which spring offers the lowest drop/best cornering?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
VQdriver
Car: surfing, skating, race driving, tennis

i'm not happy with my search. i'm thinking about eibach sportlines or tein s.tech. can anybody with experience offer more insight to these models (or any other brands for that matter)? would it be better to purchase a set of "jdm" springs since i'm having a swap done? i'm considering the weight difference of the lighter SR20det.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I can't tell you about all the springs out there, but from a source of mine who installs SR's and even RB's into 240s, there is only about 50 lbs different between the SR20DET and a stock KA. It would be negligible whether you get a JDM spec spring or a US spec spring.

VQdriver

C-Kwik wrote:I can't tell you about all the springs out there, but from a source of mine who installs SR's and even RB's into 240s, there is only about 50 lbs different between the SR20DET and a stock KA. It would be negligible whether you get a JDM spec spring or a US spec spring.
cool. does anyone know why the prokits don't drop the car lower? aren't prokits generally stiffer along the entire line of eibachs? in the maxima.org forum, sprint and intrax have the lowest drop. eibach prokit and sprints are considered to have the stiffest spring rates for maximas. i want the best handling spring with a noticeable drop. what's the popular vote in here?

that180guy
Car: cars&girls...cut the last part out

best handling, most noticeable drop = coilovers systems (not sleeves)

best handling spring wif the most noticable drop = pro-kitit doesnt slam u because its "race enspired." Being low doesnt nescicarily make u handle better.

If you wanna get lowerer den pro-kit level wif great handles, Id suggest grabbing a set of Sportlines, pair em up wif AGX struts, n set the struts 2 one of its stiffer settings.

best used combo ive seen/driven.:cool:

edit: H&R springs ive heard r stiffer den pro-kit, dunno bout drop tho and i heard ther price tag was hefty.

C-Kwik

that180guy wrote:best handling, most noticeable drop = coilovers systems (not sleeves)

best handling spring wif the most noticable drop = pro-kitit doesnt slam u because its "race enspired." Being low doesnt nescicarily make u handle better.

If you wanna get lowerer den pro-kit level wif great handles, Id suggest grabbing a set of Sportlines, pair em up wif AGX struts, n set the struts 2 one of its stiffer settings.

best used combo ive seen/driven.:cool:

edit: H&R springs ive heard r stiffer den pro-kit, dunno bout drop tho and i heard ther price tag was hefty.

What's wrong with sleeves? Oh wait, we already have a thread about it...I suggest you read it:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....=8779

I'd hardly call springs made for consumer use to be "race inspired". They are sporty, but they do not lower too much to keep the car streetable. Not to mention, the more you lower a car, the stiffer the springs need to be. The stiffer the springs are, the more aggressive shock valving you will need to control the oscillation.

Now if I can actually figure out what language you speak, I may be able to figure out what you are actually saying.

C-Kwik

VQdriver wrote:cool. does anyone know why the prokits don't drop the car lower? aren't prokits generally stiffer along the entire line of eibachs? in the maxima.org forum, sprint and intrax have the lowest drop. eibach prokit and sprints are considered to have the stiffest spring rates for maximas. i want the best handling spring with a noticeable drop. what's the popular vote in here?

I've heard nothing but bad things about Sprint and Intrax. A friend of mine actually worked for intrax and says the springs are hot rolled, which are more succeptable to sagging. Good companies will cold roll the springs, and fully compress the spring to keep them from sagging. I know Eibach and H&R do this. My RS-R's have not sagged in the three years that I've had them. I'm sure a lot of the Japanese companies use these manufacturing processes, but I don't know which ones.

Stiffer or lower is typically attributed to good handling, but is a big misconception. Most race cars can run very low and stiff because the tracks are very smooth. Stiff suspensions with high oscillation frequencies to not keep the tires planted on rough roads. For the street, if you want to control roll stiffness, I would look to anti-roll/sway bars as it will not give up too much drivability, while giving back a lot of response in the turns and keeping dynamic camber changes in check.

