why are people trying to make a versa fast?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
SuperTurbo

themadscientist wrote:
More than the haciroku had from Toyota. My old Silvia dynoed at 150 to the wheels and I could still piss people off with it.
LOL, the AE86 again... Many PPL love that is because of the handling and drifting, and it's a cheap FR car [Before the stupid Inital D came up]

but your 180SX... 150 on wheel is properly like 180-190 on crank... (Still more than a Mazda3 LOL)

Now you makes me remember some Japanese guy tries so hard to put a 250HP engine into that thing, and basically what they end up is lots of welding and adding metal bars on to the frame of the chassis

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

The AE86 was severely underpowered but for the time it was decent. The big thing with that car is the handling. The 4A is a beutiful motor too, so much power to be had. My ex had the 20 valve FWD Corolla and smoked a guy in an 82 vette and I used to eat hachirokus for lunch!

The S-chassis is good for the RWD and the power with the turbo engines. Good for drag and a very good drift car which is why it is so popular. The rear breaks in a predictable linear fashion.

As far as reinforcement, a strut tower bar is really all it needs, rear tower bar for the hatch, no welding or anything like that.

My 180 is a bit better than the Silvia, the weight of the hatch helps a bit but it's still spooky at speed as the rear likes to try to come around and say "howyadoin"? I actually need one of those huge rediculous wings.

I wouldn't even call a 240 a sports car, it's definitely "sporty" but if you jump out of the Silvia into the Skyline the difference is stark. I would call the S-chassis a machete, the R-chassis a katana.

Please, feel free to come over to thunderdome and poke them with a stick, I will certainly get a laugh out of it. At least Versa drivers are somewhat normal, we get the ZOMG DI DFTR 4REALS_YO! types over there. They argue about flushness and towhook lucky charms and other crucial stuff like that.

zerothread?id=286814

Please clown on them.

SuperTurbo

4A is a good engine for street use, and north america (long road trip)

If you are talking about every single drop of HP from that design, this is definitely not the engine you want....

Yea, Japanese try that a lot on that car with 250HP, the truth is the chassis can barely hold it, so... their answer is lots of mod on that chassis! LOL (Well... reaonable amount, like spot weld, and a few bars weld on, plus some tower bar, and bolt on bar... Lucky enough, no wonder bra yet! or welding another chassis on top of the chassis yet....

that's why most of those cars are keeping around 200ish HP for now, they find out that will be the best spot

OH boy.... that thing..... somehow the reason of doing that is for the driver to hear is their suspension low or hard enough. If they hear some noise back at big bumps, that means good, but every single bumps have noise, that means bad...

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

themadscientist wrote:At least Versa drivers are somewhat normal, we get the ZOMG DI DFTR 4REALS_YO! types over there. They argue about flushness and towhook lucky charms and other crucial stuff like that.
We have some winners ourselves

zer...93596

I only pray for the safety of his new RX-8. No automobile deserves the above fate....even a Versa.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

themadscientist wrote:Seriously, flame me if you want I don't care, but I am seriously asking whether it pisses you off or not.
Forum NAZI!!! You are supposed to be a moderator and NOT go off attacking people. You are a retarded little man.

themadscientist

You have some opinions that do not bear up under the weight of the evidence.

Just a few local cars on my end.

The motor went vegas and he is building a new and improved version. The 4A is a wolverine. Now the transmission is not a willing accomplice. We have a 400+hp AE86 running around that carries a spare transmission in his trunk! http://www.sdsefi.com/features/jan064ag.htm

This car was rediculous, the turbo danced on the surge line.http://www.sdsefi.com/features/apr06nissan.htm

Notice, not even a rollcage. He has a fully upgraded suspension but that is just proper.

This car was a real bruiser. I watched him rip the input shaft in half at a drag race.http://www.sdsefi.com/features/sept02silvia.htm

Again, notice, not even a rollcage.

