Wiggle shift lever or move to neutral to start

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
RickLDZ
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa

2011 Nissan Versa. Automatic transmission. I have to wiggle the shifter lever to engage the starter. Sometimes I have to pull it down to neutral and then it starts right up. Hoping this is a DIY fix with a switch or solenoid. Any thoughts?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There are two things on an '11 which could cause that, the tranny Range Switch and the detente switch in the shifter. Put a test lamp on the Blue wire at pin 2 of the Range Switch, it should have 12V with the car in Park. If it doesn't, try adjusting the shift cable before assuming the switch is bad. If that isn't it, then the BCM may think the shifter button is pressed. That's how it tells the car is in Park. I think those are standard microswitches on an '11 that you can get from Mouser or Digi-Key, but don't hold me to that.

RickLDZ
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:33 pm
There are two things on an '11 which could cause that, the tranny Range Switch and the detente switch in the shifter. Put a test lamp on the Blue wire at pin 2 of the Range Switch, it should have 12V with the car in Park. If it doesn't, try adjusting the shift cable before assuming the switch is bad. If that isn't it, then the BCM may think the shifter button is pressed. That's how it tells the car is in Park. I think those are standard microswitches on an '11 that you can get from Mouser or Digi-Key, but don't hold me to that.
Could it be the Shift Cable Bushing? Just wondering if I should order the kit before I remove the console.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Sure, anything that might cause the cable to not position the Range Switch correctly can cause a no-crank. The signal on the Blue wire will tell you if that's the problem, it has to have 12V for the starter to turn. That wire powers the starter relay in the IPDM, so no power = no crank.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”