VQdriver

C-Kwik wrote:I've heard nothing but bad things about Sprint and Intrax. A friend of mine actually worked for intrax and says the springs are hot rolled, which are more succeptable to sagging. Good companies will cold roll the springs, and fully compress the spring to keep them from sagging. I know Eibach and H&R do this. My RS-R's have not sagged in the three years that I've had them. I'm sure a lot of the Japanese companies use these manufacturing processes, but I don't know which ones.

Stiffer or lower is typically attributed to good handling, but is a big misconception. Most race cars can run very low and stiff because the tracks are very smooth. Stiff suspensions with high oscillation frequencies to not keep the tires planted on rough roads. For the street, if you want to control roll stiffness, I would look to anti-roll/sway bars as it will not give up too much drivability, while giving back a lot of response in the turns and keeping dynamic camber changes in check.
thanks for the help guys. yes, i've read the threads on sleeves and coilovers. i don't think that's where i want to go with the car. i just want a good qualilty set of lowering springs to help with handling. my maxima currently has prokits/AGX combo. i was wondering if the sportlines/AGX combo will suffice for spirited street driving in the S13. are sportlines the best out there?

Kinesthesia

I am also curious about this issue. I'm mostly leaning towards KYB AGX shocks but can't decide on springs. Anyone have an opinion about the Tein S.techs ? Just curious because everyone seems to rave about the coilovers.

Stee Flo

what is the difference between the sportlines and the prokits besides the ride height? Ive always wondered about that.

that180guy

C-Kwik wrote:What's wrong with sleeves? Oh wait, we already have a thread about it...[

so i dont like sleeves and r biased against them.....so sue me:oface .....already read the thread

I'd hardly call springs made for consumer use to be "race inspired".

No **** they are sporty.....what else are they derived from.....OEM springs?

Not to mention, the more you lower a car, the stiffer the springs need to be.

tru tru. That doesnt stop sportlines being made.

Now if I can actually figure out what language you speak, I may be able to figure out what you are actually saying.

so ive got typos.....sue me

VQdriver, works for the rest of us...but its ur choice

Stee Flo, prokit has a stiffer spring rate

F4ucc
Car: motorsports

Well.

Have you guys thought about KG/mm S21 springs? They are designed for OEM type of shocks, not coilover. Unlike Eibach Sportline, or some regular aftermarket springs, KG/MM S21 springs provide enough spring rate for those have occasional track time in mind. Best of all, S-21 series provides three different types of spring rates to choose from.

Sport setting F:3.2 R: 2.6 kg/mm (x 57 for lbs/in)Supersports setting F:4.6 R: 3.8 kg/mmRacing: F:6.6 R:5.2 kg/mmOEM F:2.0 R: 2.0 kg/mm

Also, they are all single rate design unlike those progressive springs give you some kind of Un-predictalbe on track, especially for drifing........although progresive type of springs do ok for street and some not too serious racing.

As a note: using S21 springs with Stock shock might kill your shocks in a week since they are about 100% or more than 300 % stiffer than OEM springs.

My current setup is TOKICO HTS shocks (Japan Only, not available in US) with KG/mm S21 racing springs all around plus Cusco Adj Camber plates, which "was" a pretty popular setup in Japan for. Well, they work wonder just lack height adjustability compare to coilover setup. Speaking of Tokico HTS, they are "Short Stroke" design plus they could work with very stiff spring up to somewhere about 12 kg/mm (about 680 lb/in), thus you could run really short springs with much higher spring rate without running out your COMPRESSION TRAVEL. Lots of aftermaket springs are more like 20 % or 30% stiff than OEM springs, which I consider they are not worthy for a couple of hundred bucks.

Note: For those drifters; Tokico HTS is designed specifically for drift in mind. just like TIEN HE. the downside is they are kind of Expansive as you have to find some guys with JP connections though.

CHEERS91 S13 fastback87 AE86

member of "BATTEL-SWING"

C-Kwik

that180guy wrote:so i dont like sleeves and r biased against them.....so sue me:oface .....already read the thread

I'd hardly call springs made for consumer use to be "race inspired".

No **** they are sporty.....what else are they derived from.....OEM springs?

Not to mention, the more you lower a car, the stiffer the springs need to be.

tru tru. That doesnt stop sportlines being made.

so ive got typos.....sue me

VQdriver, works for the rest of us...but its ur choice

Stee Flo, prokit has a stiffer spring rate

I never said you had to like them. But it seems you are stating an opinion as a fact.

