Where to tap into headlight line?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Yorb
Car: 1992 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback

Hey. I have some interior NeonWire that I'd like to wire to the headlights so that when I turn my lights on, the neons would come on. Wouldn't that be cool? ;)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anybody happens to know an easy way to do this...is there a wire somewhere I can just wiretap straight into? If so, where is it? =( Do I have to just start searching?

I have a '92 240SX SE. Hatch. If anybody can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

-Darwin

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

I tapped my fog lights into my drivers side marker light. Just pull it out like you would change a bulb. I dont remeber which color to use, if u cant figure it out, let me know and ill check. Its easy as pie!

Yorb

Thanks!

I have another stupid electronical newbie question. I need to splice some of the NeonWire (standard 12V car accessory stuff) with regular wire...can I just use 125V in-house extension cord stuff? A wire is a wire, right?

If not, what do I need to get to do this? Thanks. =)

Oh and can I just remove the cigarette lighter adapter and tap into the side marker line right there?

WAbernethy

Depends on what type of wire you are talking about. Don't use the solid core type wire like what is run in the walls of your house. Don't use lamp type wire, like the typically black or brown two conductor wiring that goes to things that you would plug in to an outlet. If you are speaking of the type of wire found in "orange" extension cords, they may be usable. I would just go out and spend the five bucks and get a roll of 14 or 16 AWG wire at your local auto parts store. Why be ghetto?

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Dont be ghetto. Messing with your cigarette lighter plug might be bad. If nothing else, it will most likely LOOK bad! Just run a wire thru the fire wall to the side marker light and ground your accessory (whatever it may be) on the chassis in a GOOD place (look for other factory grounds nearby and use them). Just dont leave anything hanging or exposed. That would be bad. And yes, spend five bucks and get some wire at Pep Boys.

WAbernethy

A good place to tap for interior accessories that go off and on w/ your headlights would be the little light for your ashtray. Pull it out and there will be a little bulb under there. That way you don't have to worry about running through the firewall.

Yorb

Wow thanks, I didn't even know there was a light in the ashtray. ;D And won't that line already be grounded?

At any rate, all of this is going to have to wait for a bit, as I just pulled off my factory spoiler and found, duh, RUST HOLES! Bondo time! =/

Thanks guys.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”