Which oils are y'all running?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Snoboarder793 wrote:hey palmer what do u think of AMSOIL?? i hear they have 100% real PAO oil from a car and driver article and i dont think you said anything about it just wondering,

AMSOIL is a very good oil.No doubt.

The base oils seem to be very similiar to MOBIL.

Except its advantage is, it doesnt bother to meet API specs SJ/SL like nearly all other oils.While many API specs are good one of them limits the amount of ZDDP an oil can have.ZDDP is a good anti-wear additive, traditionally used with much success in automotive oils and historically oil campanies have used a lot of it for this reason.

But its said to be bad for catalytic converters so auto manufacturers have been pressuring the API to limit in in new API specs.

This problem is exascerbated by the (misguided) trend to thinner oils which make for more blowby, hence more zinc in the cats.

So if AMSOIL doesn't try to meet API SJ/SL, it is free to still use it and that makes for a good oil formulation.

MOBIL1 is using a substitute for ZDDP called SuperSyn.

Many other manufacturers are using various other formaulations (adding Moly) to make up for meeting API and no longer being able to use a lot of ZDDP.

redline still uses a lot of ZDDP as well.

Fred..:)

sultan

fred, what is your opinion/what have you heard about Lubrication Engineers oil? http://www.le-inc.com A couple local guys are using it and they seem to like it. availability is not an issue, as one of them can get it at a discount (still a little bit more expensive than mobil 1 if the M1 is bought in 5qt jug at wal-mart).

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sultan:

Doesn't seem like a bad outfit but too little is known about the actual product.

If you want to patronize the little guy by all means ( I like to do that often as well), but I have nothign to tell me if they are even group IV.

Fred...:)

Return to “General Chat”