Are you saying OEM springs are not "race inspired then"? Even very fast sport cars come with OEM springs. I consider your definition of Race Inspired to be a bit broad. But that's just me.

I still have not heard of anyone truly confirming that Sportlines are softer than Pro-kits. Someone on the original mailing list claims to have called Eibach and heard the Sportlines are stiffer. I used to have sportlines on my S13 when I owned it, and it was quite stiff. I never got a chance to compare it to another S13 with a comparable set-up though, so I can't say for sure. But it seems this may be a rumor that has just been going around for quite some time. I could really care less either way, but someone might want to see if they can confirm it. Any volunteers? =)

Lsnaple

Kinesthesia: ive also wondered about the Tein s.tech. Im still debating whether i should get springs/struts or Tein coilovers.

ANYBODY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THESE SPRINGS???

VQdriver

ok, now i'm considering spending a little extra on jdm springs and jdm tokico shocks. what do you guys think?

C-Kwik

Doesn't matter if they're JDM or US spec. Be more concerned with what kind of spring rates, how low, shock design, valving, and adjustablility. Being JDM doesn't mean it's better.

Kinesthesia

I can understand why people see the connection between JDM and quality since the cars came from there but I think it's far to say that a good portion of the higher quality parts are available in the US. Hence, it wouldn't have to be "JDM" to be good, but that's just my feeling.

As for Eibach Sportlines vs Pro-Kits... it's my understanding that the lower you drop, the stiffer the sping has to be and Sportlines are supposedly about twice the drop of Pro-kits. But it would seem that Pro-kits have the right stiffness for the drop and Sportlines do not. So... I'm thinking... they may be stiffer than Pro's but not twice as stiff, so not really stiff enough for the drop.

It's so hard to find a balance... between what I want and what I think is reasonable. I'd love to get coilovers but it seems overkill since I'm probably not going to race. However, the handling book that I'm reading stresses the ability of components to work together. That it's quite possible to have all the best components and for them not to work well together. So buying components from the same company seems to be a logical choice but it seems most companies in the world (not just auto) can't or don't do everything well.

R240NA

I'm running Intrax with Tokico Blues, and while I've heard a lot of negative statements about Intrax, I'd have to say some of it is wrong. My car rides and handles equally great, fine for autocrossing and everyday driving. They provide a 1.75" drop, giving a nice look too. I used to have Pro-Kits with GAB Super HPs and feel my current setup is better for all around use. Doesn't really matter where the parts are made, if the design and research is there then you're buying a quality part, JDM or otherwise.

VQdriver

i was leaning towards the sportline springs, but if jdm models are more performance oriented, then i might be interested.

that180guy

wells, 2 clear it up, im opinionated.

And ive discussed it wif my friends and sum other people, sum do say sportline is stiffer. I dunno maybe it is, never rode on a pro-kited vehicle.

true, being JDM doent really mean ****, its all for show. Usually just done for the fact its a "JDM" company.

Id go JDM if i had the money for it that is.:mad:

AznRide
Car: Cars, hondas, import cars, girls, cars, girls, girls, and more beautiful girls.

Hey VQdriver, how come your signature says you maxima runs 14.1 at 94.6 mph while my old civic ran 15.0* at 96.** MPH??? What kinda Maxima (all motor) that runs with that time anyways? Sorry, but educate me. Also, sorry for resurect this thread.

Anyways, If i was going to get the Eibach Prokit, it wouldn't be noticable drop like the Sportline? I'm rolling on 17" rims on my car. I don't need to drop it that much, around 1" at the most. Any other comments would be nice. Thanks

VQdriver

14.1 is a flawed time. i actually should have gotten a 14.0 or even a 13.99. what happened was i only had about 1.5 gallons of gas in my tank. it starved the pump during my run and caused a fuel cutoff similar to the rev limiter. my average mph is about 95-96mph with 98.5mph being my best trap speed. basically i coasted across the finishline way before i set off the lights resulting in the low mph. i cut a 2.0 60' time. i only have an intake, exhaust, pulley, and ecu as my speed mods.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”