Red Devil

KimberKenobi wrote:... whoever made this s/n - this was completely unnecessary.
I thought it was completely necessary myself.

SuperTurbo

Hey themadscientist

are we talkin about AE86 or S13 first?

S13's stock RB20DET can go up to 400HP easily, so chassis is way stronger than AE86

Other than that, do that AE86 guy use it on track like weekly?? or only once a while?? Because those I mention are for drifting, and usually those cars goes to the track to practice drifting at least monthly

Skim302
Car: Nissan Versa S

Alright, every car has to start some where. I think we all need to realize that the V has only been around since 2007 in the North American market. So what to you looks ridiculous and childish, to us is being a pioneer. If it wasn't for people like us who deal with the bull then some cars wouldn't be where they are today.

Here are some examples:

Then-

Now-

Then-

Now-

Then-

Now-

I could keep going but I won't. I personaly would like a different car, I'm not going to pretend like the V will ever become competition to a WRX or a GTI but I don't think it's wrong at all to do what I want with.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

KimberKenobi wrote:... whoever made this s/n - this was completely unnecessary.

As for everything else:

The Versa is the best bang for the buck in the entry level with tons of hi-techy features and passenger room.

My first time on the autoX track (as in, 'hi, i've never done this before... what do these cones mean?'), I smoked the entire HS class and pax-ed quite a few 240s and similar. This was on stock wheels. I've noticed a marked difference with my new wider tires and am excited to see how the entirety of the upcoming season goes. (So don't tell me my car isn't powerful, capable, and agile - I have to drive on the road, not the track. The 0-40 would surprise most people - and that's really what matters.)

A Versa is what I wanted. A Versa is what I drive. And a Versa is what I will make look like and do what I want.

You wanna nay-say or give me flack, blow it up your own tailpipe.

This thread is stupid and antagonizing... and by a moderator, no less.

Seriously, if you're curious, use the almighty SEARCH button as this question has come up several times. And is usually always answered the same way. This is a Versa Forum for Versa questions, and not a place where the rest of NiCO should come sniffing to pick on us. We drive Versas either because we chose to, or we had no other choice. We do what we must because we can (rofl). We can't all be the same, life would be boring.

You really want an answer to your question? Come to a NiCO Fest where the Camel is in attendance and I'll even let you ride up front. Of course, if I stick your @$$ in the back, you'd find that you aren't cramped while I whip around 35mph curves pulling 50-60mph without sliding, losing traction, or missing a beat. in a hatchback no less

Oh, and did I mention that I got a CVT transmission, Satellite radio, 6-CD in dash changer, upgraded stereo package (which is more that suitable for now), AUX jack for my iPod, sunroof with one-touch open and tilt, keyless everything, and bluetooth (which could definitely be better, but is usable) for less than $19k? Oh, and I have my oil changed every 5-7,000 miles and won't have to flush my transmission until 100k which has really saved me in maintenance costs... I also am one of the lucky few experiencing never less than 28mpg (33mpg in the summer) and I occasionally get 40-44mpg on the highway?

Um... yeah. I LOVE MY CAMEL

Are we done here?

this thread is too funny ahahahaha.

"Oh, and did I mention that I got a CVT transmission"

hurray for CVT transmisson lol

themadscientist

SuperTurbo wrote:Hey themadscientist

are we talkin about AE86 or S13 first?

S13's stock RB20DET can go up to 400HP easily, so chassis is way stronger than AE86

Other than that, do that AE86 guy use it on track like weekly?? or only once a while?? Because those I mention are for drifting, and usually those cars goes to the track to practice drifting at least monthly
You realise the S13 doesn't come with the RB20 right?

The AE86 shines on the track in NA trim. The power levels boost bring mak it very scary. The guy I mentioned was tearing the rear suspension mounting points off the unibody. He was not a drifter. Last I heard he is working on an old school Celica with a 3SGTE.

themadscientist

mcheddadi wrote:

this thread is too funny ahahahaha.

