Wheel sizes and speedometer readings? G35/G37 wheels?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Redbeauty84ZX

I know that adding a larger wheel/tire combo can effect the accuracy of a speedometer. How does this work for our cars given that there are 2 or three different wheel sizes depending on the package/year? If you opted for the larger wheel package did this include a different speedometer calibration?

Also considering swapping to G35/G37 wheels and was wondering people's experience was that have done this swap?

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

The smallest OEM wheels/tires for the EX35 were 225/60R17, and 225/55R18 were optional. I don't believe that there were any tweaks to the speedometer, as the difference in circumference between the two sizes was only 0.4%. Later models had the option of going with 245/45R19, yet the overall difference in circumference is again 0.4%.

I don't think you really have to worry about the calibration of the speedometer as long as you pick one of the OEM tire sizes. The one thing you might want to look into is the wheel offset. I don't recall exactly what they are for the OEM wheels, but it's usually not a problem as long as you're not too far from the original offset or aren't going with a really wide wheel.

I personally have no experience with other wheels, but I am running a slightly smaller tire at 235/55R17. My speedometer does read a bit high when checked against those radar measured speed displays on the side of the road, but I don't remember how accurate my speedometer was to begin with prior to the tire change.

Redbeauty84ZX

Thanks for the reply!

Chelsea John
Car: EX35

Site to compare various tire sizes..

http://tiresize.com/comparison/

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”