Who here likes to cook?

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
iwantans13
Car: Lamborghini Diablo VT

Title.

Ive been cooking around the house and catering parties with my dad for about 3 years now. I want to be a chef when I get older like him. I like making mediterranean/italian food, thai food, basic steakhouse/new york style stuff and I dabble in some quasi-french stuff(though I think French food is gross). What about you guys?

dalzell240
Car: 95 240sx red

when i get spunky enough u can send me some aiightalso i can cook eggs and grilled chees and box meals

Abdo
Car: S13 RB25DET

well I've been cooking at a restaurant for 2 years now, and ill tell you, the ladies always love a good cook.

iwantans13
Car: Lamborghini Diablo VT

Abdo wrote:well I've been cooking at a restaurant for 2 years now, and ill tell you, the ladies always love a good cook.
Very true

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

I like cooking.Problem is, I usually end up cooking too much.I wish my cooking gave me more luck with the ladies

NSR240sxe
Car: '97 Kouki S14, '98 Sentra SE

you can come to my house and cook anyday for me lol i like cooking and baking also!

Hughretro
Car: 91 240sx and a 92 240sx(project car)

Oh yes I'm all about cooking up some grub. I'm always trying new things and different flavors.

thekage
Car: 98 Dodge Caravan, 98 Dodge Intrepid

I love to cook as well. Has is a pretty good cook I hear and heavyhips is a chef on this board..

I like to roast/grill meat. I also make a lot of Italian dishes. Although I did make some nice cox au vin last week.

Felipe
Car: abcdefghijklm nopqrstuvwxyz `1234567890-= ~!@#$%^&*()_+

i like to bake...

x240xdrifter
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

i love cooking!!!

i'm pretty good at it too

italian food is my fav

Dave_Dynamite
Car: '90 hatchback

anyone have a recipe/suggestion for cooking chili over a campfire or bbq grill? i'm going camping this summer and want to make chili on the last night that we're there. serving about 6 people, thanks in advance.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah I love cooking, especially de-glazing with wine and making huge *** fire. I was a cook for 6 years. Surprisingly, it didn't really help with the ladies. Probably because I was always working, and when I wasn't, I smelled like a resturaunt.

Maverick7687
Car: Sagemist(FSO) 1998 Maxima SE & Charcoal Metallic(KG2) 1993 240sx & My newly aquired Pearl White 1990

I like to cook, and would cook more if there were more things I could actually cook. I usually stick to steak, burgers/hot dogs, things you can cook on the grill.. I need some help.. lol

cassidy
Car: 94 Toyota Supra TT / 2000 Ford Ranger

I can cook.. cereal, well.. mix it really. with milk.

Unreal

Dave_Dynamite wrote:anyone have a recipe/suggestion for cooking chili over a campfire or bbq grill? i'm going camping this summer and want to make chili on the last night that we're there. serving about 6 people, thanks in advance.
I'm an apprenticing chef right now, I've been in the restaurant biz since I was about 8 busing for my aunt's restaurant. I'm working towards becoming a chef by trade and open up a restaurant. I'm working at a American style grille for the winter and then going back to Bryant to finish my management degree

As for something like chili that doesn't sound too bad. Just get some coals going and, just keep the temp low. I'd prepare all the vegetables beforehand and water down the beans ahead of time. The restaurant I work for has a chili and we just made it the other day but I can't remember what it was... I know the veg.

5 lbs onion5 lbs celery2 lbs red peppers2 lbs green peppers15lbs cubed top round? Beans

God it has like every spice in it, I want to say 3 ounces of everything but I think it may be too much. Celery Salt, Cajun Spice, Oregano, Thyme, white pepper, tbs salt

jdshift
Car: 2019 Nissan Altima/ 2015 Nissan Altima 3.5/ 2014 infiniti qx70s 5.0

Yeah....... I like cooking, but by far I love grilling!! Nothing fancy, just good ole eatin' is all.

BOOMSHAKALAKA

<---Likes to cook.

xekushnr
Car: '90 240sx Hatch

Anyone who likes to cook is welcome at my house any day. You like to cook, I like to eat.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

iwantans13 wrote:(though I think French food is gross).
LOL. I don't think you've had the right French food.

Anyway, I love to cook, which makes sense because I have a food blog (a crappy one).