"Oh, and did I mention that I got a CVT transmission"

hurray for CVT transmisson lol
I'm laughin. That's not a chip on her shoulder it's a 2x4 and hse swung it right at my whittle head.

GoGo CV transmission, race mode!

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Red Devil wrote:I mainly meant the way the car came and the aftermarket. Until you saw SR swaps, there really wasn't an aftermarket for the 240SX. After SR swaps came the KA-T's, RB's, LSX's, e.t.c. All I was saying was there wasn't much in the way of aftermarket for the 240 like there was for the Integra/Civic/ Any other Honda.

And no, you can't compare the Versa and S chassis. The V is an economy minded, FWD hatchback while the 240 was a RWD entry level sports coupe.
I gotcha. I was just feeling snarky earlier, I guess.
KimberKenobi wrote:Um... yeah. I LOVE MY CAMEL
Funny enough I tend to agree with the OP, but I too love my Versa. Everyone who has had the opportunity to take a ride in it is blown away by the ride quality, features, and roominess. I just don't agree that it is an ideal platform for heavy perfomance modification, but I do respect your track prowess. Anyway, sounds like your Versa didn't need much in the way of mods to perform well in auto-cross.

I still believe that for the average kid for whom this is their first car, they shouldn't sink much money in performance modifications. That seems to be the primary audience so obsessed with bolt-ons and turbos. These are the folks that could care less about rear-seat legroom or the benefits of CVT. To them my advice would still be to save their money and someday get a ride that will accomodate their hunger for performance with an existing aftermarket and actual marked gains from the aforementioned modificaitons.

All that aside, one time I was sitting at a red light and as it turned green, a first-gen 240SX was approaching in the next lane. I gunned the Versa and got up to the speed limit well before it did - but the driver proceeded to accelerate well beyond the posted limit. The look on his face as he passed by me was priceless, though - his chin was practically in his lap. So yes, I agree that the 0-40 MPH time would be an interesting performance benchmark.

Red Devil

I had some random guy at 4 a.m. in a van try to race me in my 240 on the highway. Without me looking or even acknowledging him, he does 3 beeps and just blasts off while I still cruise along a 70mph. Weirdest thing.

I think half of the people who want to go fast and put all this go fast crap on a V should wait a few months, trade in for a Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T and save the trouble and money.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I tend to agree with you, but I don't like Hyundai at all. They don't appreciate my tastes. If nissan comes out with an entry level RWD coupe within 5 years, then i'll think about it.

As for mods on the V, I just want to go for the basic stuff, exhaust, header, rims, suspension etc. I'm not going install a turbo kit, roll cage, HIDs, or anything crazy for that matter.

Once I get all the stuff I want finished on this car after a few years, I'll keep it that way until the car dies at like 225,000 miles or so. I'm hoping Nissan has the Sentra SE-R in 2013, I'll keep my eye on that!

mcheddadi

Red Devil wrote:I had some random guy at 4 a.m. in a van try to race me in my 240 on the highway. Without me looking or even acknowledging him, he does 3 beeps and just blasts off while I still cruise along a 70mph. Weirdest thing.

I think half of the people who want to go fast and put all this go fast crap on a V should wait a few months, trade in for a Hyundai Genesis coupe 2.0T and save the trouble and money.
omg that GEnesis coupe Track edition is such an insane bargain at 23K price.

