Who has a remote starter with intelligent key and how does it work?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
v-driver

I just purchased a 2008 SL hatchback with the cvt and intelligent key 280 miles on it today. I went to a shop that specializes in electronic goodies that you can have put on your car. I wanted a remote starter for my V. The man that runs the place told me he looked into it, and the only way it could be installed w/intelligent key set up was that I could start the car with the remote, but when I opened the door the engine would shut off. After getting into the car, I could restart the car with key in my pocket and go on my merry way.

Does this seem right?

There's no way I would go for this. Every time I used the remote starter I would be actually starting it twice to drive. There has to be some other way for this to work.

I want to start car from a distance. open doors with the outside button or remote, sit down in seat, turn key switch to on with intelligent key in my pocket just like I do now, and be on my merry way.

Am I dreaming of the impossible?

Modified by v-driver at 9:44 PM 3/11/2008
Modified by v-driver at 9:57 PM 3/11/2008

clarkemode
Car: 08 Versa SL w/CVT,ABS,Conv Package

I have this on my V with the intellikey. How mine works is I can remote start my car by pressing the lock on the intellikey fob 3 times. I can then use the intellikey to get into my car but then I have to physically remove the mechanical key from the fob and use it to turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then i can drive away. For some reason when I remote start my car, the car doesn't recognize I have the intellikey with me, therefore wont let me turn the ignition switch. Maybe its because the car is running already. Its not that big of a deal to me cause I only use the remote start on bitterly cold mornings. In my case, you cant have intellikey AND remote start working together. Maybe someone else has been able to do this in their V with intellikey.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

v-driver wrote:Am I dreaming of the impossible?
Yes.

You're asking someone to integrate a 3rd party remote start into a proprietary hard-coded Bluetooth system (which is what the iKey operates off of, and why you should NEVER have your fob and cell phone in the same pocket). Until someone designs a remote start specifically designed for the iKey system, what you are asking for is not going to happen.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Just curious, why does it matter if I have my bluetooth capable phone and iKey in the same pocket?

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Knightro2 wrote:Just curious, why does it matter if I have my bluetooth capable phone and iKey in the same pocket?
There have been cases where the Bluetooth transmitter in the phone has overwritten the security data on the iKey. In a Versa, this isn't the end of the world... you can just pop out the physical key and use it to drive the car to the dealer and pay them to reprogram it. But on the Altima, which has no physical key backup to the ignition, if this happens... you gotta call a tow truck, your stuck until you get your fob reprogrammed.

v-driver

clarkemode wrote:I have this on my V with the intellikey. How mine works is I can remote start my car by pressing the lock on the intellikey fob 3 times. I can then use the intellikey to get into my car but then I have to physically remove the mechanical key from the fob and use it to turn the ignition switch to the ON position, then i can drive away. For some reason when I remote start my car, the car doesn't recognize I have the intellikey with me, therefore wont let me turn the ignition switch. Maybe its because the car is running already. Its not that big of a deal to me cause I only use the remote start on bitterly cold mornings. In my case, you cant have intellikey AND remote start working together. Maybe someone else has been able to do this in their V with intellikey.
Thanks for the info I wish others would chime in on how thiers work. You can't be the only person with remote start and intellikey.

Pugs135
Car: 2011 Nissan Sentra

So can you just have the intelligent key without the remote starter?
I also don't like having to restart the car when i get in it. Really only reason to use this type of starter is to get A/C or heat going.

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

I have a remote starter on my '12 Altima, however, I only have a basic long range "start only" product in order to ensure the most flawless operation and compatibility with the car's OEM intelligent key system. The remote starter works perfectly 99% of the times. But will at times require me to turn off the car and restart it properly in order for the car to remain running.

I experienced a time where I was able to reverse about one feet to only have the engine turn off on me. :tisk: There have been times that the I can drive off without restarting my car as well. My remote starter was installed 100% correctly, but I'm quite confident that cars with intelligent key systems really are designed to accommodate aftermarket remote starters. In order to keep things safe I just restart my car properly to ensure the both systems work properly. Nonetheless, having a basic remote starter system is great, particularly when the weather gets cold, making it convenient to warm up my car's engine. :)

Return to “Versa General Chat”