Whinning sound

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
sdeanm
Car: 2006 Nissan Altima 3.5

I have a 2006 Altima 3.5. When I start the car it runs and idles fine. When I rev the engine while in park and the engine returns to idle there's a whinning sound coming from the passenger rear side of the engine that won't go away. The car idles fine while the whinning sound continues. If I shut the car off and restart there's no whinning sound. If I rev the engine the whinning sound comes back. The cars drives fine even when its whinning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi sdeanm, welcome to NICO Club!

Based on your description of the sound, I'd check the belts. Pop the hood and run the engine, rev it to make it 'whine' and see if you can pinpoint the location a bit better while looking at the engine. A belt usually 'squeals' when it's old or loose. An alternator can 'whine' when it's covered in grease/oil or the bearing is going bad (often from having a belt on too tight). Same for the power steering pump. So, it could be your alternator or PS pump. Check it out and let us know what you find please. I hope that helps! :bigthumb:

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

I had This problem before. I removed the serpentine belt cranked it up and the noise was still present. So I knew it wasn’t my power steering or alternator. Was a vacuum leak making that nose at the intake manifold. Check the intake manifold for leaks with brake clean/throttle body cleaner. Listen to how loud this squeal /whine was on my 2002 Altima 2.5
https://youtu.be/OKGm_M8HbeM

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”