Why did you buy your Versa?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Another survey from Txchamps….

To the end of September, Nissan Versa sales are up 20% over last year, and up 37% in September of ‘14 over September of last year. This places it 32nd in total unit sales for the year to date, just behind the Prius. All this despite it getting generally panned by the critics year after year.

I am curious as to what your reasons were for choosing Versa.

If you wish to respond, please include your MY, trim, tranny type (CVT, AT, or Manual).

Rank at least 3 of the reasons for your decision (for example, price, styling, MPG, chicks dig guys who drive Versas, :chuckle: or whatever).

What other cars did you consider?

Also, if you can remember, list the most important research sources, if any, you used in making your decision.

Any notes or other info is welcome.

I will start:

2014 Versa Note S hatch, Manual 5 speed

Top decision-making factors:
Price
MPG
Engine design (chain driven)
Hatchback
Features (No electrical doors, windows, etc. -- believe it or not, it is what we wanted)
Passenger space
Nissan reputation
Styling

Other cars considered:
Honda Fit
Kia Rio5
Hyundai Accent hatch
Kia Forte hatch
Kia Soul
Mazda3
Mazda2
Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe

Research sources:
NHTSA
Edmunds user reviews
Various “professional” review sites
This forum
the “other” Nissan forum
Other non-Nissan forums
The 4 dealers in town
Other owners that I knew
Various other user review sites
Discount Tires
Mechanics that I personally knew -- drove them crazy with all my questions
Auto repair sites with “cost of ownership” estimates
Actual car rentals, and car rental sites

I tended to like the car more and more as the “professional” critics became more and more negative, while the users became more and more positive. Those that owned ‘em liked ‘em, despite what the Car and Driver/Edmunds/JDPower et al crowd had to say.

MrWiggles
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Note S 5 Speed

2014 Nissan Versa Note S 5 Speed

The main reason why I went with this car was that Nissan was the only one willing to play ball with my crummy credit score. I originally wanted a Ford Fiesta, but Ford wouldn't even talk to me. Same with Honda. The salesman called me a day later and said he thought he had a car that would work out and I would enjoy. Being that it was a 5 speed, I knew already I was going to sign. Since I bought the car I have really enjoyed the little Note. I have nothing electric except the side mirrors so nothing can go wrong. The 5 Speed isn't the best I have used, but it's an easy stick to learn on and does just fine for my travels. Chain driven motor so no worries on replacing that anytime soon. NIssan adding free oil changes for life was a nice touch to me. 30 minutes and bam I'm out. Can't complain about that. All in all, it isn't the best car in the world, but the back seat has a ton of room, easy to drive and very little to go wrong. I plan on driving this Note until it dies. For my first new car purchase, I'm very happy and hope it lasts me a long time.

txchamps
Car: 2015 Versa Note SV, 2023 Kia Rio S

Congrats on your first new car!

I agree -- not the best 5-speed I've ever driven. Shift gates are a little balky, and the clutch was not easy to modulate at first, but I got used to it. First car I've driven with a hydraulic clutch. 1st gear ratio seems a bit high, and 3rd gear is whiny. But smooth shifting above that.

Overall ride is smooth and quiet -- very much so for a small car. Love the MPG.

Hmmm, I didn't get free oil changes for life from MY dealer.

Happy driving!

MrWiggles
Car: 2014 Nissan Versa Note S 5 Speed

txchamps wrote:Congrats on your first new car!

I agree -- not the best 5-speed I've ever driven. Shift gates are a little balky, and the clutch was not easy to modulate at first, but I got used to it. First car I've driven with a hydraulic clutch. 1st gear ratio seems a bit high, and 3rd gear is whiny. But smooth shifting above that.

Overall ride is smooth and quiet -- very much so for a small car. Love the MPG.

Hmmm, I didn't get free oil changes for life from MY dealer.

Happy driving!

The oil changes must be a regional thing. From what I hear most people by me in NJ get it with most cars they buy new. I agree with the 1st gear as well. When I first was learning how to drive stick I would tend to ride out first gear for a bit too long. Now with practice I'm finding myself shifting a lot sooner and not having any problems.

Return to “Versa General Chat”