Which Coilover would you go with?

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
s14brent
Car: 07frontier 4x4 6spd!

the reason i like jic is because they have full suspension, bars, rods, coilovers for the 240, and when i met them, they had great customer service. Flt-A2s were my first choice because it's like a better version of the tein HE's(same spring rates and all). The reason i want the HE's is because everyone had nothing but positive things to say about them. i dont like tein usa personally. they are stuck up ***holes with ugly *** jdm hoes. tein he's are made in japan so i have nothing worry about cheap quality. another thing is the HE's arent that stupid green color :) but really i'm having same dilemma, and for some reason im leaning more toward the HE's now. I know im not gonna be one of those brats bragging i have tein suspension, because it only matters to me and how it handles. Tein HE's were like made specially for the 240sx, and rx-7s...meaning you wont have ***holes with civics saying they have tein he's, or jic's. As for rebuild goes, tein usa does them, but i can go through signal for that also, they have their own rebiuld center there. hella confused but credit card ready :D

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

The FLTA2's are not a better version of any Tein. They are comparable in spec to the Tein RA though.

s14brent

i said "its like a better version" not it is....but thanks for you help dori dori....i think i'm going to go with tein he's...i'll post back about it after i call around for some prices. if all fails i'll go w/the jic groupbuy :)

AJ-SPEC
Car: 1995 240sx/se, 5 lug, no sunroof, no lsd

check out the march issue of import tuner. they are working on suspension components for a '96 240sx, actually done at ctc motorsports in dallas, a shop that I frequent. they used the JIC system with the strut bars and a couple of other goodies. I think it's at http://www.importtuner.com, or something to that effect. I am going with JIC myself, once I get the 240 I'm looking for. anyone ever seen the graphite gray s14? anyway bro, just go with what you want, you really can't make a bad decision, and if you aren't a tein guy, go with jic. I don't have anything against tein, but imho jic is better.

Dori Dori

Why is Jic better? I am, myself, completely torn between the two companies...but I'd like to hear why people think Jic is better?

creophus
Car: 240SX SE & 200SX

Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem! I'm leaning towards Jic, but I don't have my money right to get the suspension right now. I NEED new tires, so I'm going to get new rims also. Therefore, I have no money right now for the suspension.

matt0941
Car: Counter-Strike, Cars, Girls (in that order)

I am confused, what are the FLTA2S comparable in Tein's stock: the HEs or RAs? And what is this I am hearing about shock boots and so on. Because people are saying that FLTA2S are beter because of nissan's suspension and allows the shock boot to be adjusted and go to such lengths that they are very effective and don't bottom out. I don't know exactly how it works but could someone explain it better than my (retarded) jargon? And do the Tein's come with this?

AJ-SPEC

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....lvia/Project Nissan Silviatry this link. it might answer some ?s. Also, I mentioned Import Tuner also used this coilover system. Maybe there's a reason for this. Like I said, I don't have anything against Tein. One other reason that I like JIC (keep in mind I don't even have a 240 yet) is because they make multiple suspension components. It is good to use as much of a company's components (regarding suspension) as you can, as they are tested and built to work together; this is important when fine tuning. that's why most companies you see running in a competitive field, JGTC or speed touring for example, use the same suspension components. That is not to say that you can't get damn close with a mixed system, as most of us will never gain the skill to push our cars to where that makes a difference. Most consumers do this, to get the best performance for their budget. JIC doesn't make swaybars (I haven't heard of them) so you would still have to go elsewhere. but as someone else on the thread pointed out, they make a hell of a lot more components then just coilovers, and they are all made to work together.

On a lighter note, JIC's pure magic!:D

Dori Dori

Matt, the Tein RA's are direct competition with the FLTA2's. What people are talking about is the fact that the FLTA2's have a threaded shock body...what people don't know is that so does the Tein RA and the Tein HE. What this does is allow for the height to be adjusted with out affecting strut travel. I don't too much about the HE's...as far as specs go, they seem to be close to the RA...but I don't have much info on them. I will try to get more...

