Wheel spacers

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Jaymes
Car: 2017 QX50 BEAST WAGON

Has anyone installed wheel spacers on their ex35/37/qx50? I'm thinking of having my rear wheels stick out a little more, and leaving the fronts alone since they are pretty flush.

If anyone has done them, Any particular brands that you would recommend?

Do they damage the wheels or put any kind of unnecessary stress on the rest of the car's suspension?

Thanks

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

The further you move the wheels out from the hub, the more leverage you are putting on that piece of axle, set that spinning and you have a significant amount of force to analyze. Wheel offset merely puts all the spacing adjustment into the wheel, so a different offset will move your tires out. Adding spacers is very similar, but now you have an extra set of bolts holding it all together, so it's not as ideal or strong as a wheel with proper offset built into it's design. While that's all fine and interesting in theory, there's the reality of your car. A lot of the above has to do with really widened cars, like with over fenders and flares and the wheels moved out 6 inches and more. For regular cars with regular wheels, a spacer up to about an inch thick is just fine. Less is better, but there's little to no real risk for an inch of spacer. Because it's simple bolts and metal in a critical location, I'd go with something semi-reputable, yet not expensive. I hope that helps a bit.

Getting a hair wider in the rubber will move the tire closer to the fender as well...

Jaymes

Thanks for that post centralcoaster. I was thinking of going max 1 inch, maybe less

Jaymes

Thinking of going with this set for the rears, and maybe 15mm in the front.

https://www.titanwheelaccessories.com/c ... a-66-1-hub

Any inputs on this particular brand?

Jaymes

decided to go with another brand from amazon. Went with 20mm all around. Check it out

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Doesn't look too shabby! Now get to work on a drop and stance! ( I'm kidding of course, unless you actually do it)

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

I find this offset quite aesthetically pleasing... I mean, it looks really good! Better than before. I like a little clearance for suspension travel in a SUV anyway, so this looks pretty sharp to me. Well done!

Jaymes

Ace2cool wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:07 pm
Doesn't look too shabby! Now get to work on a drop and stance! ( I'm kidding of course, unless you actually do it)
Thanks. I will probably leave it at that and no more :D. Nice TT

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:30 am
I find this offset quite aesthetically pleasing... I mean, it looks really good! Better than before. I like a little clearance for suspension travel in a SUV anyway, so this looks pretty sharp to me. Well done!
Thank you sir. I do find that the steering does require a little more force to turn because of the geometry involved. The suspension I'm sure is also taking a little more beating due to the wheels having more leverage on the components holding it up. It does look pretty cool though, which is basically what I wanted to achieve

gkdyeung
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD with Tech
Black on Black

maybe related but maybe not...
i'm looking at a set of wheels with the exact same specs as my oem wheels
18 X 8. except the offset is 50 (compared to oem 47).
apart from the wheel "sticking out" by 3mm, any issues with function/safety?
i'm thinking it should be fine (if it can handle the changes from a spacer).

Jaymes

So that is a 3mm difference all around? I'm not sure if that would make a dramatic change. Only way to find out is to throw them on and drive around with it on and see if you can live with it.

I decided to remove the spacers because it dulled the steering feel of the car. As much as it looked good, it took away the nimble and direct steering feel which drew me to the car in the first place. There is some complex geometry and physics principles at hand here, which I started reading on another forum but quickly lost interest. In the end, this is my daily driver and I am usually very tired after work and I don't need the extra steering effort when I'm just trying to get home.

If anybody is interested in this set, let me know. It is 4 of the 20mm spacers that will fit the 350z, g35, g37, fx35, fx37, etc. They are practically brand new

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”