Red Devil

Mile High Versa wrote:I tend to agree with you, but I don't like Hyundai at all. They don't appreciate my tastes. If nissan comes out with an entry level RWD coupe within 5 years, then i'll think about it.
How exactly "don't they appreciate your tastes"?
mcheddadi wrote:
omg that GEnesis coupe Track edition is such an insane bargain at 23K price.
You're telling me. If I'd have known about the Genesis Coupe when I was buying my V I would've waited till the Hyundai came out.

http://jalopnik.com/tag/chicag...51658

R-Spec equipment includes:2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210-hp, an estimated 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph6-speed close-ratio manual transmissionElectronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)Torsen-type limited-slip differentialR-Spec badgingQuick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)Tire Pressure Monitoring SystemFront, side, side air curtain air bagsActive front head restraintsDriver's lumbar supportAir conditioningRemote keyless entry systemLeather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knobPower windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrorsAM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakersiPod/USB/Aux jack connectivityProjector beam headlampsLightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec

Love that last part.
Modified by Red Devil at 10:42 PM 2/21/2009

mcheddadi

Red Devil wrote:
How exactly "don't they appreciate your tastes"?

You're telling me. If I'd have known about the Genesis Coupe when I was buying my V I would've waited till the Hyundai came out.

http://jalopnik.com/tag/chicag...51658

R-Spec equipment includes:2.0-liter low-pressure turbocharged intercooled four-cylinder engine with dual continuously variable valve timing delivering 210-hp, an estimated 30 mpg EPA highway rating and a top speed of 137 mph6-speed close-ratio manual transmissionElectronic Stability Control with Traction control, ABS, Electronic Brake-Force Distribution and Brake Assist19-inch gunmetal-finish alloy wheels with staggered-width high-performance summer-compound Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (225/40YR19 front, 245/40YR19 rear)Brembo® braking system with 13.4-inch ventilated front rotors, 42mm four-piston fixed front calipers (red), 13.0-inch ventilated rear rotors, 32mm+28mm four-piston fixed rear calipers (red)Track-tuned suspension (higher-rate coil springs, higher-control shock absorbers, 25mm front stabilizer bar, 22mm rear stabilizer bar, front strut brace)Torsen-type limited-slip differentialR-Spec badgingQuick-ratio hydraulic steering (2.7 turns lock-to-lock)Tire Pressure Monitoring SystemFront, side, side air curtain air bagsActive front head restraintsDriver's lumbar supportAir conditioningRemote keyless entry systemLeather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knobPower windows (one-touch up and down), door locks and mirrorsAM/FM/XM/MP3/CD audio system with six speakersiPod/USB/Aux jack connectivityProjector beam headlampsLightweight temporary spare with aluminum wheel (T135/80D18)Note: Automatic transmission not available with R-Spec

Love that last part.
hahaha, yeah, when I was reading that on autoblog is was likeyes!yes! YES!*sees the NO AUTOMATIC PART"OMGWTFBBQ OHHHHH YEAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

They Call Me Whatshisname
Car: 2006 350Z

Red Devil wrote:I had some random guy at 4 a.m. in a van try to race me in my 240 on the highway. Without me looking or even acknowledging him, he does 3 beeps and just blasts off while I still cruise along a 70mph. Weirdest thing.
I do that to people at stop lights then I hit 'em with the hazards.

zratedversa1
Car: 07 Onyx Blue Versa

thats a 22b sti...

last time i checked its the year 2009... not 2000.

your point is made well though.

zratedversa1
Car: 07 Onyx Blue Versa

sorry...that was a d!ck comment.

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

I don't like Hyundai, plain and simple. I rode in one before and the thing appeared to be falling apart. The owner of the car had it for a short period of time and it felt and looked cheaply made.

One of my classmates has a 2005 Hyundai Accent, a little above 20k miles and it's been in the auto shop twice! It was having engine issues and other minor fixes to be worked on. Stuff like that shouldn't occur to a vehicle that's barely been broken into, if that were the case, I would sell it and get something reliable.

manvan
Car: versa hatch

i can say that after going to the auto show last week and sitting in the genesis i became a fan of that car, it was really nice. and to go back to the original topic, i dont want to make my car fast... just faster then it is now, im not looking to be a track car, i just want to be faster then my buddys fit who also mods his car, this is more for bragging rights for me

mcheddadi

Mile High Versa wrote:I don't like Hyundai, plain and simple. I rode in one before and the thing appeared to be falling apart. The owner of the car had it for a short period of time and it felt and looked cheaply made.

