Where is it?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
cowboyrps13
Car: 89 camaro, 89 240 hatch

Ok, i'm in the process of trying to change my pcv valve and my distributer rotor, i can't seem to find them though. so where exactly are these two parts located, i know the area they're supposed to be located but don't know the exact location. Also when i change the distributer rotor and cap woud i need to reset the timing? i have a FSM but i can't seem to find anything about this in there. My car is a '92 240SX, stock engine. :help since im here and too lazy to make it a seperate post, two nights ago i had a rattling start from my engine, i don't know what it is. It only happens from idle to about 2200 rpm and when im not pushing the gas. Any help would be appreciated. I'm kind of in a time restriction on this so the sooner anybody can help the better, i'm goin to school on thur. and i kind of need it running to get there. Thanks in advance for any help. If u need a better description of the rattle ask and i'll try to help.

Tyler

MikeS14240sx

Rattles are not good:( Can you sort of tell where the sound is coming from? Does the rattle get worse as the engine heats up or does it sound the same as cold? When the rattle started were what rpms were you at? High, low? Mileage? Another details or info can help.

I hope it turns out to be nothing big, I know it sucks buming rides from friends to school after a while. Been there done that.:)

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

the distributor cap is where all your spark plug wries run into, take that off and underneath is the rotor, it should just slide off and slide the new one on. the rotor only goes on one way so you cant mess it up, and the timing does not need to be touched.the pcv valve is underneath the alternator and is a PITA to replace.

could you be more specific on your rattle? where is it coming from and what kind of rattle is it? it may just be something simple like a heat shield.

cowboyrps13

Thanks for the replies. The rattle sounds like its comin from under the valve cover, i know its not the chain guide and the upper timing chain seems tight(i took off the vavle cover to take a peek) the engines got 161000 miles on it and the rattle stays the same weather its hot or cold. the rattle started while i was cruisin one day so id say about 2000 rpm, i was goin 35 in fourth. Oh yeah for some reason when i popped the hood and listened to it it sort of sounded like it was comin from right near the intake manifold. It sounds just like metal on metal rattle, i dont know any other way to describe it. but it gets a louder as the revs get higher so im pretty sure it has something to do with a rotating part. and somewhere around 2200-2500 rpm it stops rattling all together until i drop the rpms back down or i let off the gas. But yeah i messed with the distributor and well i might have stuck the wires on wrong on the dist. because now the car won't turn over. when i took the wires off i completely forgot which wire went to which plug and i might have mixed those up, if someone could would it be possible to draw up a little diagram of the dist. telling which connection each wire plugs into for each cylinder. If not i have to get it towed over to my mechanics and have him fix it.

Tyler

cowboyrps13

Well thanks for your suggestions and responses, but i gave in and just took it to my mechanics, i will be out of a car for about a week but my friends are nice and said they will give me rides and everything, unless i can borrow one of my parents cars. hopefully it wont be too expensive, if it is maybe i will beable to convince my dad to help me get the SR :ylsuper that would rock, even though i would be out of my car for even lonegr it would be worth it. Anyways thanks.

Tyler

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

have you tried checking your oil level, maybe your valves are tapping or its just knocking because you have only one quart of oil in it ? an the fsm should have the firing order of the cylinders in it so you can get the plug wires back on in thier proper places !!!

super_hicas

im looking for my pcv valve too. i cant seem to find it. doesnt it usually go from motor to fuelinjection? where is the alternator? can someone cirlce the area where i should look from my hood. or just take a pic of yours =)

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

the PCV is underneath the alternator. the alternator is pretty much below where the throttle body is. i think you have to get at the PCV from underneath. ive never changed in with the motor in the car so i couldnt tell you the best way to get at it. but i do know its a royal pain in the a$$

Bay Dog
Car: 1985 300z Turbo

Follow the belt from your fan clutch to the pully to the alternator. Facing your engine it is on the left side under where you air intake plastic bends. Can't miss it.

R240NA

SlowFiveOh wrote:the PCV is underneath the alternator. the alternator is pretty much below where the throttle body is. i think you have to get at the PCV from underneath. ive never changed in with the motor in the car so i couldnt tell you the best way to get at it. but i do know its a royal pain in the a$$

The PCV valve is NOT underneath the alternator. It is beside it, on the back side of the lower timing cover. The four ports underneath the intake runners are the suction inlets, follow them down and towards the front of the motor. It is not hard to replace, just time consuming. I did mine it about 25 minutes with the alternator off, figure about 45 if you leave it in place. It is very rare, if ever, that it will give you a problem however so if you can't get to it forget it. Wait until the alternator goes out or when you do a chain job.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”