Which intake mod is better...

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
gjohnson66
Car: 2005 G35 6MT Coupe

I'm a newbie to the site and am glad to say that I'm glad I ran across it! I have an '05 G35 6MT and am about to start modifying it. The question is this -- which would be the better path to take in so far as the intake manifold/plenum is concerned: insert a MotorDyne spacer or replace the plenum with a new intake manifold such as the Kinetix SSV? I should also mention that I'm planning on building the car, in stages, so that in the end I'll have 500 or so horses at the wheels.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Welcome to NICO!! yikes, 500 RWHP is a lot for the VQ engine without some serious internal modifications! Do your research, and you'll be fine.

As far as the intake, if you're serious about adding that much power, get a new manifold that will handle the extra boost later. I'm pretty sure that the Kinetix is a fine choice. Got any pics?

Here's some related info:zerothread/159861
Modified by joe603 at 2:46 PM 6/15/2006

nnkfws333
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 and a 1989 Nissan 240SX

Your only going to achieve 500 to the wheels going Forced Induction. If you are going to do that then I would skip out on the intake part and headers. Save up for a APS or Greddy Twin Turbo or a Single Turbo Kit. Most people do NA modifications and later only regretting and saving up for a Forced Induction Kit.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

nnkfws333 wrote:Your only going to achieve 500 to the wheels going Forced Induction. If you are going to do that then I would skip out on the intake part and headers. Save up for a APS or Greddy Twin Turbo or a Single Turbo Kit. Most people do NA modifications and later only regretting and saving up for a Forced Induction Kit.
He was getting an upper intake manifold, not a cold air intake. But for only $170, it will give plenty of bang for the buck until the turbo/supercharger is installed. (he mentioned stages)

I agree with you though, forced induction is needed to reach those numbers!

gjohnson66
Car: 2005 G35 6MT Coupe

I agree with you on the subject of forced induction. Eventually, I plan to tear the VQ down and replace all of the internals -- no small feat, and certainly not cheap! However, my idea was to try and find an aftermarket solution that would give me a little more power as I go...I realize that I'd have to change most of the stuff out in lieu of the twin turbo set-up later on. Thanks for your input though...

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”