will a 92 q45 engine install in a 90 without any modifications if so what are they

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
stewartdrums

I have a 90 model Q45 and I have a 92 engine that I am trying to install in my car. My car does not have traction control, four wheel steering, or full active suspension. I ran the vin number from the engine I have and it doesn't have traction control, four wheel steering, or full active suspension. So my question is, are there any modifications that will need to be done to install the engine. About 75% of the salvage yards I talk to say that their computer says that I will have to change the electrical wiring as needed. The other 25% say I don't have to do any modifications. So, I am lost because no one really seams to know the true answer. Is there any one out there that can help me and know the true answer. If I do have to change some electrical wiring what exactly do I have to change. If you have any answers please respond or email me at [email protected]

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

My understanding is that they are compatible. I believe in 1994 the connections change. Q45Tech will be able to back me up (or correct) me since they've done many, many engine swaps down at T3.

Be sure to replace the guides in your "new" engine before installing it... it'll save you a lot of headaches later!

Heath

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

While the donor engine is free: reseal the oil pan, valve covers, and replace the plenum hoses, ks sensors etc. replace front and rear main seals. New plugs, new water pump. Everthing that would be expensive to do with the engine in the car. OFF COURSE the chain guides and oil pump chain......while its easy examine the interior of oil pump and measure the clearances!

New motor mounts clean plenum spotlessly then you don't have to do much other than throttle body/injector cleaning for 60k.

This extra day or two of work is what makes the exchange worth while......assuming that the 92 Q engine is lower miles and better maintained etc.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”