Which intake?

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
atiffarooqi
Car: 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V

Ive been looking at ebay for cold air intakes on my 03 Spec V and i came across some really really inexpensive CAIs that arent huge names. Then i tohught what more is an intake than a pipe and a filter? Should i still go with namebrand? Why? also, my choices of namebrand are Nsimo, AEM, injen, and greddy. Which would you recommend?

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

A lot of people make the mistake of saying "it's a pipe and filter, who cares?"

I have heard of plenty of Ebay intakes that work fine, but definitely upgrade the filter to a K&N or other name brand, most Ebay intakes have crappy filters, and crappy filters are dangerous.

Also keep in mind that more people have MAF issues when they use Ebay rather than name brands, and this is in large part due to an inadequate vibration mount. The little threaded post with the rubber around the base of it is your vibe mount, and if the CAI has a bad connection to it, as Ebays are prone to, you can get too much vibration and blow your MAF. It's very common, be careful, MAFs aren't cheap.

Among name brands...

NISMO is proven and the dealers will be more apt to deal with you if you have one. However, I had an Injen and loved it, AEM is also always a good choice, and Hotshot seems to be doing well.

I say go with a name brand. If you don't care about dealing with the dealer a little bit, go for the cheaper of those 4 brands.

Oh, and on the Greddy, I think they use a foam filter, the foam filters have been proven to flow no better than dry/wet cone types and definitely don't clean air as well. I can dig up the test if you want.

atiffarooqi

Between Injen and AEM, i would take AEM b/c they tend to run a little cheaper. Someone told me K&N is the best bang for the buck. Nismo just seems ridiculously overpriced.

nametakennow

I've heard decent things about the K&N intakes. I'd still go AEM/Injen, but I don't think you'd do any harm with a K&N.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

I got a NISMO CAI for my Spec V for the same price I would of had to pay for a AEM. NISMO is suppose to give the biggest gains, but that is mostly marketing and I am sure some of it is true since it was designed by nissan to work on a nissan motor.

$225 shipped:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW

atiffarooqi

Thanks for the link, but mine is an 03

atiffarooqi

Is there any engine management to worry about or can i just throw on a CAI?

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

No you don't need any engine management really unless you go forced induction for the most part. Bolt-ons won't require anything though or if you want to use something you can prolly gain roughly 5 horses from doing some tuning with an Apexi S-AFC II. Hell that is the only engine management I am running on my turbo setup as well.

For the CAI I used to have an AEM on mine and I loved it. The Injen and Nismo units should work just as well also.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

02, 03, 04, 05... still a QR25DE, nothing changed with the motor.

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

RED_DET wrote:I got a NISMO CAI for my Spec V for the same price I would of had to pay for a AEM. NISMO is suppose to give the biggest gains, but that is mostly marketing and I am sure some of it is true since it was designed by nissan to work on a nissan motor.

$225 shipped:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ZWDVW
I'd go with the NISMO one as well. My buddy used to have it on his Spec V and he loved it. Plus like RED DET said, it's a Nissan product for a Nissan motor. I also like the NISMO CAI cause I have it on my 1.8S.

atiffarooqi

Well, great news, my wonderful a$$ of a brother decided to open his big ****ing mouth and tell ym dad that im playing with the car and my dad wont let me mod it. Guess im going ot have to wait until im independent. Im soooo pissed but at the same time i know that i just have to be patient. I just want to gain some hands on experience but now i have no way of doing that. I dont know any mechanics that would let me work wit hthem once a week, b/c thats what i wa thniking of doing. I hope im able to stay patient.

atiffarooqi

I guess im just gonna work wenevr i can and save up for that big day when hopefully im a resident and i can get my STi. I just fel so bad for my car that such a ca rwith such potential is sitting there waiting to be hooked up. But itll be way worth it when its all my money and i hav my 800 hp STi and no gas haha! But yea ill save watever i can for when i buy my own car, im actually thinking of investing in a nitro RC car. But if theres anything you guys know of for building my knowledge please send it my way. Thanks guys, ill keep my eyes open on the forums.

nametakennow

Just stick around and your knowledge will grow. Read anything you can find. It's a big idea to make a 800hp STi, and with that big idea comes the need for a lot of knowledge.

atiffarooqi

Yeah the 800hp was just a little fluff. I was just trying to make a point to myself that i just have to wait and when i use all of my own money itll be so much more worth it and so much more rewarding. Ill definitely look around this and other forums. The only thing that becomes a problem is when the topics require some background knowledge to understand that i dont have. Im definitely going to look for a mechanic that i can shadow on weekends or something to get my hands dirty. I just dont want to be starting from scratch when i get my own car. Its like everything else, you can learn the theory but until you practice it, that information is empty. But info never hurts.

nametakennow

Pretty much you're right on.

If there's background knowledge you're missing when you read a thread or DIY, etc, go ahead and ask away.

atiffarooqi

I will ask, but ijust hope this board isnt like the other boards tha tur na DIY thread into a "flame the kid thats asking easy questions" thread.

nametakennow

If it was we'd have gotten you on this thread asking about Ebay CAIs, a very common flame topic .

NSR_s30
Car: '99 Ford F250 7.3L Diesel, '71 Datsun 240Z

Ebay intakes are awesome...

atiffarooqi

So do you think there is any particular cars forums i should surf since im planning for an STi should i be on STi forums? Also, this may sound stupid but for a while i have been thinking about buying a nitro RC car. It seemed really cool and the modifications seemed like something that would be cool fro someone (like me) who cant modify an actual car. Plus i get all types of weather here so i thought it might be fun to have one in the dry or snowy weather. It just seemed similar to an actual car andi figured its something fun and something to keep me busy until my own car comes haha. Is anyone familiar with it?

nametakennow

I've heard good things. If I had money I'd get one, maybe I will in the summer, something to do while bored on campus and avoiding homework...

Anyway, I think nasioc.com (or maybe it's .org) is the big Subie site. I'm a member somewhere in there because I looked at getting a 98-99 Impreza 2.5RS, which still sounds like fun at some point. Poke around a bit there to get Subaru info, but I never liked spending much time there, too many hotheads IMHO.

atiffarooqi

Youre so right. ive been thru nasioc, clubwrx, and sme others and theyre all just out t opick on people. But do you to what extent rc cars are moddable, b/c im really thinking bout getting one now.

nametakennow

There's quite a bit of modding you can do with some. No replacement for a real car, but with a good set of sticky RC tires and another set of slick ones for some drifting around or whatever there's a lot of fun to be had.

atiffarooqi

O Im so excited haha. Im going to look at some ohbby shops and ask my questions. Well see what goes down. i was actually researchigng them a while bac kand its cool how they have multiple speed manual trannies and stuff liike that, things so meticulous. Ill make a post about it ifi get one and relay my feelings on it.

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”