Where is the TPS sensor on a 91 M30??? yes I've searched....

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Mikoriad
Car: 93 240sx fastback

Hi guys, well that's the question. I've seached for an on line manual for the vg30e, can't find. I've went through countless posts about m-30's, j-30s, TPS adjustments, everything i could think of??? Can someone please give me a hint on where it is, I just need to adjust it to smooth out my hard shifts.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I dont think that adjusting the TPS is a good idea. Its tweaked from the factory and you need a consult ot get it back to where it should be... Nissan trannies (esp the RE4) tend to have a little bit of a rough 1-2 shift... You can play with additives (lubeguard red/blue) to help this a little... search for lube guard in the online mechanic, i know thers a good post about it.....

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Wes is correct you really dont want to mess with this if you dont know what you are doing.

FYI its on the throttle body. Or right next to it.

Mikoriad

I've actually just recently had the trans fluid flushed, and lube guard added. Man that old fluid was a nasty black almost. I've got about 240,000 miles on this baby, and it still runs good. The shifting hard is the only problem aside from a flakey blend door, and is also the reason I got the trans flushed. All the shifts have recently gotten very harsh (before the flush). The good thing is there's no slipping. 1-2 is a serious jarring experience, as far as 3-4, I have to back off the pedal almost to a coast to get into 4th. It seems that the shifts are comming too late no matter how soft I am with the accelerator. It doesn't shift to any gear until about 4k rpms, and any slight pressure on the pedal while cruising will make it down shift. So, I know the general area to look for it, but the only tps pics i can find are for other cars ie , j-30, 240, 300.... and the engines are all obviously different from mine. I'd like to aleast hit it with a mulitmeter and check voltages. I'm pretty handy, I've changed the clutch in my 240 amongst other fairly big jobs. My cash flow is tight and I just need a little more instruction to tackle this.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

The tps is on the throttle body on the intake plenum.

A multimeter will only give you min and max voltage. To do a true wave form and check for dead spots you need an oscilliscope.

M30 Steve

You can check your Tps with a volt meter, it is located on the right side (facing engine) of your throttle body, right behind the rubber tube with hose clamps on it. Test with the connector in place, you should get an output voltage reading of 0.4-0.5 with the throttle closed. To adjust the Tps loosen the two screws on the unit and move it up or down. I think the harsh shifts you describe are a common problem. I read some posts a year ago about this, one guy thought that a modulator in the trans. was the problem. I am not much of an auto. trans. expert to know. My trans.(130K miles) shifts hard when cold, after 10 minutes of driving it shifts perfectly. Read the posts on Infin. online mechanic about trans. flushing and Mobil 1.These guys really know about AT care. I switched to Mobil 1 abut two years back and the trans. feels great. I have a 90 FSM for the M30 if you need anything else. Thanks Steve

Mikoriad

hey great thanks, I'll check the voltages and see what I get. Mine shifts hard no matter how warmed up it is. It would be fine if this was just a "hard" shift, but it's bad, sometimes it feels damaging.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Id change your ATF, personally...

Mikoriad

elwesso wrote:Id change your ATF, personally...
I had this done just after I started having the really hard shifts, as stated above thanks though.

NismoChi
Car: 94 J30

Here you go.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”