Why you don't drive like a complete idiot at a track, ATTN Drifters.

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
0wn3r
Car: 1997 Nissan 240sx SE track car (SR20DET, caged)

nismofly wrote:same thing, different wording, dont have a hissy fit

i basically said everything Alan said, he just went into more detail, and mentioned "the line," which i wouldve thought youd known already since youre so good

like i said, come run pocono this summer, i think youll be surprised
1. not the same thing at all.

2. i never said i was good at all... if i did, quote my post

3. as i would have mentioned in #3, i probably will be surprised at the amount of pusses there. i wouldn't take my car to a track until i had a car worth taking to a track.

skylndrftr
Car: 07 Versa S / 2010 Ariel Atom (pending...)

0wn3r wrote:
thanks. btw, everyone else's response was such a big joke.

umm wtf? how is following behind someone, slower than your car can obviously, go considered "independently pushing the limits of your car"?

so if you break out some hyundai elantra out there that's going 15mph, and you have to follow him... boy, talk about pushing your limits!!! yay!!
Being that you quoted me I'll try to reply in a way you understand.

Nothing I said was a 'joke' I actually am involved with this. As it is we have enough problems with crazy idiots even with the rules. This is somethign that can get you killed very easily. Drivers ed in this country is a joke and leaves kids with a feelign of entitlement, invincibility, and knowitallism. We try to fix that before they hurt themselves or worse yet someone else. You don't just show up at the track with a drivers license and go fight for a national title. This takes practice. The last thing we need is a person on the track who thinks 'my car is faster gtfo of my way'. The purpose of these types of days are learning not racing. no matter what you hear rubbing isn't racing in almost all amatuer series. They don't have sponsors to fix crumpled panels.

The actual rules:groups are arranged into skill levels. NASA usually runs HPDE1-HPDE4

HPDE1 is where you start. it has very tight rules on behavoir and passing. However even at this most basic passign is allowed in certain safe areas of the track. The point is to learn high performance driving not racecraft yet. there is always an instructor with you in the car in this group.

HPDE2 is where you start to learn how to really drive. the passing rules are looser but still there. by this point its assumed you know how to follow the flags and signaling of courseworkers. and how to get your car around the track. you begin to pick up more speed and come to grips with the capabilities of your vehicle. usually in HPDE1 you have a lot of people who are 5 or more seconds slower than the car is capable of. in HPDE you will solo in the car often times with your instructor in a lead chase scenario.

HPDE3...basically its learning race craft this is the step when you are going to graduate from this to race licensing test/school. Still has passing rules. Its not a race its still a learning experience.

HPDE4 open session. This is where the instructors go to play in exchange for teaching you nuts the rest of the weekend. THERE ARE STILL PASSING RULES IN THIS SET. but they work on the assumption that your going to be safe and not endanger other drivers.

from the FATT website i pulled their passing rules:Quote ». Passing Rules a. If you are impeding another car, help him pass you with passing signal. b. If you are being impeded, make a pit stop and separate yourself from that car then return to the track. c. The car being passed must: 1. Signal the car behind him with a clearly visible arm signal outside the window. Car being passed stays on line. 2. Maintain position and stay on the line. 3. Ease up on the gas pedal to help the pass be completed before the braking zone. d. The passing car should: 1. Wait for a passing signal. 2. Pass in the passing zones between the cones on the straightaways from Turn 10 to Turn 1, Turn 2 to Turn 3, Turn 9 to Turn 10. 3. Acknowledge the driver of the overtaken car. e. When a driver indicates a pass, one car may pass for each signal. [/quote]if your interested the link below is directly from NASAhttp://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.htmlits their writeup of their own rules which may or may not be more helpful to you than my explanation. as it says at the top of thatTHERE IS NO SPEED LIMIT

sorry for the novel I just wanted to explain it a little bit

PS I started doing this before I had a car. I would take my mothers four door stock accord out and pass a lot of people who made comments like your making while they were driving much faster cars.

0wn3r

i wasn't trying to single anyone out, it just seemed like everyone was shouting the same thing, but that other dude was patient and clarified it and you just went into extra detail

and also to clarify, i was playing devil's advocate. i never exactly said i would drive for the sole purpose of endangering others.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

0wn3r wrote:i wasn't trying to single anyone out, it just seemed like everyone was shouting the same thing, but that other dude was patient and clarified it and you just went into extra detail

and also to clarify, i was playing devil's advocate. i never exactly said i would drive for the sole purpose of endangering others.
Devil's advocate really has no place on the track. You have to learn to be overly cautious for safety of both yourself and others. There is zero room for playing around. Don't think because it's safety oriented that you can't have fun. It's when you are with a safe group that you have the most fun because you don't have to watch for Mario Andretti trying to squeeze in every time you leave an inch. When that does happen to you, which it will eventually, you will be nothing but pissed.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

yeah, until you pit in and report him and he gets kicked out and his NASA membership revoked...i wouldnt know anyone who did that to a hot shot in his ferrari though

the other thing you have to remember, i know you were probably being sarcastic, but *nobody* is going to be driving 30 mph or going slow like that, because to an extent theyre just as much of a hazard as your hot shots

also, nobody has to be there, they all chose to be there, so obviously theyre going to be pushing it just as much as you are

and what you said about your car being track worthy, as long as your brakes and tires are going to hold up, youre fine

its actually better to start in a slower, closer to stock car, because 1) it forces you to become a better driver to lower your times, and 2) if you get into racing youll be starting in cars that arent all that much faster than stock anyway

the offer still stands to run pocono this summer, i still say your expectations are way off, but you may not see that until you do come run a day or 2

