why no duratec/mzr swaps?

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
cricha5
Car: 1997 BMW M3

Why hasn't anyone tried this motor. I know it's not a v-8, but it's a really nice, really light, really mass produced, really versatile engine with very good aftermarket support and racing pedigree. It's the new formula atlantic engine and a cosworth darling. Caterhams are using them too. They can be found in rwd configurations and mate up to the ever available t-5 transmission. I can't see why if someone is thinking of modernizing their motor that this wouldn't be the ideal choice.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

Do it and tell us how it works out.

cricha5

fine. I will. you'll see. you'll all see!

I just thought someone would have done it by now.

Any advice on the exhaust? The intake and exhaust are reversed from the ka. I assume I'll have to reroute the fuel line. Otherwise I don't see much major trouble with it.

maik21
Car: 240sx Coupe 5.0 90

first step is getting that engine and then doing a test fit. u will be able to see those number of custom parts u will need to make.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

cricha5 wrote:fine. I will. you'll see. you'll all see!

I just thought someone would have done it by now.

Any advice on the exhaust? The intake and exhaust are reversed from the ka. I assume I'll have to reroute the fuel line. Otherwise I don't see much major trouble with it.
Might not be necessary, but definitely recommended (I moved the fuel on my LS1 swap to avoid the exhaust). You're right, other than that, I doubt you'll find too many major hurdles as there should be plenty of room. As far as the exhaust, I would just route it back to the other side and mate it up to any nice aftermarket S13/S14 catback exhaust.

cricha5

Thanks. I thought routing it back over to the stock would be the most convenient thing to do as well. I guess I'll decide on the fuel line when I see how close it is to the header.

Kalypso

it looks like a sr20de...

why go through the trouble, whats the benefit?

cricha5

Extremely widely available with cheap parts and current support in the U.S.Light as heck.Relatively simple compared to all other engines with exception of the 4age.Eco friendly Reliable since the engines are low mileage.Takes very well to modifications.

And mostly, I can't see why not. If I'm going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, then why not this one. It's perfect for the car in my opinion. Also, I'm a n/a guy. Turbos add too much complexity for me. Plus I've yet to see a sr swap that works properly. I'm sure there are, but I just haven't seen one in person, so don't hate.

The other option would be the lsx swap, but that's expensive and I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible.

RCA

cricha5 wrote:Extremely widely available with cheap parts and current support in the U.S.Light as heck.Relatively simple compared to all other engines with exception of the 4age.Eco friendly Reliable since the engines are low mileage.Takes very well to modifications.

And mostly, I can't see why not. If I'm going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, then why not this one. It's perfect for the car in my opinion. Also, I'm a n/a guy. Turbos add too much complexity for me. Plus I've yet to see a sr swap that works properly. I'm sure there are, but I just haven't seen one in person, so don't hate.

The other option would be the lsx swap, but that's expensive and I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible.
it sounds like a sr20de to.Things in BOLD are pros for both engines.

1) If I'm going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, then why not this one. Because it isnt as easy as an SR20 swap

2) Also, I'm a n/a guy. Turbos add too much complexity for me. If this is your logic then get the best 4cyl N/A motor you can stuff into a 240...K24DE Block + K20 Head or a F20c/F22c

3) trying to keep things as cheap as possible.Why are you modifying cars?

cricha5

rcabrita wrote:it sounds like a sr20de to.Things in BOLD are pros for both engines.

1) If I'm going to go through the trouble of an engine swap, then why not this one. Because it isnt as easy as an SR20 swap

2) Also, I'm a n/a guy. Turbos add too much complexity for me. If this is your logic then get the best 4cyl N/A motor you can stuff into a 240...K24DE Block + K20 Head or a F20c/F22c

3) trying to keep things as cheap as possible.Why are you modifying cars?
1) Yes, the sr20 is aluminum, but the sr20 is a more complex engine, just look at two pics with the valve covers off. I may be wrong, but I think most sr20's still have distributors as well. And from the 10 minutes of searching I did, they aren't any cheaper. And they're getting older.

