RB25 When is tuning NEEDED?

A place to discuss the systems and methods of tuning Nissan engines.
Neejay

I understand that it would be beneficial, but when is it absolutely needed? I have a RB25 with a SARD FPR + Walbro , 10-11psi on stock turbo, FMIC, apexi cone filter, 3" turbo-back exhaust (starting with syko turbo outlet). I dynoed at 277hp/277tq on a dynojet. I really need suspension arms and coilovers, but I also have a SAFC2 + Z32 MAFS in possession (yes, I know there are better alternatives). Trying to decide my next move: safc/z32 install = tune OR suspension arms -> coilovers.

Largekid
Car: '96 RB S14 SE, '04 LS6 CTS-V

it is needed so you don't blow your motor, lol. It is always benificial to tune the vehicle to maximize the power and the motors efficiency. Once you put on that maf, you will have to or it will not run right. You can control the maf by the safc I believe, but I have never ran one personally. Your list now dosen't seem like it is NEEDED for a tune, but once that safc and maf goes on it would be in your best interest.

ST240
Car: RB30DET s13
01' Pathy

Sell the safc and get nistune. You won't regret it.

Neejay

Largekid wrote:it is needed so you don't blow your motor, lol. It is always benificial to tune the vehicle to maximize the power and the motors efficiency. Once you put on that maf, you will have to or it will not run right. You can control the maf by the safc I believe, but I have never ran one personally. Your list now dosen't seem like it is NEEDED for a tune, but once that safc and maf goes on it would be in your best interest.
Well, I wouldn't be putting the MAFS and SAFC2 in without getting it tuned at the same time. I can't install myself, and I had it worked out for $300 for installation and tune of it all. Now the guy is leaving the state for good, and I don't really have anyone I trust/know to do it. (I don't trust myself to do a SAFC2 install because I hate electrical wiring)
ST240 wrote:Sell the safc and get nistune. You won't regret it.
Yeah, I know how good nistune is, but then I'd have to track down a Z32TT board, then get someone to solder it, then re-pin ECU, etc, etc $$$. I won't be adding the supporting power mods needed to fully take advantage of Nistune before getting an S14, swapping motors, etc. This will do for now. But that brings me back to my original thoughts of just driving the engine as-is without it being detrimental to itself.

Keep it as is and kinda granny it + suspension OR MAFS+SAFC2 install/tune + still granny it due to lacking suspension

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

i would sort the suspension and braking first before going for more power, more power is useless if you cant put it down safely.
safc + z32 maf = fail, causes more trouble than its worth imho.
just save and then upgrade when it can be done right.

Neejay

Carl H wrote:i would sort the suspension and braking first before going for more power, more power is useless if you cant put it down safely.
Yeah, this is the way I'm leaning at the moment. And I'm not going for more power, per se, just making sure the engine was tuned and more balanced than it is currently (safely). I just wanted to make sure I wasn't damaging my engine (assuming everything else is on point) by not doing some sort of tuning/management based on my current mods.

I guess I can keep the Z32 MAFS and sell the SAFC2...

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

you're fine with what ya got now, the rb25det ecu has such a massive rich and retard when it goes past 7psi that i highly doubt any damage will be done.

flatrate
Car: S14 kouki

my car on 11psi with greddy intake FMIC, stock fuel pump and stock s14 cat back made 267whp and the AFR's were perfectly smooth and around 11.7

Neejay

flatrate wrote:my car on 11psi with greddy intake FMIC, stock fuel pump and stock s14 cat back made 267whp and the AFR's were perfectly smooth and around 11.7

I wish mine was as smooth as yours:

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

Carl H wrote:safc + z32 maf = fail, causes more trouble than its worth imho.
Quoted for Truth.

Krazykouki

Carl H wrote:i would sort the suspension and braking first before going for more power, more power is useless if you cant put it down safely.
How so? I'm running an SAFC 2 now with the Z32 MAF and mine is running fine. What should I watch out for?

For me to run Nistune, I would need to get the Nistune board and Z32 ECU correct?

sydwayz315
Car: 92 240sx

z32 maf is definitely needed unless you run a stand alone... personally, I absolutely would not run any more boost than what you are right now if you look at skyline australia everyone who has ever ran more than 12-14 psi blows the turbo...(mine blew up as well) so if your looking to do more than what you are your gonna need to upgrade that turbo and fuel system....

meet07
Car: 89 180sx rb25det

I used safc and a z32 maf and had nothing but problems with it. Everyt correction I made seemed like it made the engine do what it wanted. Tuning is needed when you up the boost n my opinion..

Neejay

meet07 wrote:I used safc and a z32 maf and had nothing but problems with it. Everyt correction I made seemed like it made the engine do what it wanted. Tuning is needed when you up the boost n my opinion..
Thanks, but I sold the car in February 2011. This is good for people who may search though! :)

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

This^^^

Return to “Engine Tuning”