0wn3r

true true

and by devil's advocate, the meaning is applied for arguments... not race tracks, heh

skylndrftr

go work a corner for a weekend and you'll see what kind of idiots show up even with the rules as they are

EDIT: I just realized that could be taken really wrong. I mean as a marshal working a flag station

Nismo_Freak

skylndrftr wrote:I mean as a marshal working a flag station
Surrrre buddy, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem

nismofly

its a good thing youre on a car forum or youd never live that down

heck you still might not, even though we do understand

skylndrftr

nismofly wrote:its a good thing youre on a car forum or youd never live that down

heck you still might not, even though we do understand

thank god this forum is not heavily trafficed quite yet

0wn3r

yea lucky for you it's just like 30,000 members for now...

i guess i'll take that as a compliment that you want me to work as a prostitute..? lmao

skylndrftr

yes own3r thats it exactly i want to pimp you and your rubbin and racin all over this town

ps i meant this subforum not NICO as a whole

I still watch that video about once a day and laugh at what a tool the guy is

fullthrtl_tech
Car: 93 240sx

im down for pocono if you are going. I ahve no problem driving to PA. Please let me know. Also what classes are open for 240's

nismofly

dude you could come run watkins glen and lime rock with me too

i just threw up pocono cause its closest to him

ill let you know when im going, and i can give you more info on aim

fullthrtl_tech
Car: 93 240sx

sounds like a plan. I get my new coupe in june. Immaculate rust free work of s13 art

nismofly

sounds like my car...cant wait to get home

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

owner, you have obviously NEVER been to a track event for

1) you act like you will be all fast, when you will be the one getting in the way of the fast people.

2) You really do not get held up at track events, they usually throw u with people on your same skill level.

Maybe you need to hit the track and get taught a few lessons rather then be a keyboard warrior.

0wn3r

TrueSlide wrote:owner, you have obviously NEVER been to a track event for

1) you act like you will be all fast, when you will be the one getting in the way of the fast people.

2) You really do not get held up at track events, they usually throw u with people on your same skill level.

Maybe you need to hit the track and get taught a few lessons rather then be a keyboard warrior.
maybe you just need to read the rest of the thread before you try to be an internet hero

TrueSlide
Car: Stuff

0wn3r wrote:
maybe you just need to read the rest of the thread before you try to be an internet hero
i couldnt stand reading anymore about your stupidity torwards track days.

skylndrftr

everytime I see someone trying to be an internet hero I think about the incrdibles and imagine that given a choice our hero's costume would probably include a cape

orbovi

sidenote

owner where are you from in york?

0wn3r

orbovi wrote:sidenote

owner where are you from in york?
Well, I'm not actually "from" York. I just go to YCP. I live near Queen St. I'll be graduating soon and getting out of here tho.

y? lol

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

That video is a few years old. Female driver, some relation to the track owner (can't remember), not in USA, and had a wheel failure (or tire failure). Passing was allowed anywhere.

0wn3r

Dori Dori wrote:That video is a few years old. Female driver, some relation to the track owner (can't remember), not in USA, and had a wheel failure (or tire failure). Passing was allowed anywhere.
me and Dori FTW

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

I didn't read the entire argument nor do I care to so I'm not taking sides. I'm just giving you guys something to think about.

I like how Chinmotorsports hadles passing...the guy getting passed is supposed to signal to the car trying to pass. This ensures both drivers are aware and the passing is generally safer. Hot shots and stubborn bastards (that don't want to get passed and refuse to let others by) get black flagged.

Joe

Dori Dori wrote:I didn't read the entire argument nor do I care to so I'm not taking sides. I'm just giving you guys something to think about.

I like how Chinmotorsports hadles passing...the guy getting passed is supposed to signal to the car trying to pass. This ensures both drivers are aware and the passing is generally safer. Hot shots and stubborn bastards (that don't want to get passed and refuse to let others by) get black flagged.
thats generally how its done all over in the lower HPDE groups with all organizations. once you start moving up to lets say DE 3 or 4 point by's are "suggested" but you wont be black flagged if you dont.

orbovi

i grew up there haha

Nismo_Freak

Dori Dori wrote:That video is a few years old. Female driver, some relation to the track owner (can't remember), not in USA, and had a wheel failure (or tire failure). Passing was allowed anywhere.
Then the track owner is an idiot as well.

swwifty

Nismo_Freak wrote:
Then the track owner is an idiot as well.
+43413

skylndrftr

Not sure I beileve that. From an insurance standpoint you either have a timed race or a controlled teaching enviroment. You can't be somewhere in between and not have your insurance cancelled. Its why no timing devices are allowed in HPDE

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”