Why did you buy a Nissan?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
SJRogue
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV

I'll start. About 6 years ago I bought a 2003 Pathfinder that was an absolute BEAST!! It got me through the worst winter we had in eastern Canada in years and never once let me down. It was great for light off road trips and felt comfortable in the city and on the highway. The only bad thing I have to say about it was the gas gauge never worked so I was filling up once I hit usually 400-500kms. All that said I was convinced by my better half to sell it and buy a smaller car. Ended up with a 14 Focus and if any of you know about their dual clutch transmissions you know the headaches I've had. I still regret getting rid of my old Nissan and had my heart set on buying another one for quite some time. Last week I finally traded in the Focus for a 17 Rogue SV. We have a storm coming through the east coast this coming week and I drive about an hour along the coast from Saint John to Saint Stephen every day for work. Looking forward to see how it handles in a New Brunswick winter. What's your story?

eds13
Car: 89 240sx Hatch, 07 Armada LE, 06 M35x, 97 C35 Laurel, 94 JDM Q45

Because they're the best cars ever? lol

I bought my first 240sx because it was $500 and I loved the look of the pop-ups. I still know where my first one is sitting/rotting too... :cry:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I was always a Chevy/Pontiac guy in prehistory, and by 18 I was pretty good with speed work on SBC's and big block Pontiacs. I even got pretty good with suspensions and actually making some of those H-frame beasties handle. Then in 1974 I met a girl with a puke-green Datsun B210 (yes, it was still a Datsun) who ran timed road rallies. She was fun and so was the car, even with pushrods. By the time we parted ways two years later, the car was a genuine Q-ship. Transplant 510 OHC engine and trans with a Garrett turbo, independent rear scarfed from a crashed 240Z and cut down to size, gas shocks and custom sway bars. In a word, it would give my tri-power Goat an honest run for the money and blow it away at the first corner. When a job appeared at a local Nissan dealer some years later, I took it. Later I took 22 years off to do engineering, eventually designing some agricultural widgets that were a lot like ECM's. How I got back to spinning a wrench is a long and somewhat sorry story, but I never did lose that love affair with Nissans. Still haven't!

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

One would call me a Carlos Ghosn era Nissan hater. Another would call me the male version of a Karen. But I cannot dictate my parents from making the mistake of buying 3 Nissans in a row. The latest one is a total POS. Makes me wish our older two Nissans weren't totaled. Our 2016 Rogue by far is one of the cheapest econoboxes we ever owned. Not sure what made the 2016 MY of the Rogue so reliable and good, but with the amount of abuse that vehicle took for ~55k miles from me, I am surprised nothing broke in it since when we first bought it till it was wrecked. Our 2018 Kicks was of course made cheaply in Mexico, so we all know how that quality control is (or lack thereof). Ended up getting totaled within 7 months of ownership and caused my father to get hairline thiccc cracks in his bones.

I would still get another 2016 Rogue if I wasn't bored to death by driving mine for 1000 miles a week for the past 3 years.

Jesda

idk, self loathing? :chuckle:

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Why did I buy my Nissan? It was the car that closest fit what I wanted at the time. The year was 2003. I wanted a new fun car with which to do track days plus keep up with my best friend's modified Audi. There were many choices. The 350Z was a traditional RWD manual sports car that could have the nannies shut off with one button. Yes, it was a first year model which always carry risk, with cheap interior materials, and a big obnoxious brace in the middle of the luggage area, but compared to it's competition back then, it had plenty of torque, handled well, with a high fun to drive factor all at a reasonable price. 18 years, hundreds of track days, and an industry horsepower war later, she's now considered very much a "momentum" car, but it's been a fun, tight, reliable car that I still enjoy thrashing today. I have no regrets buying it.

I think a bigger question to ask is if you would buy a new Nissan now. My answer is likely no, given the infestation of fun-sapping Jatco CVT's throughout the lineup. But the the next Z, which supposedly will be offered with a manual transmission might be worth a look.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

For me it all started with a 77 Datsun 280Z my dad restored for me to drive. I grew up around a wide variety of cars, but most were Ford and Chevrolet. The Datsun was special though. Fun to drive, great looking, and very nimble.

I've owned quite a few Nissan's since then, but probably the one that has stayed with me the longest and i've had the best experience with is my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder Offroad. Nissan somehow got this generation of trucks and SUV's right, because 7 years later it still hasn't let me down and until it gets to the point it's not worth repairing anymore - it'll always stay in the family.

Nissan has definitely lost it's magic though in the past 10-15 years and every time I think it's coming back they somehow manage to fail over and over. Nothing Nissan makes in today's market even remotely interests me, so once the Pathfinder kicks the bucket and I decide to replace the Q50 i'm not very confident i'll own another one.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I had the best times of my life driving Nissan and Infiniti Products.
As a result i fell in love with the brand and it held to this day.

Check my sig for my line of cars.

Return to “General Chat”