Why does my 95 Quest randomly stall out?

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
jdavidstoll
Car: 1995 Nissan Quest GXE

We have a 1995 Quest GXE that randomly stalls out and leaves us sitting. When this happens the engine dies, then sputters when we try to start it and a humming or groaning noise comes from the somewhere in the vicinity of the fuel tank. After a while it will decide to start and will run fine. This has happened several times but has become more frequent lately. Is it any wonder we have affectionately nick-named it the Van from Hell. Anyone shed any light on the problem? Fuel pump maybe?

jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Welcome to NICO!

It does sound like there's an issue with the fuel pump. Does this happen when you're driving, stopped, or what? Let's get some more details and see if we can't get this problem fixed.

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

A fuel pump in may be, however, I have seen almost the same scenario in an older vehicle i was working a year or so ago and it actually turned out to be trash (i.e. rust) in the tank clogging the strainer. The humming leads me to believe the pump is running, and if there is nothing for it to push (fuel) the humming will get louder.

jdavidstoll

It usually happens after it's been running a while. Never happens on start up. Is it possible for a tank to not vent properly and get air-locked? It always seems to suck air when this happens and I open the gas cap. Legitimate theory or no?

basskronick
Car: I drive a pontiac, and i love it, but i have nissan in my heart, I'm also the owner of a first gen q

Vapor lock used to be a high occurring problem with older vehicles, but with all of the advances in vacuum and vent systems dealing with the fuel delivery system, it's almost impossible.

jdavidstoll

Thanks. I think the trash in the tank sounds like the right path why wouldn't that prevent it from running at all? One other thing is (I think) it doesn't happen when that tank is full but mostly when it's less than half a tank. Could it be when the tank is not as full the trash becomes more concentrated thus more inclined to clog the filter? Just guessing. You're the experts!

basskronick

That actually sounds like the most logical reason. The vehicle i had problems with only acted up when the tank was low. And to answer the question about not starting at all, if the rust is blocking the "sock" filter or strainer, no gas will go through the pump, thus, no gas gets to the engine. Good luck with it, and let me know how it goes.

Return to “Quest Forum”