When new battery installed, car died with a click.

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
alexALTIMA2013
Car: Nissan Altima 2013 2.5l, 4 cyl, automatic transmission

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance if I get something wrong.

I have the following situation: I replaced a battery in a 2013 Altima SL 2.5 sedan. I got into the car and the dashboard lights were on. When I tried to start it, and the car made an audible click and died. I followed the right procedure (disconnected the negative first, connected it last, positive to positive and so on). I think a fuse may have blown, but I don't see one that is damaged or darkened on the visible fuses located on the positive battery clamp. I am planning to test the fuses in the fuse box next.

Any advice? Am I on the right track with this, or should I be focusing on something other than fuses?

Many thanks in advance!

Alex

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You probably need to establish why you needed the battery in the first place, suppose it was not the issue? As well a 'new' battery to some people is one that came out of another car and has been sitting on the floor for a period of time to run it down. In that case a single click and then all lights dying to not work again could be normal.

It's the assumptions that kill you............dash lights mean nothing, they often work even with a dead battery. It's the starting circuit that is the big proveout of a battery and its' power.

alexALTIMA2013
Car: Nissan Altima 2013 2.5l, 4 cyl, automatic transmission

Thank you, amc49. The old battery got progressively worse in the span of about the last 4 months (it was an original part, so about 4 years old) and had to be boosted a couple of times. The new battery is brand new from Home Depot, and the dash lights do not come after at first powering up. Like you said, they come on even with a dead battery. But I will try to boost this battery and see if that might solve the issue.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

I wouldn't be boosting a supposedly new battery at all, the boosting on a recent car like that could be a problem with electronics. The new battery should be easily hot enough to do the job already. You can put a simple voltmeters' leads across the battery to establish that it is good, a new one better read higher than 12.5 volts.

Gorj
Car: 2017 Nissan Altima SL

It is possible you have a bad battery terminal end or defective battery cable and that could have been why your old battery failed.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”