2) VTEC? I'm not messing with vtec. Even though I hear they are bulletproof, I want to be able to change my own cam profile.

3) I don't follow? Are you saying moding cars is only for the rich, or that it's only fun if you spend a lot of money?

I just sold my M3, so I'm looking for a donor car now. I figure I might as well get an automatic since they're going for much less than the manuals. I can pick up some pedals and a master cylinder at the junk yard.

RCA

cricha5 wrote:1) Yes, the sr20 is aluminum, but the sr20 is a more complex engine, just look at two pics with the valve covers off. I may be wrong, but I think most sr20's still have distributors as well. And from the 10 minutes of searching I did, they aren't any cheaper. And they're getting older.

2) VTEC? I'm not messing with vtec. Even though I hear they are bulletproof, I want to be able to change my own cam profile.

3) I don't follow? Are you saying moding cars is only for the rich, or that it's only fun if you spend a lot of money?

I just sold my M3, so I'm looking for a donor car now. I figure I might as well get an automatic since they're going for much less than the manuals. I can pick up some pedals and a master cylinder at the junk yard.
2) How would you go about doing that?

3) Moddifying a car cheaply only leads to problems.Never modifly cheaply, moddify what you can afford.

Dont moddify a 350Z when you only have Honda Civic money.

cricha5

2) i don't think you do swap cams with a vtec. All it's wizardry does it for you dynamically.

3) new car > $15k and much, much more with any performance240sx <= $2kalmost new engine and tranny less than $1.5kcustom driveshaft $300minor exhaust $200mounts $200megasquirt $200clutch, hoses, fluid, etc ??

About $5k for a mostly new engine in a light body. Maybe $6k for unforeseen needs.

Add another $1k for bushings and suspension if needed and we have a mechanically new car for $7k. Which is how much I sold my old M3 for. Just fixing the M3 costs tons of money, not to mention moding it. After the swap I would have a cheaply fixable, cheaply modifiable, reliable for years, fun as heck, car that's easy on the gas to boot.

But please continue to question. It helps. for example, I've thought that it would cost about that much, but I never wrote it down before.

Can anyone see if I've grossly underestimated anything?

And if anyone has a problem or questions why I got rid of the M3 to get something less than, listen. The parts, even the small parts, were draining me dry. I budget for car parts, I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, but good lord, I could barely keep the M3 in tires. Besides the money, I attended my first autocross in a bone stock 97 mustang gt this past weekend. Fun as heck, but also so humbling. I have no business in an M3. I need something that I can improve as my driving skills improve.

RCA

cricha5 wrote:2) i don't think you do swap cams with a vtec. All it's wizardry does it for you dynamically.

3) new car > $15k and much, much more with any performance240sx <= $2kalmost new engine and tranny less than $1.5kcustom driveshaft $300minor exhaust $200mounts $200megasquirt $200clutch, hoses, fluid, etc ??

About $5k for a mostly new engine in a light body. Maybe $6k for unforeseen needs.

Add another $1k for bushings and suspension if needed and we have a mechanically new car for $7k. Which is how much I sold my old M3 for. Just fixing the M3 costs tons of money, not to mention moding it. After the swap I would have a cheaply fixable, cheaply modifiable, reliable for years, fun as heck, car that's easy on the gas to boot.

But please continue to question. It helps. for example, I've thought that it would cost about that much, but I never wrote it down before.

Can anyone see if I've grossly underestimated anything?

And if anyone has a problem or questions why I got rid of the M3 to get something less than, listen. The parts, even the small parts, were draining me dry. I budget for car parts, I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, but good lord, I could barely keep the M3 in tires. Besides the money, I attended my first autocross in a bone stock 97 mustang gt this past weekend. Fun as heck, but also so humbling. I have no business in an M3. I need something that I can improve as my driving skills improve.
You most certainly can swap cams with a vtec engine.Search online "How Vtec works"I will help you understand it more.

