Where to start z32?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Gorillionaire
Car: Nissan Z32 TT 5spd

Well guys im reaching out to figure out which areas to begin 1st on my project. I've always admired cars and have had the pleasure of experiencing many vicariously via my big bro, civic si , acura type r, bmw etc But never had one of my own. So i now have a fully stock z32 5spd tt. The enterior is mint stock, the bose radio doesnt work the rest is stinky stock the whole car needs attention so where does one start first? I had cracked tail lights so I bought those oh and great news they are back ordered. anyways all suggestions are appreciated. My goal is to improve the car in every regard while respecting its body lines bring it back to like new . A few Zs that ive been looking at for inspiration are youloze z32 build, I also like the red tt with white desmond wise sports a few car whose vision/build Id like to emulate. The engine and all of its systems are a bit confusing as to how they interact and the dependencies. So if anyone has suggestions, links to information , explanations I'd appreciate it. Some areas I need some help on are the engine each component on vg30dett and its function. Things Ive learned so far are old vs new motor has different cam sprockets but what do cam sprockets control, jwt /jun cams are good but what do cams do ? what does the lift effect what is the deg mean? what is ideal for a weekend car/sport focused build , coil overs are great but what are spring rates what is the ideal spring rate front and rear? probably super annoying but yeah help a player out. Ive been creeping hard and digging. plan so far

exterior, twinz rear diffuser type 1 , twin z rear wing type 1, twin z front valance usdm, twin z type one lip, power trix fog ducts, 99 xenon head lights,

suspension , powertrix ultra lights or equivalents, control arms , bushings , hicas delete ( still need info on this ) I like spl parts but is it worth it?

wheels , three piece wheels are super confusing as the depend on caliper sizes etc. what wheel diameters work with rubbing and tearing stuff up

interior , recaro experts, yadda yadda , also time period correct single din radios are freaking hard to find and expensive

engine , this is black magic , super new to me help please

unreliableZ32
Car: 1993 300zx TwinTurbo

to be honest, the first things I would are preventative maintenance and things of that nature.

-Timing Belt Service
-Change all fluids
-Replace cracked or worn hoses, you don't want to have to track down vacuum leaks, or worse, coolant leaks.
-Replace all coil pack and fuel injector connectors, ~30 years of heat will make them brittle and they will crack.
-Relocate PTU, I've seen a few people who lost their PTU to their clutch fan, put it under the nose panel.
-Give it a good cleaning

once you've done that, then start to upgrade the car. no point in making her super fancy if she won't run, or run well.

as far as engine upgrades, start with intake and exhaust, assuming they aren't already done.

as far as cosmetic upgrades go, the TwinZ diffuser is sick! Also get JDM tail lights. Ultimately, most things that TwinZ makes will look good, but its up to you, you own the car, its your taste.

Gorillionaire

thanks first time i heard of this PTU relocation appreciate the tip, I already ordered the tail lights but they are on back order. coil pack and fuel injectors I see most people seem to upgrade the size and then that impacts other parts. hate to spend the money just to upgrade them

unreliableZ32

you don't necessarily have to upgrade the injector size, just replace the pigtail clips that connect to them. You don't even have to pull the plenum to replace them. If you do upgrade the size, it will need an ECU chip to run larger injectors, if you have to chip the car make sure you do other modifications like an intake and exhaust so your money isn't wasted. what year is your car? if you have the early style injectors than they will be more prone to failure from the ethanol in today's fuel.

Something else you may want to do is a compression test. I don't know how well your car is running, but since you just bought it I would go and thouroughly check everything. make sure all clips are well connected, no broken wires, all sensors are functioning properly, pull ecu codes, make sure you have good plugs, etc. A healthy Z is a happy Z. you don't want to have underlying issues present themselves after you dump a bunch of money into the car.

Do you have any power goals? or are you mainly focusing on cosmetics?

Also, the conceptZperformance wiki will be a nice tool, as well as the Factory service manual.

Gorillionaire

91 so old style injectors .. Id like it to keep up with modern sports cars so 500/600 bhp? additionally I dont need to use the car so we have that going for us I was really thinking like id build up all the simpler support systems (exhaust,suspension, wheels tires body) get everything ready and then rebuild the engine from the bottom up

unreliableZ32

Well if high power is the goal, plan on getting those bigger injectors, you'll need a fuel rail adapter aswell. For an exhaust, I hear 3" is the way to go for that power range, then choose a system you like the sound of. For the intake system I'd upgrade the intercoolers and intake piping, as well as getting a new cone style filter. Intercoolers make a big difference no matter the power level so they're a good investment. I'm not sure what suspension mods are popular, I'm on the stock stuff because I like the adjustment gimmick.
Good tires are always a must, I run 245/40/18 and 275/35/18 on my car and it feels good. I can break loose in 1st gear but it's solid for the rest. I'd recommend a brake upgrade too at that point.

Body upgrades really aren't necessary so get what you like. I personally like a mostly stock look. Kind of like the silver car you posted.

You may also look at drivetrain mods, such as clutch and lightweight flywheel and a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft. Underdrive pulleys are nice too.

Would love to see some pics of your car!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

unreliableZ32 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:22 am
to be honest, the first things I would are preventative maintenance and things of that nature.

-Timing Belt Service
-Change all fluids
-Replace cracked or worn hoses, you don't want to have to track down vacuum leaks, or worse, coolant leaks.
-Replace all coil pack and fuel injector connectors, ~30 years of heat will make them brittle and they will crack.
-Relocate PTU, I've seen a few people who lost their PTU to their clutch fan, put it under the nose panel.
-Give it a good cleaning

once you've done that, then start to upgrade the car. no point in making her super fancy if she won't run, or run well
THIS x 1000. :dblthumb:

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”