not use the Window auto-closing function

• Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully closed

3. Get inside the vehicle and close the door.

• You need to close the door so the Door Switch is fully depressed

4. Press and HOLD the Window Regulator Motor Reset Switch. While holding the Reset Switch, press DOWN and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully opened.

• Do not use the Window auto-opening function

• Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully opened

5. Release the Reset Switch. Then, lift UP and HOLD the Window Switch until the Window is fully closed.

• Do not use the Window auto-closing function

• Do not release the Switch before the Window is fully closed

6. Open the Door to release the Door Switch. The Window Glass should partially move down.

7. Re-install the Door Panel.

Notes:

Be sure to clip the door handle and lock cables back in place or they won't work correctly.

Also, if you have problems finding the reset button, it's behind a round sticker towards the middle of the door. It's surrounded by 3 golden screws.

jsm11482
Car: 2003 G35

Thanks for the very detailed instructions! I can't wait to try this - I'll let you know how it goes.

fatire_mtb
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT

I went through the same thing recently. After trying the reset instructions the problem still persisted. I took it in to be diagnosed and it turned out to be a problem with the window motor. Replaced the motor and voila - back to normal.

Best of luck and hopefully the reset procedure fixes the problem.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Don't pay for a window motor before first cleaning the carbon brushes. They are designed to wear slowly and sometimes cause premature motor "failure". A little cleaning can save a few hundred dollars.

John Stevenson
Car: Infiniti g35 2005
Infiniti fx35 2008

Just fixed same problem with my 2005 g35. Procedure went well except window kept bouncing down as before. I finally realized that you hold the reset button on motor for the first DOWN step but not on the final UP step. Whole process is surprisingly easy and could be done by most people with two screwdrivers in about 45 minutes, thanks to these excellent instructions. Not a messy job, and hard to go wrong. Saved me several hundred bucks I'm sure. They say new models can be reset without removing door panels.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Excellent

Welcome to NICO, BTW

speedemn
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37x

Before ripping door panels off do this:
Roll down window, roll up window all the way and then keep the button held up for 10 seconds after it stops. That should reset it. Would have to do it for each window.
Worked like a charm for me; found this fix on another thread in this forum.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”