As for the swap I hope you start a build thread because I want to see this. It isnt the best thing to do to a 240 but who cares it will be cool and that is all that matters.

a) it fitsb) check the gearing of the transmission you are using against the stock 240's final drive gearc) start working on designing the mounts for the car and transd) Trans shift linkage: Make sure it lines up and is useablee) drive shaft will be customf) wireing will be your biggest hurddle.

Best of luck!

240cp
Car: 95 240sx

Are you saying that a honda head will fit on a nissan engine?

cricha5

no, he's not saying that. there is some similar labeling between some of the honda and nissan engines. Do a search for "K24 Block On K20 Head" and you'll see.

RCA

cricha5 wrote:no, he's not saying that. there is some similar labeling between some of the honda and nissan engines. Do a search for "K24 Block On K20 Head" and you'll see.
240cp wrote:Are you saying that a honda head will fit on a nissan engine?
Well I was making a suggestions based on cricha's love for the N/A motor.I basicly told him to swap the best 4 cylinder engine in his 240.Either a F20c/F22c or a K24 block using a K20 head. Both K20 and K24s are Honda engines.

KA24 is a Nissan engine.I appologize for useing the DE at the end of K24"DE", the Honda engine is accually denoted as K24a1 and not K24DE so sorry for the typo

Team kaotik
Car: 300zxtt X 3,300zx NA X 1, 240sx X 2, mr2 x 1

Just out of curiosity why would want to put a honda motor in a nissan with so many nissan/toyota engine at your disposal. Not to mention most of the nissan/toyota engines are cheaper than HONDA. Paying 5k-6k for a k20a2 seems rediculous to me especially for 210 or so crank hp at like 8k rpms. I dont get it. I plan on doing the opposite use what HONDA does best make small/light platforms and put Nissan power in it. I plan on using the CRX as a plat form havent settled on a engine yet but leaning towards 3sgte 2nd or 3rd gen or sr20 fwd or depending on budget make it rwd. Dont take anything I said personally I dont mean to offend just curious.[IMG][/IMG]
Modified by Team kaotik at 6:27 PM 12/12/2008

cricha5

I assumed you weren't speaking to me, which is why I've taken so long to answer. In case you are, the answer is that no, I don't want to put a honda motor in it for the reasons you say. I want to put a ford/mazda duratec/mzr engine in for all the reasons above. I'm not just looking for more power. If I just wanted power, I agree, there are better options. My priorities in a simplified order are, simplicity (and ease of maintenance), weight, availability of parts(oem and aftermarket), price (kinda goes with availability), power, future prospects, ease of installation.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Another option that is seldom considered is the Atlas series from GM. They go from 2.8 I4's to 4.2 I6's with a stump pulling 275lbs at 2800rpm. One single turbo and a few lbs of boost will net an eay 400whp and make an S Chassis almost undriveable without huge tires

WD

cricha5

And they were able to get rid of EGR by using VVT. Interesting.

DJ Raijin
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+0 T Top NA

Team kaotik wrote:Just out of curiosity why would want to put a honda motor in a nissan with so many nissan/toyota engine at your disposal. Not to mention most of the nissan/toyota engines are cheaper than HONDA.Modified by Team kaotik at 6:27 PM 12/12/2008
I met a guy who has a CRX that runs 8s in the 1/4 mile. He uses a 4g63t. He said just about everything mates up (its been a while since I met this fellow) and that the only problem with it is that it eats axles like no tomorrow, since it uses the single cam axles.

sorry for the hijacking.

40flash
Car: 240sx 95 S14 VQ

The Duratech sounds interesting to me. I like you am not a turbo guy. Too much junk to go wrong. How much power does a stock one make? Has it been sold in the states in a production RWD car? WHere does one source these motors and a trans that bolts up? I really like the Idea of a modern motor in the 240.

Return to “Hybrids”