Where do I find this part?!

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
carlos_knology
Car: 1995 Infiniti J30

This trim clip is for a 1995 J30. It's one of the clips attached to the wood trim around the stereo and AC controls (clips are on the very top of the wood trim).

I'm having my stereo repaired and in the process of removing it, I lost one of these clips.

I called Infiniti of Lisle today and they said they can't find a specific part # in his exploded diagrams but gave me 2 part numbers to try at a Nissan dealer (I dont have a local Infiniti dealer).

So the question is, can you guys think of another place to try. I think I'll go to a body shop tomorrow and see what they say.

Here's a pic of the clip.

carlos_knology

here's a pic

carlos_knology

and another...

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

hey man, i dont know why they couldnt find those part numbers for you...its just a metal pawl.... theres that wood trim up on eBay right now, i know its overkill to get the whole piece, but it probably has those pawls attached... otherwise id just call infinity of lisle again later and see if someone else can get you the number....well heres the link...the auction might end before you get this tho

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...64923

good luck

lonallenq45

I know this might be a stupid question, but did you try finding the part with a magnet?

A telescopic magnet (on the end of a telescopic antenna) comes incredibly handy when working in the enterior of cars (and aircraft for that matter) when trying to find lost parts. It is a definite tool to have in your tool box. I can't think of any parts I've dropped and couldn't find. The telescopic magnet can reach into the smallest recesses that would look like the part couldn't reach but does.

If you haven't tried this it might be your answer. You spend your money on a new tool and get your missing part to boot. I have several of these magnets, but the most used one is the size of a ball-point pen when retracted and extends to about 24".

Lon

carlos_knology

lonallenq45 wrote:I know this might be a stupid question, but did you try finding the part with a magnet?

Lon
I tried finding it but without using a magnet. That's a great idea. I might give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carlos

Jberger

Looks like a fairly standard trim piece to me. Have you tried a local auto upholstery shop or even a custom stereo installer? They usually have plenty of assorted spares which should work.

Lowe's and Home Depot both carry similar clips in the specialty fastener section with Nuts and Bolts. I've used them with success in the past. They may not look exactly the same, but they will generally work once you "fine tune" them with a pair of pliers.

Good Luck!

lonallenq45

carlos_knology wrote:
I tried finding it but without using a magnet. That's a great idea. I might give that a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carlos
After 9 years working for the Navy on a civilian contract, we were required to present all tools used on a job and retrieve all missing parts if any. FOD (Foreign Object Damage) control is one of the most important details in aircraft repair/maintenance. We were required to "shadow" our tool boxes for every tool in it. Shadowing is using some sort of indication that a tool is missing. In our case we would line our tool boxes with rubber foam and cut a space for each and every tool. At a glance you could tell if a tool was missing. As for FOD, we had all kinds of tools to fish dropped items: magnets, mirrors (on a telescopic antenna), mechanical fingers, etc. To this day, when I tell someone to get a tool out of my toolbox I get these really weird looks because every tool has a place. Looks really anal, but is incredibly effective.

Hope you find your clip, either in the car or at a parts place.

Lon

carlos_knology

lonallenq45 wrote:I know this might be a stupid question, but did you try finding the part with a magnet?

A telescopic magnet (on the end of a telescopic antenna) comes incredibly handy when working in the enterior of cars...Lon
Lon, you ARE the man. I went to Lowe's and came home with a telescopic magnet, telescopic mirror, and one of those flexible mechanical claws.

Dug around in the dark depths of the dash board with the magnet until I heard a melodious "plink". Pulled the magnet out to find the elusive clip attached.

Yipee. What a great little tool.

Carlos

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Boo-Ya!!! U.S. military superiority meets japanese technology... It's a beautiful thing.

lonallenq45

Excellent! Another happy ending.

Way to go...

Lon

Return to “General Chat”