AJ, I see what you are saying, but in reality, the added Jic suspension components will work no differently with Jic struts then they will with stock struts. Battle Version makes the same components for less money (just so you know). They all do the same thing...added alignment abilities and spherical ends. The reasons magazines are all using Jics is b/c Jic gives it to them! They are pushing for their name to be bigger! It's all marketing. For a while, Jics where not liked in the USA due to a poor quality reputation (durability problems), small name, and the fact that there was no Jic USA to service any of their struts. That has all changed though...as you already know, there is a Jic USA (hoo-ray!) and their quality is supposed to be much better. Really, you can't go wrong with Jic, Tein, Zeal, HKS, Apexi ect. I would stay away from Japan only companies like Cusco though (only because when your strut needs to be rebuilt, you'd have to send it to Japan...yuk). As for the JGTC cars...their suspensions are nothing like what they are on the street...everything is custom. They all use the same parts though b/c of sponsorship. Trust me, none of those race cars are using any suspension components off the shelf. Good luck either way!:)

matt0941
Car: Counter-Strike, Cars, Girls (in that order)

Thanks for the input Dori Dori.

s14brent

thanks for clearing about the HE's having threaded shock bodies....by far most useful post to me on this whole board =D

Bussman240sx
Car: Nissan cars, and women

i have the JIC FLT A2 and i like them alot. couldnt want anyting more

AJ-SPEC

Dori, do you know where I can find out more info on the battle version stuff? that's interesting, the tein RA's are equal to the Flt-a2's- I'll have to look into that, could save some money. good input though, yeah just cuz it's from japan doesn't make it quality. everyone's so competitive now, like you were saying you really can't go wrong, just make sure you choose a system that best fits you, your budget, and goals.

240Degrees

Has anyone here rebuilt their shocks? I'd like to know where you went for it and how much you paid...

Dori Dori

You could get the Jics for less than the Tein RA's. You're probably better off with the Jics (especially if you get in on the group buy going on right now).

Here's the Battle Version website: http://www.k2rd.com/Online_Cat....html

Good stuff!:)

Oh, BTW, those are retail prices on that site...you can buy them from http://www.phase2motortrend.com

Bobby_Wu

AJ-SPEC wrote:Hope this info helps:JIC is 15way adjustable, with threaded spring perch for height adjustability. it also comes standard with camber plates for all 4 corners. big thing is that the 240 has problems lowering effectively because of the shock body must be shortened or you will be on the bumpstops all the time. the solution is to get a shorter shock body, which tein has, but the problem comes again because of the lowered compression travel. JIC solves both by using a threaded shock body, allowing you to shorten the shock body without sacrificing compression travel. the spring rates are 447fr and 335rear. I am pretty sure you will be good with this. the tein offers 448f/336r, but you won't feel the diff. of a pound. I am going to use JIC for these reasons, and because you can order strut bars from them also, and it's usually better, though not required, to go as much with the same company as possible, as thier equipment is tuned together. sport compact car chose this setup also, and you can find out more at http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com, and do a search on project 240, then select project sylvia. it comes up as no info. if you just punch in project sylvia, don't know why.

Btw, if you do a thorough search of the board, you will find that tein's are good, but after getting them, people would still like to upgrade to JIC. It's never the other way around. tein he/ha: just over a grandJIC flt-a2: 1599 not sure about your rims and offset, but the JIC is supposed to be able to work with this. I'm not sure about that part though.hope this helps!:cool:

thanks for the info AJ-SPEC .... you just answered all the questions i had about getting new suspension system for my S14....but i am still curious about Zeal's suspension system....any info?

Bobby_Wu

I agree with getting all components from one compnay...i was considering an all Cusco suspension system...struts..sways..coilovers..but i haven't heard many good things about Cusco's coilover setup....if i go with JIC for my coilovers and struts...what sways would compliment my setup?????

Bobby_Wu

are sway bars ever necessary????...i read the Project 240 from Sport Compact Car and it doesn't look like they used any...

240_Keyy
Car: '90 240 Fastback

they haven't used any yet, but they are going to...

