Wifi/hardware guru's...trying to hook up my 360 in my dorm

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Loki
Car: 1994 Nissan 240SX Convertible
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Alright, so I have my PC and Xbox hooked up in my dorm, but I don't have the Xbox hooked up to the internet yet. I only have one ethernet port available to me, so is there an ethernet PCI card I could install in my PC that I could connect my Xbox to and connect to the internet? I would think any plain old ethernet card would work as long as I configure it correctly in my network.

Also, I really want to be able to broadcast Wifi from my desktop without the use of a wireless router, so that my phone and ipod can connect to the internet in my room. Is this possible with a wireless PCI adapter card, or simply undo-able without a wireless router?

RCA

Tune to 20:32, maybe this helps.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7nr1FfAoc#t=20m30s[/youtube]

I would plug in a router or a switch and get it done that way.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

As far as getting your Xbox hooked up to the net you could install a second ethernet card and enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). It easy to set up, just be aware you may have to troubleshoot a IP conflict. I've got my buddy setup with ICS his PC connects to the WiFi network then the Xbox is hooked to the ethernet port and accesses the internet thru the PC wireless and ICS.

As far as making your computer a wireless access point, I am not sure.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Easiest thing to do really is buy a wireless router...

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

marlin29311 wrote:Easiest thing to do really is buy a wireless router...
No dorm I've lived in or visited has allowed you to hook up a wireless router. In fact it's enforced under the penalty of removing the ethernet port from your room altogether at OU. I'm pretty sure Cal Poly Pomona does this too so that's actually a last ditch idea.

@Loki Look up articles on bridging in Halo 2 on the original Xbox. If you have Windows XP they should give you a step by step tutorial on setting up Internet Connection Sharing. Once you figure it out it works perfectly. There's just the figuring it out part...

RCA

Even if you set it up so it doesn't broadcast the SSID?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

There might be some voodoo wizardry that can be used to find out even if you turn off SSID broadcast but most people were caught by WiFi sniffing or simply seeing the router.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

eh, I got away with it all through college...I cloned the MAC address to the router from my laptop, and then just turned off the broadcast...no one but me used it, and it made life nice and simple for me. our IT department wasn't exactly the smartest of the bunch, so I never had an issue.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'd say the best option would be to use a switch with the router to effectively add more ports. You could try futzing around with Windows' Internet Connection Sharing, but that's just tedious. If you add a switch you'll have free ports if you need to add more devices, too.

Another bonus of the switch can be reduction in cables strung everywhere. If not all your devices are right next to the router, you can use the switch to add ports nearer those devices and end up with only one cable strung across the dorm instead of many.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Another bonus of the switch
LANs!!

Return to “Computers / Electronics”