One of my classmates has a 2005 Hyundai Accent, a little above 20k miles and it's been in the auto shop twice! It was having engine issues and other minor fixes to be worked on. Stuff like that shouldn't occur to a vehicle that's barely been broken into, if that were the case, I would sell it and get something reliable.
try to find a modern bargain track car and well talk. until then hyundai will pwn all with its genesis coupe

Ginsu
Car: White 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

If your most important criteria are power, poor build quality, and no resale value, then you've got lots to choose from. How about the ever frugal Mustang, starting at just $20k, or the entry level Challenger, which is only $22k and delivers 38 more hp than the Hyundai? Also, in a few months the new Camaro will be out, which starts at 300hp and will be around $25k.

But the real question is, "why are people trying to make a Hyundai fast?" ... or popular, or long-lasting? Using your own accusations in this thread, one would assume that you would be better off saving up a bit more for that G37.

SuperTurbo

Hey themadscientist

Yea, I know North America's S13, 14 use a K24 truck engine.... but.... the frame is same as the Japan one, right? or I am wrong again??

AE86 in my mind is a good track practice car. Almost = today's last gen Civic Si. Cheap & you can learn s*** from that car speically on track. AE86 can crank out 130HP back then with a short & long intake system. Torque & Power wise is focus more toward the 4000rpm & up range...

But use it for drag.... I really duno......

btw, why is he trying ot remove the rear suspension area?? like... how can he mount a wheel & suspenion back??

Red Devil

Ginsu wrote:If your most important criteria are power, poor build quality, and no resale value, then you've got lots to choose from. How about the ever frugal Mustang, starting at just $20k, or the entry level Challenger, which is only $22k and delivers 38 more hp than the Hyundai? Also, in a few months the new Camaro will be out, which starts at 300hp and will be around $25k.

But the real question is, "why are people trying to make a Hyundai fast?" ... or popular, or long-lasting? Using your own accusations in this thread, one would assume that you would be better off saving up a bit more for that G37.
We're talking a trackable car here, not a crappy overweight car still using a live rear axle or a crappy overweight car with equally crappy handling. Yes, the camaro is coming and it's a decent car. It's still not as easily trackable out of the box like the Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec.

The Hyundai is quick out of the box, has the factory warranty and features equipment that you'd need to get the top trim level on some other cars. I don't get your ignorance of Hyundai. They're in the same position that all the imports were in during the 80's. Look where they are at. Hyundai has taken the steps to become a worldwide player. They've also put out a car that almost no other automaker has an answer for.

VersaMG08
'14 Nissan 370z

Whatever...

I'll just get a hybrid for my next car instead...

Ginsu
Car: White 2009 Versa SL Hatchback

Even if I concede that the new Genesis Coupe is the greatest car in production this year for the price you pay, this ridiculous thread still deserves all the dumb icons in the list

To come onto a forum where people are now spending as little as $9K brand new for what you (Red Devil) have pointed out is an econobox unworthy of serious modification and say "Hey, why didn't you guys get this $23K car instead. Its faster," is preposterous.

nismo300zr2
Car: 91 300zx

since this has become an all encompasing 'little car' thread..
SuperTurbo wrote:AE86 in my mind is a good track practice car. Almost = today's last gen Civic Si. Cheap & you can learn s*** from that car speically on track. AE86 can crank out 130HP back then with a short & long intake system. Torque & Power wise is focus more toward the 4000rpm & up range...
130hp AE86 with just an INTAKE?!?!

well... maybe you are just talking at the motor.

i have full bolt on's and still WISH for 100+ to the wheels

as for the OP, and modding versa's, i say GO FOT IT. if what i rolled was a geo metro i would want to mod it and make it 'mine'. no, you may not be a quick as most.. but i think most eveyones objective is to have something better than what they started with.

Return to “Versa General Chat”