Tonight I'm actually thinking what I can make what what I've got lying around the house and here's what I've come up with:

I have a huge bag of great frozen blue tiger shrimp and I've also got a bottle of Lillet dessert wine. While one generally poaches shrimp (or whatever) in dry wine, I'm going to try to poach them in the Lillet.

I've also got a bottle of Cremant D'Alsace, but I think I'd rather drink that than use it to poach shrimp.

Unreal

Yea I'd say French food is very hit and miss. Their pastries are by far the best out of any food culture. I mean I always thought french food to be more cafeish than sit down for dinner(ish).

Hey if you guys want a recipe here's one of my favorites. It's a Tomato cream sauce.

• 24 oz tomato pasta sauce• 1 small onion or half an onion, chopped• 1 tbsp olive oil• 1/2 cup heavy cream• 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a skillet, sauté the onion in the olive oil until tender. Add pasta sauce and simmer for five minutes. Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese, and remove from heat. Add sauce to cooked linguini and top with additional Parmesan cheese. Try it with mushrooms or shrimp or chicken if you feel like getting something a little heavier

HashiriyaS14

Ok, so I've got a wacky idea.

I have 4 quail (frozen) and a jar of chicken fat. A hunter friend gave me the quail and I bought the chicken fat on a lark awhile back.

I'm going to try to confit quail legs this weekend in the chicken fat. I'll report on how this goes.

I'm thinking of serving the confit'd legs alongside the breasts (roasted or pan seared) and a reduction of some red fortified wine I've got lying around. Maybe I'll roast some figs to go with it, as I have spare fresh figs.

I've got a 3 day weekend, so it's time to screw around with all my leftovers.

Unreal

that sounds good but don't you think the chicken fat will conflict with the Quail. Quail is a pretty gamey oily bird while chicken fat isn't so much

PBfrEAk
Car: '00 Frontier (Newb) '92 Maxima (Daily), '93 Max (Donor), '91 Max (Project) '77 F-150 (Funmobile)

I LOVE to cook.

Actually I like cooking more stuff than I like to eat.

I love cooking weird **** that I would never personally eat cause its fun and challenging.

I did make flank stake with a balsamic reduction sauce with bacon and onion potatoes.

It was amazing.

thekage

While not technically cooking, I am really getting into making stuff from scratch... like simple American style mozzarella cheese. Here is an easy recipe..http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fank....html

I also like to make Beer and Wine, and I really like to bake breads from scratch too!

I can't wait for spring so I can get this huge garden going in our backyard and half all kinds of goodies to cook with! We are planting all kinds of vegetables and herbs.. some grapes and other berries too!

Grappler
Car: Junker- 92 Buick Century

<------- Enjoys Cooking

I took 2nd in a cooking competition once made some amazing food too.

Unfortunately for me I am the only one of my friends who knows how to cook so they make me cook a lot ......

I like Cobblers stews and stir fries mainly occasionally I will dare to use an oven but not unless it is a dire emergency. I definitely however prefer an open flame to cook on :D

HashiriyaS14

thekage wrote:While not technically cooking, I am really getting into making stuff from scratch... like simple American style mozzarella cheese. Here is an easy recipe..http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fank....html
Making cheese from scratch = win. Same with pickles, preserves, or anything else of that sort.

It's like the "fab" of the culinary world, really getting into the nitty-gritty and making something out of "nothing". RESPECT.

I'm going to try to make Misoyaki butterfish (i.e. black cod/sablefish) this weekend. I'm on a wicked Hawaiian food kick at the moment. Any Hawaiians in the house?

Maybe if Obama gets elected we'll finally get some Okazuya, Lunch Wagons, and Ramn shops in DC, lol.

thekage

So I made my mozzarella. It turned out okay. Nothing amazing, but definitely edible. It is going onto pizza tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to make my crust tonight and let it set over night.

tnice17

i like to make things that are quick and easy. i am very impatient and sometimes eating gets in the way... but thats just me

HashiriyaS14

thekage wrote:So I made my mozzarella. It turned out okay. Nothing amazing, but definitely edible. It is going onto pizza tomorrow afternoon. I'm going to make my crust tonight and let it set over night.
Step by step with pics?

mattscar
Car: 1989 240sx, 1992 Miata

I love cooking!

It releases a lot of stress.

I plan to attend culinary school soon.

Return to “Around the House”