Wheel Spacers...just for looks?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

RobertsnewQ wrote:DOn't use slip-on spacers. They're illegal in most racing classes for a reason. THe problem (as Kevin rightly pointed out) is that they stress the studs since they apply force further from the supported inner end. THink about it - shorter bolts are stronger than longer ones.
THANK you. I post facts to try to help people out that will read some replies on here and believe them, then go out and do the wrong thing based on someone else's WRONG information. I know I might get carried away, but when I know something, it frustrates me to see others think it's wrong (and take bad advice), when I KNOW it's right.

Quote »the kind that are "bolt-on" are not very safe IMO and id never recommend them. Always change them out for longer studs...[/quote]Worst, advice ever. Opinions don't count here, facts do, and facts > opinion.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Kevin, we get the idea. I think I have shown some restraint and played fair, now your making this personal (yet again). I would really appreciate it if you try not to throw in those closet slams.. Your clearly trying harder to prove me wrong than you are actually bringing your claims to the table... You have gone out of your way to prove me wrong by only picking my comments out. Thats fine, I suppose, no skin off my back. I will be wrong if it will make things easier!

With that in mind, lets try and keep this nice otherwise i'll X the thread, and thats a time where opinon=fact ... .

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

When in doubt ... Google.

Here's one that supports Kevin, et al:

"Slip-on SpacersThese are the discs that slide over your studs. For small thicknesses (1/4" or less) they are fine. For greater thicknesses, the wheel studs are seriously weakened. The reason is that the studs have a greater bending moment since the lugnuts are further away. Under braking or acceleration, the studs would be stressed more, and might break.

Bolt-on AdaptersBillet adapters bolt onto the car just as a wheel would. The adapters have their own studs that the rim bolts onto. This design is just as strong as without adapters, since the stud forces haven't changed."

http://www.skulte.com/adapterfaq.html

At Houston Raceway Park, spacers and adapters are allowed in Modifed class, but no adapters in b0mber class.

"WHEELS:a. Any steel wheel to a maximum 8” width. Any offset from 2” through 5” is allowed.b. After-market 5/8” lug studs are recommended.c. 1” diameter lug nuts are required.d. Wheel spacers are not allowed with stock studs. e. Wheel adapters are not allowed."

http://www.houstonraceway.com/...s.asp

IMCA allows both ... with improved studs.

"No wheel spacers allowed with OEM studs. Wheel adapters are treated as spacers and may be aluminum, maximum 1.50-inches thick."

http://www.imca.com/rules.php?divisionid=7

It really doesn't appear to be a big issue, as long as you use improved studs when you use a spacer, and as long as you don't get all extreme about it - 1/4 inch at most. Adapters can go bigger.

Modified by 96Qowner at 3:39 PM 4/7/2006
Modified by 96Qowner at 3:48 PM 4/7/2006

Falkdesigns
Car: 1998 Q45t ~ EXE

Correct, and ultimately, Wes was arguing against the bolt-on spacers in favor of slip on spacers in the name of safety, when in reality, it's the other way around, and my replies were correct.

Sorry if I seem like a jerk, but when I KNOW I'm right about something I just get like that.

96Qowner
Car: 1996 Q45

Falkdesigns wrote:when I KNOW I'm right about something I just get like that.
Heheh, ya, we noticed that.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”