diesel engine swap

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
pete pelfrey
Car: 1985 nissan 720

Can I bolt a1985 diesel four cylinder up to my 5 speed transmission that came stock in my 1986 720 four wheel drive with gas burning naps z

waynosworld

Welcome Pete, no you cannot, the NapZ engine has the starter on the passenger side, while the diesel engine has it on the drivers side, you will need the front case/front cover of the diesel transmission and the smaller front bearing to install on your napZ transmission, also the SD series diesel engine has the motor mounts slightly farther forward, and at a slightly different angle, so you have to make custom engine mounts.
You will also need to make a custom oil pan/oil pickup tube for the diesel engine if it is still an independent front suspension(stock).
pete pelfrey wrote:Can I bolt a1985 diesel four cylinder up to my 5 speed transmission that came stock in my 1986 720 four wheel drive with gas burning naps z

pete pelfrey

Thank you so much I almost bought a diesel engine for nothing

waynosworld

Your Welcome Pete. :)
It's really hard to put a SD22/25 diesel engine in a Datsun/Nissan 720 4X4, as we didn't get that option in the USA, but Australia did get a 4X4 Diesel version, I believe that Canada did to, but not very many of them.

pete pelfrey

Thanks again I still want to do it one day but for now i'll just rebuild my gas burner.still wondering if the diesel swap would be worth the effort. Are they pretty stout engines.and how is the mpg

waynosworld

They will run a long time if water and oil are kept in them, they don't really start that well in cold climates unless a block heater is used, and they are not that powerful, the SD22 has 61hp, good for around town, but on the hiway it is lacking, I have an SD25 with 71hp, on level ground I am fine, but when a steep hill comes up, I have to drop gears, and if it is a long steep hill, the EGT(exhaust gas temp) gets real hot, too hot to tell the truth.
If you can drive 55mph all day long on level ground with an SD22 engine, you likely will get 36mpg to 40mpg, I cannot drive 55mph, so I get about 29mpg going 70/80mph with my SD25 engine.
The SD series engines are not going to win a speed race, but they will pass most the fuel stations, and one must always carry extra fuel filters in the glove compartment.
If you do ever buy a Nissan SD22/25 diesel engine, you must get a transmission with it, the only vehicle to share that front transmission case pattern is the early Datsun roadster, but that transmission is not compatible/made for a truck, and the 5 speeds are really expensive, so expensive that roadster guys want the SD series diesel front case so they can put a Z car transmission in there roadster.
pete pelfrey wrote:Thanks again I still want to do it one day but for now i'll just rebuild my gas burner.still wondering if the diesel swap would be worth the effort. Are they pretty stout engines.and how is the mpg

pete pelfrey

Thanks again waynosworld I guess ill just build me a gas engine.mine is a fourwheel drive that very rarely goes off of the mountain but when I do I need to climb back up it lol.sothats pprobably not going to work for me.I do like the sound of 40 mpg.and I really dont ever get over fifty in this truck just need low end torque. Pretty much just a huntin truck.but it gets really cold here in the winter. Which is when I really need it.so I probably stick with gas.I just always wanted a small 4+4 with diesel

pete pelfrey

How do I add a photo.im new to the forum thing

waynosworld

pete pelfrey wrote:How do I add a photo.im new to the forum thing
You have to use a photo hosting site like Picasa or some other such site, then insert the IMG code here in the reply, or use the URL code and use the IMG box above the reply field.

Return to “Datsun 720”