Bobby_Wu

NiteKids wrote:3. Can you use stock control arms etc w/ them without fear of them breaking due to the stiffness of the setup?

One question that wasn't answered was if the stock control arms and etc will be enough with the JIC suspension systems..

Phax
Car: Control dynamics

Bobby_Wu wrote:One question that wasn't answered was if the stock control arms and etc will be enough with the JIC suspension systems..

Bump

I'm interested in this too. Are there any issues with added stress to the control arms being created by the changed suspension geometry / loads of a coil-over setup?

nismo604
Car: 91 S-13

I have the JIC FLT-A2's and I love them. Before I bought these I was looking for the Tein He's but they were discontinued, so Teins suggest I get the Flex, which had the same spring and lower shock body adjustments but were 5/4kgmm and twin tube damper design which is made more for comfort, but I did like the fact I could use their EDFC computer the adjust the dampening while staying in the car. Then I stumble on the JIC's which had inverted strut design up front, large monotube dampers and the same 8/6kgmm of the HE's. I was torn between them, I like the EDFC feature of the Teins but I went for the JIC's mainly cuz it is their top of the line coilover which the Flex's are definately not Tein's top of the line. As it turns out the materials used on the JIC's are way better too. Stainless steel , aluminum with CAD plating which means no rust(a good especially up here in Canada) versus only steel and powder coating for the Teins, now I know the have a teflon coating on the treads but I prefer durability stainless steel provides.

the_invisible

Bobby_Wu wrote:One question that wasn't answered was if the stock control arms and etc will be enough with the JIC suspension systems..

The stock arms are pretty strong. When I was painting it, I sanded out the rust and painted it very thouroughly and found that they are actually reinforced inside pretty well. So basically, these arms are thick and strong and should be able to withstand the hard impact from coilovers.

Though, you have to remember that when the suspension faces impact, most of the vibrations and shocks will be absorbed by the tires, bushings, and springs (shocks will damp the spring).

If you have low profile tires and stiff springs, the impact will be absorbed by mainly by the chassis. If you have upgraded the bushings and have coilovers with low profile tires, chance is that most of the shocks and vibrations will be absorbed by the chassis. If you have this kind of set up, you can possibly tear your suspension chassis in no time.

I suggest that if you go with coilovers, stick with your stock bushings and arms since the stock arms have the tendency to "flex" a little when they face hard impact. The stock bushings also help absorb the harsh impact from uneven roads. Many people will tell you that the stock bushings will go bad, but I found that on the 240sx, the stock bushings are already very stiff and even after 10 years, they remain very hard. If you get the aluminum racing control arms and links that come with solid bushings, you can't drive your car on the street as these racing arms with racing bushings will be too stiff for street use and can damage your subframe and chassis.

In Japan, many people break their control arms and subframes because their suspension is too stiff to handle even the slightest bump on the road. Even HT states that their racing arms and links are for offroad use.

Remember that anti sway bars help deflect the shocks and vibrations and distribute them evenly. Anti sway bars MAY improve ride quality if you have coilovers.

For me, I think that the best set up is to get Solid T/C arms, Jic Coilovers, and sway bars. This is an already stiff setup, so I would leave the stock bushings and arms in place to help absorb the harsh impact and prevent chassis damage.

I hope this help, I don't think I did a good job explaining.

Nils
Car: road racing

I agree with Dori Dori. He put it very well... they are all great from what I hear, go with what suits you best.

I have put over 2.5 years of hard track time at the road courses here on the westcoast with my Tein HA's.... they take a beating and work awsome!

I'm sure the other brands are great aswell, I just dont have any personal experience with them, so I cant comment on their performance. I would be curious though to try out a set of JIC's or step up with Tein RE's.

n

burgy240
Car: 2000 Q45 Ann. Edition Blk on Blk

Anybody know specs and info on the ZEALs??? also, how much is it to get the JIC rebuilt? I thinkI'm gonna order JIC this month if I can get the answers to some of these questions.

burgy240
Car: 2000 Q45 Ann. Edition Blk on Blk

Anybody know how much it is to get JIC's Flt A2s rebuilt? thanks

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”