Where are the reference marks for KA24DE timing chain?

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
aZinAZoo
Car: tearing cars apart, sometimes putting them back together

Or better yet, is there a write up on pulling the timing chain/gears?

Now, my VG30 (300zx) has reference marks on the back timing cover, on the timing belt, and on the cam sprockets. This KA I'm pulling apart seems to have marks on the sprokets, but that's about it. I'v gathered that at TDC#1, the mark on the bottom sprocket (of the three up in the head) lines up (roughly) with the woodruff key on the crank sprocket and that there are seven links between that mark, and the mark on the exhaust cam sprocket, and seven links between the marks on the intake/exhaust sprockets.

My concern is that when I pull these sprockets/gears so I can pull the head off, that things might get turned or rotated and such. I need to be able to put it back together! Are there any other reference marks that I am missing?

One more question, when I pull the chain tensioner off, I suspect it will extend. Are there any things to be aware of when reassemling, or can I just take some vice grips or a C-clamp and compress it back down?

Nis240sanSX
Car: cars, motorcycles, music, playing guitar

Just use the mating marks on the chain and the sprockets, and long as you have them lined up, you should be good, just make sure cyl. is at TDC. When the marks on the chain and the sprockets are all lined up right, the marks on the 2 cams should be at about 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock, left one being at 12. Hope that helps.

aZinAZoo

that's just it...I don't see any reference marks on the chain itself. What should I be looking for?

Nis240sanSX

when I got my chain it was like dark grey in color. On one side of the chain there were certain links were silver, those links are supposed to line up with the marks on the sprockets, hope that helps.

Brandon

Banzai240
Car: 1997 Nissan 240SX SE

aZinAZoo wrote:that's just it...I don't see any reference marks on the chain itself. What should I be looking for?

I just pulled the head on my '97 KA and the reference links are much darker in color than the rest... Dark grey to black in color.

Good Luck!

aZinAZoo

Please tell me I don't have to pull the oil pan and lower timing cover to get the entire chain off. Can I just slide the idler gear off and out of the way so I can pull the cylinder head up?

I finally broke down and bought the Chiltons. It's actually for the Altima, but I figured a KA24 is a KA24. According to this thing I have to pull the crossmember to pull the oil pan to pull the timing cover, to pull the chain. You gotta be kidding.

Any insight?

Nis240sanSX

There is no way around it, you gotta take off the lower timing cover. You have anyway to get the oil suction thing out. What I did was drop the front swaybar looking thing, stick a jack under the oil pan and raise the engine up enough to stick large sockets under the engine mounts to hold up the engine, once you have the engine raised(take out the jack) and the sway bar lowered, you can lower the oil pan enough to slide it off forwards. Its a b**** to do, and I still have an oil leak from the back of my oil pan where I guess I didn't get enough sealant on it when putting it back together. Just make sure you seal everything back up good when putting it back together. If you have anymore questions just ask.

aZinAZoo

Damnit. Oh well, guess I'v got my work cut out for me. This is my roomates car, that guy owes me some beer for this....

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

240convertedme41

aZinAZoo wrote:Or better yet, is there a write up on pulling the timing chain/gears?

I need to find a write up on the timing chain install for a ka24de... ive found one for a ka24e.. anyone know of one?? ok thanks

BadMojo
Car: 2007 Mazdaspeed 3

Nis240sanSX wrote:What I did was drop the front swaybar looking thing, stick a jack under the oil pan and raise the engine up enough to stick large sockets under the engine mounts to hold up the engine, once you have the engine raised(take out the jack) and the sway bar lowered, you can lower the oil pan enough to slide it off forwards.

That whole socket thing seems like a *real bad* idea. I'm all for improvisation, but that seems pretty dangerous.

hotshot240sx
Car: my 240sx

i can get ahold of that info for timing if you need it...now as for the actuall timing procedure itself...stick to the rules..no short cuts...its not worth it...alot of work...and no time for fun and games...

hotshot240sx
Car: my 240sx

email me if you like for any info..i work at a shop so info will not be hard to get.... [email protected]

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”